APL 2012 Challenge

i feel like cutting my hair. not hacking it off, but give it more of a style. like cut off 2 inches and cut my bangs. since it seems like it is more like my layers are growing out instead of giving my length. plus i want to color it jet black to hide all of my "flyaways" from my detangling nightmares from being natural.

i know this is the APL challenge, but i don't like being limited to doing one thing with my hair to get me to my goal. i like to change it up. that's why i loved letting someone take of it for me.

Well im sitting here dc my hair. I believe i keep the protein dc on to long sunday which made my hair extra hard. I will continue to dc until my hair is soft again.

So I took some pictures to look at my twists for some inspiration and the exact opposite happened! I am soooo much farther from APL then I thought I am changing my goal month to December (wah wah waaaah) anyway, here are the pics for you to see!

Here are the discouraging pictures:
Twists0109.jpg

Twists0109back.jpg

ITA with indarican. Twists aren't really showing your true length no matter how much you stretched your hair prior to twisting. Unless you do a pull test or even flat iron a piece, you won't really know.

ITA with @indarican. Twists aren't really showing your true length no matter how much you stretched your hair prior to twisting. Unless you do a pull test or even flat iron a piece, you won't really know.

I agree, itsjusthair88 you can't really tell your length with twists. In your picture you have twists that hang past SL, so you can't be too far away from APL. You may want to just do a stretch test next time you wash. That will give you some idea. It's not really accurate either but its better than twists.

When I finally straightened for SL, my twists were just at the nape of my neck but when I straightened it actually passed my shoulder.

Just keep on going you will be fine.

I am weaved up with my 1st full weave :) !! I figured this is the only way I could keep my hands OUT of my precious hair.

I'm gonna stop taking my vitamins for a while. I think they're starting to shorten my menstrual, and that makes me nervous...

In other news, I am 7 weeks post and loving the feel of my new growth. I know it's not much, but just the fact that it's there -- it's comforting to know my hair is growing.

Yeah it really does depend on the type of environment you work in. I work in an office building that isn't very strict on attire. As long as you don't come in here with a t-shirt and jeans on, you're fine. So a hat (beret,beanie,etc.) are fine.

Ahh screw it. I'm washing my hair today and taking these twists out. IDK if these suckas can last til Saturday :lol:

My hair feels reallllllly dry today. I noticed yesterday so I moisturized and baggied last night but it's still very dry. UGH! It's never felt like this...

itsjusthair88 dont be discouraged, its probably alot longer then you can see since it is in twist, you probably have some shrinkage going on.

Thanks, my hair was blowdried, not stretched, though, so it can't be shrinkage :nono::nono::nono:

ITA with indarican. Twists aren't really showing your true length no matter how much you stretched your hair prior to twisting. Unless you do a pull test or even flat iron a piece, you won't really know.

I blowdried my hair, this is it's "true" length :)sad:)

I agree, itsjusthair88 you can't really tell your length with twists. In your picture you have twists that hang past SL, so you can't be too far away from APL. You may want to just do a stretch test next time you wash. That will give you some idea. It's not really accurate either but its better than twists.

When I finally straightened for SL, my twists were just at the nape of my neck but when I straightened it actually passed my shoulder.

Just keep on going you will be fine.

Thanks a ton, I'm sure I'll be fine; I'm just upset with my progress (or lack thereof).

I really am still not having a good hair week...I am getting either a weave or putting in extension twists, because every short cut I see is looking real :lick: right now...

I think I might be APL or at least very close. I was supposed to do another length check on NYE. But I decided I didn't want to straighten my hair. So I won't be doing another length check til April. Surely by then I will definitely be APL.

Question for the ladies:

Naturals- How many months/years post BC are you?

Relaxed/Texlaxed-How long in between touch ups do you normally go? Are you a stretcher? What do you do to help maintain your NG?

I'm texlaxed with relaxed ends - I go 6 months between touch-ups but I may go longer because my hair is too ridiculously manageable (which to me isn't a good thing, cause I think my hair isn't growing :nono:)...

What I do with my NG - I DC on Friday overnight into Sat with my homemade DC (Queen Helen cholesterol, Silkience conditioner, Queen Helen jojoba hot oil, & V05 conditioner..I've been putting Wave Nouveau in because I'm trying to get rid of it)

I co-wash on Wed with V05 moisture milks

on both days, my leave-in is Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream, then I flat twist with wet hair and repeat the Wed & Sat.

When I feel I need protein, my DC is Mayo, an Egg and oil, overnight

^^Not at all!!! Everyone is welcomed until the end the challenge :wave:

Woohoo!

