APL 2012 Challenge

NikkiQ

The weekend, I am definitely going to do a high textured bun. *excited*

That's the next thing I want to achieve. I always get discouraged when I try. My hair will have to be super stretched for it to work.

Sent from my Android...Boom.

SimJam

I should be washing my hair on the weekend but my twists are so nice, I did them perfectly !!!!

I dont wanna wash them out so Imma keep them for another week :)

gforceroy

I straightened my hair and it is not even as long as when I stretch it curly :( ... I feel sad... I have to make this goal by December....

Last edited:

livinthevida

LOL! Blairx0 & MeowMix I'm really practicing on doing my behind the back hair pull while taking photo pose! :lol: similar to scouting for an easy hair dryer I've started my search for a new camera :lachen:

YAY! shortdub78 rollersetting will do wonders! with my higher workload I love that I can workout set dry and go! Since working out in the AM I only use the hair dryer two days a week now - Mondays & Wednesdays - as Fridays I start my weekend style of plait braids!

Love that hat jprayze! Perfect to wear in the DR! & amazing pictures of your hair done at the school!

Great puff NikkiQ! WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWAAAAAAA! Color and curls all ROCK!

itsjusthair88 I believe you will see the results! post a few comparison pictures between last year and 2012 I bet you'll be suprised on how far you have come in growing great lengths :yep:

jprayze scalp massaging definitely worked for me. It took me 90 Days to see my thinning hair ontop grow in normally. All I applied was OCO and gentle scalp massages. I think you are on the right track!

pelohello nice results I'd love to see how all the hair looks too!

Nice growth gforceroy! Congratulations on reaching APL!!!

Congratulations hairqueen7! I just reached my 7 month HHJ August 28, 2012 after starting January 28, 2012. I have learned such great information with our ladies here and continue to learn so much more on caring for my hair. I started at shoulder length in January and reached APL 5 months later in June and this was BEFORE I tested Wild Growth Hair Oil (WGHO)! You will be APL soon ;)

LadyRaider I'd recommend less heat throughout the week. When I added a hair dryer to my morning reggie I decided to do only two days a week giving my hair a chance to let these curls form and recover.

3jsmom you'll past this phase in no-time. I just posted over at the BSL 2012 Challenge that in all the pictures I've posted since January my hair is likely a very good example of hair growing in phases :lol: it has grown from short to medium and now approaching the longer phase ;)

Great style KiWiStyle! Very nice braid!

LOL! TheNDofUO! I have the same challenge *short arms*! practice practice pratice :lol:

Evolving78

Tomorrow is wash day. I am going to prepoo with conditioner + oil, wash, DC and roller set. I will stick to this regimen now. I am going to avoid blow drying or flat ironing till the year end and re-evaluate. Unfortunately, it will take ages for the broken hairs to catch up. :sad:

we are on the same boat! i am going to stick with this until the year is over. no blow drying for me. the flat iron didn't really cause any damage. but i was using a blow dryer with the comb attachment and it was just pulling my hair out.

don't be sad! your hair still looks good. we just need to stick to what we know best!

ronie

Hi ladies, it is inspiring to see everyone progress. Congratulations to all the september graduates. I have not posted in while, that's because for the past 4 weeks i have been concentrating on getting rid of my thinning damaged ends. So i trimmed about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch every week. Thank god for my growth cause i am still just about shoulder length. I got an error message when trying to upload a picture. Anyways i will try later.
So what i have been doing is leaving my hair alone for a week at a time in cornrows, then wash and DC every week. No heat for the past 4 weeks. I am now 6 months post relaxer and still debating if this is going to be a transition or a long stretch. I have no tangle issues, and my breakage has decreased considerably since i started upping my protein ( i did a drc 28, then i have been doing emergencee by nexxus every other week followed by silk elements mega moisture). I baggy with scurl and b mine DC (proteinfree) 2 -3 times a week to balance of all that protein and my hair is softer and stronger at the same time.
So i don't know if i can make the december class, but i am still in game. What i am sure of is that by december most of if not all of my damaged ends will be gone and i can focus on length.

MeowMix

Hi, I'm just going to ditto the first couple of sentences above. :congrats: to the graduates.

