Is $150-195 Too Expensive for a Relaxer&Style?

How much do you pay for your relaxer and style?

• < $50

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • $50-100

Votes: 133 63.9%
  • $100+

Votes: 14 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xerxes

Basically, would you pay about $200 for a relaxer and style or start self-relaxing???

Ok, I've been stretching for 14 weeks and I scheduled a relaxer appt for this Saturday. The stylist gave me an estimate of $150-195 for a relaxer, rollerset and trim. So she basically wants $200+ and this seems way too expensive. However, she has done my hair well before and I don't want a cheaper stylist that might mess up my hair (I'm a former natural and don't want to have to BC again to a fade). lol

This stylist would normally charge me just $100 when I would get a relaxer every 10 weeks, should I have just lied to her?

But I don't think my hair, being that it is hopefully just past neck length now, warrants costing $150+ to relax. She only needs to put relaxer on the newgrowth and not treat my head like virgin hair like I think she wants to do so badly as well as trim/cut all of the growth I finally achieved.

I am almost ready to consider starting to do my own relaxers, but I am so scared of messing up. However, thanks to Megatek, I can comb through my newgrowth (which I never could before this long post a relaxer) and I might self relax this June/July if I get the nerve.

I feel so freaking stupid giving this woman all of this money just because I don't trust myself enough to use a $10 kit. $200...that's like half my tithes each month. I love my hair, but my budget can't take this constant assault even if I relax just about 4 times a year (then $50 rollersets twice a month, $120 for braids, etc).

Ok, I have vented, please give me some advice on being a self-stylist or taking your hair care into your own hands. I am so seriously considering doing my own hair from now on, but I need so much more courage or a stimulus check. :)

xcuzememiss

I think that's way too much. And not only because I live in NYC where you can get a relaxer and style for under 50(and come out lookin like you paid a grip). It's the principle. NYC is the most expensive city to live in yet we have reasonable prices for hair. I think hat salons really try to take advantage of their customers. I betcha if people stop going they'd lower their prices. Whew!! Ok I'm done. LOL

mlj

That's way to much money IMO .. She is ripping you off... Look at some other women who's hair you admire and ask them for recommendations or ask a trusted friend to help you with your relaxer... she sees you coming from a mile away... my vote don't do it... high price doesn't mean higher quality

*closer*2*my*dreams*

Nope that's not too much! I paid $175 for a texlax (I texlaxed the ebginning of March; I can't seem to change my ticker & insert a new one). She used Mizani Butter Blends (What I thought would be best for my hair). She gave me a thorough consult and listened to my concerns. She also was very gentle and made sure not to overlap. I loved it. Plus I went to an Aveda Salon, so I already knew I was going to spend a grip...

xcuzememiss

And another thing. LOL. I'd go on YouTube and watch and practice applying relaxer with a conditioner1st. I understand that you don't want to sacrifice your hair being damaged, but sonetjings gotta give. Have you tried looking for a more reasonably priced stylist. Maybe spending a 150 for a perm every 3 months is better than getting $50 wash and sets every 2 weeks. I'd deff. Try to learn to do your own rollersets first. Ok now I'm done for real. LOL

ajacks

I think it is too expensive; however, I would pay it if I thought the stylist was amazing.

Based on this comment:

This stylist would normally charge me just $100 when I would get a relaxer every 10 weeks, should I have just lied to her?

I would not do it. Why should you pay more just b/c you are not relaxing every 10 weeks. She is definitely ripping you off.

PreciousPearl

OMG. That's way too much for a relaxer and trim. Even this stylist normally charging you $100 when you would get a relaxer every 10 weeks I think is too much as well.

KweenBeeDiva

In all honesty, there are sooooo many things that could influence paying any amount for hair care: income, cost of living, whether or not the salon charges by length(even though the new growth is about the same for almost all legnths), whether or not they charge by the hour, if the stylist is he only person in the area who can cater/take proper care of your hair, etc...

Where I live, that is WAAAAY to much, but I can bet that in places like Miami or Atlanta, in posh areas that cater to upper middle or high income clientel, $200.00 might be the shampoo and blydrying price...ALONE!!!! So it depends.

Ariana4000

You could get a weave at some places for that much and keep on stretching. I think that is a lot. Do it yourself and put some scalp protector on your ends so you don't overlap your previously relaxed hair.

Aggie

Well I live in the Bahamas where everything is expensive so that would be just around normal for me but I usually pay around $130.00 for a relaxer, color rinse, trim, treatment and style.

ETA: By the way, I have not paid this in a long time because I have been relaxing, color rinsing, and treating my own hair but I still go to my stylist to have it trimmed when needed:yep:.

Xerxes

I think that's way too much. And not only because I live in NYC where you can get a relaxer and style for under 50(and come out lookin like you paid a grip). It's the principle. NYC is the most expensive city to live in yet we have reasonable prices for hair. I think hat salons really try to take advantage of their customers. I betcha if people stop going they'd lower their prices. Whew!! Ok I'm done. LOL

Wow, you pay less in NYC. I never would have thought that would be true. I guess my stylist is either compensating due to the bad economy (i.e. fewer clients) or considers her skills to be that good. I admit that she and the others in her shop are good, but I have never paid that much before.

That's way to much money IMO .. She is ripping you off... Look at some other women who's hair you admire and ask them for recommendations or ask a trusted friend to help you with your relaxer... she sees you coming from a mile away... my vote don't do it... high price doesn't mean higher quality

I will ask for referrals for other stylists, even though I hate canceling appointments.

