APL 2012 Challenge

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Hi Ladies, just checkin in, nothing new to report still in braids until the end of the month. Keeping it moisturized everyday with water. Hope everyone is doing well.

Khaiya

I've been having a fruit smoothie every morning n I love it. Planning to add in a vegetable one in a few days when I can buy all the stuff I need.

QUEENJAMES231

Ugh! I have been sick this week so I,ve been slacking on pretty much everything :perplexed

I'm Finally going to drag myself out of bed and get it together today. First up I'm going to try a green smoothie recipe :lick: make sure I get my water and vitamins in, and maybe even co wash to tonight!

lilyofthenile

What is bad in coffee again? Is tea the same? I have at least 1 cup a day of tea and then maybe a cup of coffee. It's hard in the winter time to put these down but...it's something I can also try to work on if need be. :grin:

The caffeine in coffee increases water excretion. I don't drink enough water as it is so I really need to cut it out lol, I still drink tea though, which doesn't have as much caffeine as coffee. It's definitely hard to put it down LOL especially if you have a fast paced life and need the caffeine to stay awake... but I am willing to sacrifice.

pookaloo83

My hair is dry and in need if a wash. I'm trying to hold out till tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna wash tonight. I cant take it.

kittenz

When was the last time you clarified your hair?
I think you're addressing me, if not oh well:lachen: I don't remember (whenever my clarify con ran out), maybe a month ago... Anywho I co-washed and used all my usual suspects last night and I think I'm back to normal. No more honey for me:nono:

kittenz

Ugh! I have been sick this week so I,ve been slacking on pretty much everything :perplexed

I'm Finally going to drag myself out of bed and get it together today. First up I'm going to try a green smoothie recipe :lick: make sure I get my water and vitamins in, and maybe even co wash to tonight!
I've been drinking at least one green smoothie everyday since last friday. :lick: I love them!

indarican

so i have definetly am becoming way to obsessed with length, i was up at 2 am this morning doing length checks.(i went to sleep really early woke up at 12:30 and couldnt get back to sleep) bad part, my brain started racing with all the possibilities once i get to a certain length, all images were of me whipping my hair everywhich a way.:lachen: but it was hard for me to stop and try and force myself to sleep.
Good part, with some acrobatics i can reach up and grab my hair in the back back, it definetly has grown!!:grin:

But i think im going to not check length again until my birthday, hopefully after a week or so the urges wont be so serious.

lilyofthenile

I used to do green smoothies religiously last Summer. I really felt like it made a difference in my energy levels too. I definitely feel inspired to go back to that again ^^

Evolving78

i was up around 2am too looking at YT vids, looking at folks with my goal length. i went to be around 8:40pm.

so i have definetly am becoming way to obsessed with length, i was up at 2 am this morning doing length checks.(i went to sleep really early woke up at 12:30 and couldnt get back to sleep) bad part, my brain started racing with all the possibilities once i get to a certain length, all images were of me whipping my hair everywhich a way.:lachen: but it was hard for me to stop and try and force myself to sleep.
Good part, with some acrobatics i can reach up and grab my hair in the back back, it definetly has grown!!:grin:

But i think im going to not check length again until my birthday, hopefully after a week or so the urges wont be so serious.

sydwrites

Sorry I havent posted much, but ive been alternating between rollersets and protective styles. Sistaslicks book on the Kindle is which is pretty good, so I think im finally getting my moisture/ protein balance game together. Im entertaining getting a sew-in next month which really helped with retaining length for me in the past... just costs a grip lol.

NikkiQ

I just realized that I haven't length checked since the last picture I posted in here. First not washing my hair in almost 2 weeks and now this?! :thud: I must be ill.

kupenda

I refuse to do an official length check until my birthday (march). Although I can see a lot of progress with low manipulation, I don't want to get too excited. I shampooed and DCed last night because I've been exercising pretty hard. My scalp felt icky. I'm still here though. Not posting as often because I no longer have access to wifi and 3G is a pain lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

Evolving78

NikkiQ
don't start slipping! lol even though that ***** cut off too much, you are off to a good start this year. i know cutting hair doesn't make it grow, but it seems like any time someone has gotten a fresh cut, the hair grows back like weeds.

but it could just be one of those things. i'm so scared not to do anything, i end up doing too much. since i didn't get to dye my hair a few days ago, i'm going to do it this weekend. i love having my hair Jet Black when it is long. it looks so sleek and sexy to me. i can't stand my own hair color. it's a dull dirty brown color. so coloring my hair will get me in the mindset for the coming months of good hair retention.

plus i wanna color my hair way before i get a touchup. i would just stick with a rinse, but the rinse isn't going to cover this red i still have in my hair.