Okay here I go:
~SL I guess
~Natural
~APL goal month (That's a tough one let's say June/July)
~Wash once a week, DC after every wash PS 90% of the time, Clarify once a month, trim every 3 months
~I don't plan on changing nothing, I think what I am doing is working for me :grin:
~Post a beginning picture

I can't post my dumb pic so I'll do it later

everyday wash and go's:nono:. I can only do these every now and then for emergency reasons only. I got my hair cut today and I cut it really short in an attempt to get rid of the ssk's and split ends. I may have about 2" of hair left on my head and I :love: it.

Sooooooooooo I guess I need to post a new starting pic, eh:grin:?

Hmmm, I think I need to go join the SL challenge now:yep:.

Thanks, my hair was blowdried, not stretched, though, so it can't be shrinkage :nono::nono::nono:

I blowdried my hair, this is it's "true" length :)sad:)

Thanks a ton, I'm sure I'll be fine; I'm just upset with my progress (or lack thereof).

I really am still not having a good hair week...I am getting either a weave or putting in extension twists, because every short cut I see is looking real :lick: right now...

If you put any product on your hair to help your twists last and to keep them moisturized, I'm sure they shrunk some. I did a set of twists on my blown out hair before and mine shrunk up to EL by the time I was done applying product.

i used the relaxer application method to apply my conditioner to dry hair this evening. i am sitting under the dryer with it now. my new growth really needed me to do it that way, since i am coloring. my hair Jet Black and straightening it for a trim. my mommy is going to do it for me and she better not cut off too much!

i hope my hair turns out nice from my flat ironing session. i got a heat protectant spray and i am going to try Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum. i wanted to cut my bangs, but i will wait until i make my first goal and do it for my birthday.

i am going to try cross wrapping tonight too. i bought one of those wrap things to help hold the hair in place and i bought another satin scarf. my pink one was busted looking.

Last edited:
Okay...I said I wasn't going to change a thing with my regimen, but this winter weather is doing a number on my hair. So as much as I love my W&Gs I may have to hang them up for awhile. :sad:

I finished my yarn braids a few days ago. I'll post pics in the afternoon if I don't forget or if I'm not too busy. I'm glad I can just hide my hair now. I hope unraveling the braids in about 6 to 8 weeks will give me at least an inch! Also am waiting for JBCO Red Pimento Hair Growth Oil to come through. My edges need work. And I'm also upping my water intake. Need to drop the coffee though, maybe after my exams.

~Current hair length - Neck Length

~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd - Transitioning 8 months relaxer free.

~APL goal month - I know APL is probably unrealistic for me by the end of this year, but I want to give it a go anyway, goal month: Dec 2012

~Current Reggie and styling choices - Since I am transitioning from relaxed hair, I use a lot of low manipulation styles ranging between twist outs and perm rod sets. I pre-poo with Hairveda Vatika Frosting, co-wash with multiple different conditioners (AOHSR, Giovanni, HE HH, etc.) and clarify monthly. Recently been using Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor before deep conditioning with Mixed Silk (Mixed Chicks knock off). Minimal heat, will straighten every 1-2 months.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? - Drinking more water, taking my multi-vitamins, exercise, and continuing to use less and less heat.

~Post a beginning picture - (my computer trashed a couple of pictures, but this is a decent starting one for now)

Length112.jpg

Happy growing to all you ladies!!

Just dropping by to say hello, I have been moisturizing daily and ponytail the past few days. I co-washed tonight and roller set, I am going to sit under the dryer for 40 mins.

Sent from my HTC SHIFT

I'm texlaxed with relaxed ends - I go 6 months between touch-ups but I may go longer because my hair is too ridiculously manageable (which to me isn't a good thing, cause I think my hair isn't growing :nono:)...

What I do with my NG - I DC on Friday overnight into Sat with my homemade DC (Queen Helen cholesterol, Silkience conditioner, Queen Helen jojoba hot oil, & V05 conditioner..I've been putting Wave Nouveau in because I'm trying to get rid of it)

I co-wash on Wed with V05 moisture milks

on both days, my leave-in is Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream, then I flat twist with wet hair and repeat the Wed & Sat.

When I feel I need protein, my DC is Mayo, an Egg and oil, overnight

I just did the same thing (bolded) but couldn't do it overnight because it was to runny and I was nervous of how stiff my hair would come out. Plus the conditioning cap elastic I was using was done for.

What oil do you use and what's your follow up for moisture?

This is my first time making the concoction and I'm not 100% I would do it again.

Back