Hi livinthevida. Good to see you. I know you've been busy IRL. I'm just living vicariously through you and the other APLs/Ninjas. We've got a length check coming up and I don't know if I'm going to make it:blush:

ronie

This week my new growth got me worried. I have not straightened them since august 5th for my sister in law's wedding, and i took steps to protect them against damage. And they reverted perfectly, after i washed and DC 3 days later. After last week wash, however my hair had a softness i was not used to, and my roots almost looked as if i straightened them. Last wash day i roller set and went under the hooded dryer for 30mns on medium heat. I then wrapped and left it alone. I worried that i had damaged my new growth, but HOW?. All week i am looking @ my curls, and they are almost straight (and i am thingking HEAT DAMAGE), but soft. So soft i i didn't baggy all week. I am 6 months post and my wide tooth comb runs through my dry hair like knife through butter. I was confused. My breakage was no more than usual, and my shedding was minimal (thanks to that garlic oil prepoo). So i went back and looked at the product and steps i used on friday.
Garlic oil, castor oil, rosemary, peppermint oil mix prepoo (20 mns, no heat)
kerastase bain de force shampoo (sulfate)
nexxus emergencee DC (10 mns no heat)
Kera minerals DC by silk elements ( 15 mns, no heat)
kerastase ciment thermique leave in
Scurl activator leave in
kerastase elixir ultime serum
roller set, hooded dryer.
Now the only 2 new items for my hair is the garlic, and kera minerals. Garlic oil is crossed out. So when i went and really processed the information on the kera minerals, and researched on the other items of the line, i realized it did exactly what it was meant to do: Smoothing my hair. The whole system is supposed to work as some sort of keratin treatment i think. I don;t really care for the straight effect, but let me tell you the smoothness and the softness is out of this world. I have not moisturized and sealed my hair since monday, and i am telling you my comb stills run through my 6 month post 4b hair like knife through butter, no pull, no crunchy sound, no breakage. I didn't cornrow my hair this week, so i really got to see the effect of this conditioner. Tomorrow is wash day and i don't even want to wash my hair cause it is still so soft. Thank you lamaria211 for the review. I heard you rave about it and went for it, and i am so glad i did. So if anyone plan to flat iron their hair and needs a jump start, i would recommend this deep conditioner.

Last edited:

lamaria211

ronie said:
This week my new growth got me worried. I have not straightened them since august 5th for my sister in law's wedding, and i took steps to protect them against damage. And they reverted perfectly, after i washed and DC 3 days later. After last week wash, however my hair had a softness i was not used to, and my roots almost looked as if i straightened them. Last wash day i roller set and went under the hooded dryer for 30mns on medium heat. I then wrapped and left it alone. I worried that i had damaged my new growth, but HOW?. All week i am looking @ my curls, and they are almost straight (and i am thingking HEAT DAMAGE), but soft. So soft i i didn't baggy all week. I am 6 months post and my wide tooth comb runs through my dry hair like knife through butter. I was confused. My breakage was no more than usual, and my shedding was minimal (thanks to that garlic oil prepoo). So i went back and looked at the product and steps i used on friday.
Garlic oil, castor oil, rosemary, peppermint oil mix prepoo (20 mns, no heat)
kerastase bain de force shampoo (sulfate)
nexxus emergencee DC (10 mns no heat)
Kera minerals DC by silk elements ( 15 mns, no heat)
kerastase ciment thermique leave in
Scurl activator leave in
kerastase elixir ultime serum
roller set, hooded dryer.
Now the only 2 new items for my hair is the garlic, and kera minerals. Garlic oil is crossed out. So when i went and really processed the information on the kera minerals, and researched on the other items of the line, i realized it did exactly what it was meant to do: Smoothing my hair. The whole system is supposed to work as some sort of keratin treatment i think. I don;t really care for the straight effect, but let me tell you the smoothness and the softness is out of this world. I have not moisturized and sealed my hair since monday, and i am telling you my comb stills run through my 6 month post 4b hair like knife through butter, no pull, no crunchy sound, no breakage. I didn't cornrow my hair this week, so i really got to see the effect of this conditioner. Tomorrow is wash day and i don't even want to wash my hair cause it is still so soft. Thank you lamaria211 for the review. I heard you rave about it and went for it, and i am so glad i did. So if anyone plan to flat iron their hair and needs a jump start, i would recommend this deep conditioner.

Yaaaay that's good to hear I'm glad you liked it. I think that's one of the only non BOB products that I will continue to purchase I want to stock up before they do something crazy like change the formula or discontinue. :)

lexxi

Just checking in hair is in two braids to the back will be doing a haul for natural hair supplies soon. Im going to be getting mango butter, vatika oil, peppermint oil for the megatek/future sulfur mix,and also some cotton candy,buttercreme, and lick me all over ( I think that's what it's called but it has a fruity smell) fragrance oils. I will also be getting black castor oil and I just bought a big bottle of Aussie conditioner and argon oil . So I think I'm covered for the first part of the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

livinthevida

Hi, I'm just going to ditto the first couple of sentences above. :congrats: to the graduates.