NikkiQ

^^^Yeah I really need a quick swift kick in the butt to get me back on the ball. I did start taking my Nioxin yesterday. I can't seem to find anyone that will braid my hair for me, so looks like I may end up going back to my trusty Celies again. I'll be working out and cowashing often. I don't think the twists will last for long with cowashing twice a week.

GIJane

The caffeine in coffee increases water excretion. I don't drink enough water as it is so I really need to cut it out lol, I still drink tea though, which doesn't have as much caffeine as coffee. It's definitely hard to put it down LOL especially if you have a fast paced life and need the caffeine to stay awake... but I am willing to sacrifice.

I thought that tea (black) had as much caffeine as coffee.

I think you're addressing me, if not oh well:lachen: I don't remember (whenever my clarify con ran out), maybe a month ago... Anywho I co-washed and used all my usual suspects last night and I think I'm back to normal. No more honey for me:nono:

The reason why I asked is because I notice that when I have a lot of product build-up, my hair will not stay moisturized. If you find that honey is not the culprit, you might look into clarifying.

faithVA

The reason why I asked is because I notice that when I have a lot of product build-up, my hair will not stay moisturized. If you find that honey is not the culprit, you might look into clarifying.

I had always heard that tea had as much caffeine as coffee but per Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211, a regular brewed cup of coffee has 95 to 250 mg of caffeine and black tea has 14 to 61 mg of caffeine.

kittenz

Thank you! I sure will:yep: I know using heavy butters and stuff causes build-up so I have to add clarifying (regularly) back into my routine.

I did a flexi rod set last night after my co-wash and it came out okay but my hair is soft (and that's all I care about) and it isn't making noise when I touch it now:look::lol:

LilMissSunshine5

NikkiQ- Since you requested it :buttkick:
:lachen::lachen: I need to get my butt back in gear too...we all have our periods of feeling blah about our hair! I just washed my hair yesterday after almost 2 weeks...my scalp was not happy with me :nono: We are going to get it together :yep: You already inspired me to take my Nioxin today :yay:

lilyofthenile

It doesn't, but then again it also depends on other factors such as how long you're brewing your tea for etc.

I drink green tea though, which has significantly less caffeine in comparison to coffee.

growbaby

So I was bein a wonderful gf and was helping my bf clean out his closet n we found an unopened (still sealed) 50count of natures blend hair vits! They don't expire until October. Score 1 for me :) .. He found them an said "hey can't u take these vitamins too for ur hair growing thing?" LOL. Great way to start my day.

Curlygirly9

~Current hair length
CBL
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Texturized
~APL goal month
April
~Current Reggie and styling choices
Once a week DC on dry hair with Aussie Moist, shampoo and condition with John Freida Root Awakening Nourishing Moisture, moisturize with Mizani Coconut Souffle, style with Olive or Argan oil Eco Styler gel (if needed), fantasia ic hair polisher olive anti-breakage hair treatment (when needed), once a month giovanni 50:50 balanced hydrating-clarifying shampoo.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Bun and wear updos more often.
~Post a beginning picture
-I will post one later :)

Last edited:

tiredbeauty

@blcbuty

I just did the same thing (bolded) but couldn't do it overnight because it was to runny and I was nervous of how stiff my hair would come out. Plus the conditioning cap elastic I was using was done for.

What oil do you use and what's your follow up for moisture?

This is my first time making the concoction and I'm not 100% I would do it again.

My hair doesn't come out stiff at all, but I usually only do Moisture DC's and protein maybe once a month, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I actually wrap my hair is saran wrap and then put the conditioning cap over that to protect my pillow and I sleep on a satin pillowcase, so there is virtually no movement of the cap.

At first my concoction came out runny too, I just added more mayo until it was thick. As far as oil, I use Queen Helen Jojoba Hot oil or just some African (forgot the brand but African is in it, maybe Pride?).

For moisture, I follow up with Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner, weightless moisture

coolsista-paris

indarican: Im having the same problems....trying to check out my length (ok my longests layers have reached apl) im sooo happy cause it took so long. But know im thinking "ok at this time next year maybe ill be bsl, and the year after....this ,and in 2014 that.....My gosh , obssessed !! i keep looking at my pictures and wondering hairs above my actual length. le tme stay asway from all this for some time.