Protective styles until past APL?

natieya

Good morning everyone! I noticed that some people who have lovely hair don't seem to use protective styles. However, these people already have hair that is past APL...most are BSL or quite close to it. So, my question is: Are protective styles needed until you reach a certain length and then it's ok to not use them? I am asking because one day, when I reach BSL, I would LOVE to be able to wear it down. I think that I would deserve to, after all the work and dedication of achieving such a goal, right?
Thanks in advance everyone! :)

glamazon386

They say shoulder length is the hardest length to get past bc the ends of the hair is constantly brushing on the shoulders/collar. Once you get to APL and beyond, it lays flat on your clothes so the friction isn't an issue anymore. I think that's why most people keep their hair in protective styles until they get past that point.

shunta

bmoreflyygirl said:
They say shoulder length is the hardest length to get past bc the ends of the hair is constantly brushing on the shoulders/collar. Once you get to APL and beyond, it lays flat on your clothes so the friction isn't an issue anymore. I think that's why most people keep their hair in protective styles until they get past that point.

I agree 100%.

Bmore, I love your siggy, too.:)

*Frisky*

I think protective styles can be used for all lengths of hair. Even when you have long hair there are things that can damage it. Getting caught in things like purse straps, seat belts, etc. Even the cold weather could dry out your hair. I don't think once people get to a certain length they totally stop using protective styles but maybe not as much so they can enjoy their hair more.

HoneyDew

marie170 said:
I think protective styles can be used for all lengths of hair. Even when you have long hair there are things that can damage it. Getting caught in things like purse straps, seat belts, etc. Even the cold weather could dry out your hair. I don't think once people get to a certain length they totally stop using protective styles but maybe not as much so they can enjoy their hair more.

My hair is not long, but I just started have this problem recently. I notice that is is getting caught in my purse strap and backpack strap a lot. Especially when I get out of the car or if I've been working out and my curls have fallen to make my hair hang lower.

I don't wear protective styles because I prefer my hair out so it may take me longer to reach my APL goal. That's fine - I will enjoy my hair in the meantime. :) But wintertime is the hardest for me. I cringe when I have to go outside in the cold and my hair is out. That is the only time when I will at least try to cover it or something.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
My hair is at the critical stage (about 2" below shoulder) where it easily breaks and thins out. I always get to this length where it's inching towards APL and then chop it off. This time, I'm trying not to let that happen. So I've been wearing my hair up daily in different protective styles. I can't see that ending anytime soon at least until I get to a comfortable place where my hair looks long AND healthy. I know that my hair grows, but growth means nothing if it's not healthy. Everyone swears by protective styling, so that's what I'm doing.

KiniKakes

marie170 said:

I still use protective styles because it's just more convenient for me, in general. There are definitely things that can damage it when you wear it out no matter what length you are. So i feel most comfortable in protective styles during the week. I enjoy it out on the weekends, but that's about it.

Although the longer it gets, the prettier.... it also becomes more of a bother (imo). So i dont mind the protective styles at all. Not to mention that each time i wear it out, im feeling like i need to comb thru it, and combing is my kryptonite. Its not good for my hair at all.

bLackButtaFly

I would figure that when your hair got longer it would be a nice break to put it in a protective style for a while. When my hair was really long when I was younger I used to wear it out like th first day after it got permed and after that it was bunned. I did that until I was like 15 or so.

*Frisky*

KiniKakes said:
I still use protective styles because it's just more convenient for me, in general. There are definitely things that can damage it when you wear it out no matter what length you are. So i feel most comfortable in protective styles during the week. I enjoy it out on the weekends, but that's about it.

Although the longer it gets, the prettier.... it also becomes more of a bother (imo). So i dont mind the protective styles at all. Not to mention that each time i wear it out, im feeling like i need to comb thru it, and combing is my kryptonite. Its not good for my hair at all.

I agree...when my hair is down I am always messing with it and it is some what of a bother but I want to keep growing.