I can't even read your post b/c the title made me angry.

Yes, that is WAY too much!

LMAO!!!

I think it is too expensive; however, I would pay it if I thought the stylist was amazing.

Based on this comment:

I would not do it. Why should you pay more just b/c you are not relaxing every 10 weeks. She is definitely ripping you off.

In her own words, 14 weeks post relaxer makes my hair the same as "virgin" hair, therefore she has to charge me as if this were my first relaxer.

OMG. That's way too much for a relaxer and trim. Even this stylist normally charging you $100 when you would get a relaxer every 10 weeks I think is too much as well.

I agree, I just have to find a more reasonably priced stylist and/or learn how to take care of my own hair. I hate being at someone else's mercy.

Xerxes

Nope that's not too much! I paid $175 for a texlax (I texlaxed the ebginning of March; I can't seem to change my ticker & insert a new one). She used Mizani Butter Blends (What I thought would be best for my hair). She gave me a thorough consult and listened to my concerns. She also was very gentle and made sure not to overlap. I loved it. Plus I went to an Aveda Salon, so I already knew I was going to spend a grip...

Wow, I am off to stalk your fotki to see what a $175 texlax looks like!

Oh, and my lady promises to give me a consult and whatnot, but it normally includes a list of suggestions for other costly services I don't care for. lol

soulie

In the stickies at the top of the forum there is a support thread for self-relaxers. I suggest LEARNING that thread, then as someone already said, practice with conditioner until you are comfortable with the application and until you get your timing right.

rsmith

I feel that it is to high. I would not want to pay that every time I needed my hair done. Right now I am natural and I dont ever want to go to a shop.

Xerxes

You could get a weave at some places for that much and keep on stretching. I think that is a lot. Do it yourself and put some scalp protector on your ends so you don't overlap your previously relaxed hair.

I agree and I would rather have a pretty weave after paying so much. :)

Xerxes

ETA: By the way, I have not paid this in a long time because I have been relaxing, color rinsing, and treating my own hair but I still go to my stylist to have it trimmed when needed:yep:.

One day, I hope to be able to say the same about myself.

In the stickies at the top of the forum there is a support thread for self-relaxers. I suggest LEARNING that thread, then as someone already said, practice with conditioner until you are comfortable with the application and until you get your timing right.

I've begun to read through that thread, for future reference. But right now, I'm getting phone numbers for cheaper stylists for Saturday. Thank you so much ladies, I'm probably like 3 months from doing my own first relaxer. :)

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
Basically, would you pay about $200 for a relaxer and style or start self-relaxing???

Not unless it came with a guarantee that I would never had to relax again.

I agree. It sounds like the stylist in this case is just trying to pad her pocket...

I can't even read your post b/c the title made me angry.

Yes, that is WAY too much!

:lachen:

rosalindb

In her own words, 14 weeks post relaxer makes my hair the same as "virgin" hair, therefore she has to charge me as if this were my first relaxer.
That is ridiculous, are you sure she was not playing an April Fools joke. When I used to have my curly perm years ago, I would go every 3 months. My friends used to get their hair relaxed every 3 months or so too. She is definitely trying it on with you. Virgin hair

Keshieshimmer

That is ridiculous, are you sure she was not playing an April Fools joke. When I used to have my curly perm years ago, I would go every 3 months. My friends used to get their hair relaxed every 3 months or so too. She is definitely trying it on with you. Virgin hair

I agree this this woman is SHADY! Please learn how to relax your own hair. Or find an alternative stylist.

prospurr4

There is no way I would pay that much money to get my hair done. Of course, I may be a little biased because I haven't sat in a stylist's chair since 1982; I'm a total DIYer.

My advice: Since you indicate an interest in eventually learning to do your own relaxers, I would start now, because it would be easier for you to learn at your current length (NL). Then, when your hair gets longer, you'll have already fine-tuned your skills.

discobiscuits

I've paid prices like that before, however, he is one of the best in the city and my hair was always healthy. It was hella expensive but for me worth it considering he was no run-of-the-mill joker. In fact that is the stylist who was honest with me and told me that my hair texture did not "need" any relaxer and that I could go natural and get the same results with just a flat iron if I wanted it straight. To me, his honesty was the best. He didn't have to tell me that b/c he kind of lost a client when I went natural. When it comes to most things in life, you get what you pay for and quality is not cheap.

In your situation I'd investigate thoroughly before paying those prices to make sure it is worth it.

LayneJ

Wow, you pay less in NYC. I never would have thought that would be true. I guess my stylist is either compensating due to the bad economy (i.e. fewer clients) or considers her skills to be that good. I admit that she and the others in her shop are good, but I have never paid that much before.

I will ask for referrals for other stylists, even though I hate canceling appointments.

LMAO!!!

I agree, I just have to find a more reasonably priced stylist and/or learn how to take care of my own hair. I hate being at someone else's mercy.

Okay. The bolded puts a different spin on things, IMO. I would never pay that much money for services done by someone who said the bolded; she can't be forreal. At best, she doesn't sound as if she knows/cares about healthy hair. (How does going a few months without a relaxer equal virgin hair?) At worst, she's trying to play you.

And I could see if you were a waist-length natural, but you're neck-length coming in for a touch-up? Again I have to ask, is she forreal?

Please search the forum for tips on self-relaxing. Try YouTube as well. I can't remember her name, but she's a member here; she relaxes section at a time, instead of doing her entire head at once, because she doesn't want to mess up. You may can do that, as well. Good luck with whatever you decide!