APL: Do you have to wear REAL protective styles

SimpleKomplexity

....Man....I just want to be APL. :look: I will be happy if I EVER reach APL :grin::grin:...I have come to the conclusion...that my hair is not going to get longer than what it is now LOOL....without maybe bunning? I'm in the rollert set challenge, but I'm scared that since my hair is constantly rubbing against my clothes,it's not getting any longer. Do you think you have to wear REAL protective styles (Buns, Falls, Braids) to get to APL from Shoulder Length? What's a girl to do?

shadylane21

Well I am just entering the relm of APL and I did proctive styling because I did not want my hair catching on my clothes;however, somepeople do not use protective styling and have great results.

Traycee

....Man....I just want to be APL. :look: I will be happy if I EVER reach APL :grin::grin:...I have come to the conclusion...that my hair is not going to get longer than what it is now LOOL....without maybe bunning? I'm in the rollert set challenge, but I'm scared that since my hair is constantly rubbing against my clothes,it's not getting any longer. Do you think you have to wear REAL protective styles (Buns, Falls, Braids) to get to APL from Shoulder Length? What's a girl to do?

I'am a protective style girl.....But I don't wear protective styles because I'm worried about hair rubbing on clothes...lol....I believe you can reach your goals wearing your hair out....Yes if your wearing a wool jacket everyday you might have a problem !!!!!!!

I choose to wear protective styles because .....My hair is healthier when I stay away from heat.... So protective styles allows me to look cute with out putting heat to my hair....

*Frisky*

I highly recommend doing protective styling going from SL to APL...that is the most difficult period IMO

audacious1

I'am a protective style girl.....But I don't wear protective styles because I'm worried about hair rubbing on clothes...lol....I believe you can reach your goals wearing your hair out....Yes if your wearing a wool jacket everyday you might have a problem !!!!!!!

I choose to wear protective styles because .....My hair is healthier when I stay away from heat.... So protective styles allows me to look cute with out putting heat to my hair....

oh my goodness are your hair is so pretty!

OP, are you being patient?

I'm in the realm of APL, and I just let my hair be. In hindsight, I did use protective styles, but only because I didn't use direct heat and I was too lazy to do anything with my hair. After I washed/conditioned, I threw it in a bun because I wasn't going to blow dry (direct heat) and wasn't going to rollerset and sit under a dryer. :lol: As a result, my hair is always in a perpetual (uncute) bun.

I just think you need to be patient. Someone has in their signature "a watched pot never boils." It's the truth. You'll get to APL before you know it if you don't do length checks every month.

Soliel185

I think protective styles will help you get their faster - you don't have to worry about daily accidental breakage, helps control splits (no direct heat or rubbing) also, it helps to keep your hair off your mind b/c you can't see it all the time.

I just got a mini chop b/c I'm transitioning, now what i have left is all texlaxed and natural hair - I got rid of the bone straight ends. I wore protective styles from June of last year - pretty much up to now, and I've basically grown a whole new head of hair in less than a year. I don't think I could have done it if I didn't protect my ends, especially.

mrsjohnson75

ITA...this is the case with me.

MzOptimistic

In my opinion going from shoulder length to APL can be a challenge because your hair is constantly rubbing against your clothes. I remember when I was shoulder length, a very wise smart member( ANKY)told me to wear my hair pinned up, doing that stage especially, and I followed her advice and I'm on my way to midback now. Honestly, I think you would benefit from having your hair pinned up but that's just my opinion:perplexed

~What goes up, Must come down~:grin:

classi123

I weaved from chin length to close to APL... I noticed that when I took out my weave i been playing in my hair too much. I hope that it does mess with my fullness and drowth or else I will be weaving it all summer. My friend went from APL to MBL in a year weaving.....

TLC1020

I wear my hair in protectives especially when I was trying to reach APL b/c for some that is the hardest stage. Some women do just fine w/o wearing protective styles and some don't so I didn't want to take any chances with the over health and progress of my hair getting to APL.

SimpleKomplexity

I think my biggest problem is that I haven't mastered doing buns and updos yet so when I do where protective styles, I just don't look kute

LovelyZ

That's how I did it. growing process was much faster than it would have been had I been styling my hair daily. i retained more hair and needed less trims.

Hair Iam

I highly recommend doing protective styling going from SL to APL...that is the most difficult period IMO

:ohwell: I have to agree..save the down styles for special occasions ..even when I where my hair straight during the day its up

GoldenBreeze

Protective styles do help retain more of the growth that you get when your hair is growing from SL to APL Can you get there without using them? Certainly, but it will take much longer. It will also require a lot more work with respect to caring for your ends.

I'm another protective style girl, because it is easy. I wear twists or box braids occasionally, and wear it straight and down maybe twice a year. I'd say 95% of the time it's in a bun or a pinned braid.

almondjoi85

I did sloppy buns, tuck unders, and used lots of clips to just keep the hair up. Roller set, then put it up. Or wash, airdry then bun. Just keep it off your clothes, unless you plan on wearing silk and satin all day :lachen:

Last edited:

bellebebe

Man, I finally reached apl... I went and got a blowout, girl now I'm one inch away from apl. I lost soo much hair at the salon. she did my sh!t dirty :-(

SimpleKomplexity

Man, I finally reached apl... I went and got a blowout, girl now I'm one inch away from apl. I lost soo much hair at the salon. she did my sh!t dirty :-(
Ahhhh wassup girlie!! I missed you! We haven't talked in a while!! GIRL You kno the salon is the devil!! They some hatas!! You'll get that inch in a month and a half!! Can't wait!

SimpleKomplexity

I lvoe my rollersets, but it just seems like it's stuck...

Maybe I can experiment with clips or something for like 2 weeks to see if I retain any growth from doing that....hmmm....:perplexed

Back to the drawing board!

miss Congeniality

I plan on wearing protective styles for majority of the year. I think it will help me get to my goal faster and to maintain it when I get there.