Hi livinthevida. Good to see you. I know you've been busy IRL. I'm just living vicariously through you and the other APLs/Ninjas. We've got a length check coming up and I don't know if I'm going to make it:blush:
MeowMix you will make it! We're counting on every APL'er and APL Ninja to check in with our beautiful pics! :fan: see you there chica!

livinthevida

Hi ladies, it is inspiring to see everyone progress. Congratulations to all the september graduates. I have not posted in while, that's because for the past 4 weeks i have been concentrating on getting rid of my thinning damaged ends. So i trimmed about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch every week. Thank god for my growth cause i am still just about shoulder length. I got an error message when trying to upload a picture. Anyways i will try later.
So what i have been doing is leaving my hair alone for a week at a time in cornrows, then wash and DC every week. No heat for the past 4 weeks. I am now 6 months post relaxer and still debating if this is going to be a transition or a long stretch. I have no tangle issues, and my breakage has decreased considerably since i started upping my protein ( i did a drc 28, then i have been doing emergencee by nexxus every other week followed by silk elements mega moisture). I baggy with scurl and b mine DC (proteinfree) 2 -3 times a week to balance of all that protein and my hair is softer and stronger at the same time.
So i don't know if i can make the december class, but i am still in game. What i am sure of is that by december most of if not all of my damaged ends will be gone and i can focus on length.

@ronie I hope this how-to helps! its a quick review on how to attach images:

I have Windows 7 at home yet I believe the steps should be the same in any Web Browser (I use Firefox 11 and Internet Explorer 9). Here are a few instructions:

Click New Reply (see bottom left of page)
Scroll down a little further (see Additional Options)
Select Manage Attachments (under Attach Files)
Select Browse to upload pictures from your Computer
Browse your computer for picture(s) to post
Select Open after selecting picture(s)
Select Upload (picture now appears under Current Attachments)
You can remove the picture by selecting Remove or keep the picture by closing the window (Select Close this window or press the red x)
Enter comments and select Submit Reply

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Thanks for the encouragement livinthevida I know my hair has grown, but I'll just be let down if the straight product doesn't look bomb.com, you know? I need to get over it, because I need a proper trim!

Speaking of progress, I am soooooo glad I can see mine, let me tell you why: I had to wash my hair last night and I was so tired I didn't have time to do anything with it, so I just did 6 fat plaits and went to bed. Well, this morning I took them out and my hair was still wet, but I was able to pull it back in a low bun, I was like "YES PROGRESS!!!!"

Anyway, that made me feel good. I think I am going to try my hand at bantu knots tonight since I don't have work tomorrow and I can let them dry.

HHJ ladies!

gforceroy

I wore a bun today. It actually looks to be a decent size now... Yay. Only if I could do that when it's curly Lol

Attachments

• 20120907_115821-1.jpg
    20120907_115821-1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20120907_204806.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120907_204806.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 53

NikkiQ

About to take the twists down and put them in some fat Celies to stretch them out a bit more. Heading to San Juan for the weekend and it is WAY too hot to wear a wig. So stretched twist/braid out and puffs are gonna be it for the weekend.

Lurkee

shortdub78 said:
we are on the same boat! i am going to stick with this until the year is over. no blow drying for me. the flat iron didn't really cause any damage. but i was using a blow dryer with the comb attachment and it was just pulling my hair out.

don't be sad! your hair still looks good. we just need to stick to what we know best!

Just saw this shortdub78,

Thank you dearie. Honestly thinking of the catching up the broken hairs need to do slightly depresses me. That comb attachment is the debil.

Roller set is the way forward :grin:

NikkiQ

Twist out now in braids. Gonna rock a scarf until we get to the resort this afternoon. Hair is still super soft!

2012-09-07 08.31.39-1.jpg

ForumRunner_20120907_091607.jpg

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I am dragging buns today. I need to wash my hair. I slept in my sulfur mix. Even though it doesn't smell bad... I don't wanna snuggle up with SO smelling like sulfur. I'm contemplating adding something that makes it smell better. My scalp feels better. I need to up my water intake though. I've been really slacking.

~~~

I had a hair dream. In it, my hair was moist and juicy. I had it in a huge bun. I figured that it was time to take a progress pic. I took a tendril down in the back and stretched it down to my waist. I was so happy that I had to check other pieces. The top was shorter but the back was WL. Right as I got ready to get my bff to take the pic, I woke up. *sigh*

Ogoma

September update: I think I am about an inch or so off.

I nearly broke my arm trying to take this picture so I decided to use it as my September month end check-in as I will not be doing it again for a while :lol:.

Stats:
Current Length - CBL
Last relaxer - Sept. 2010
Big Chop - June 2011
APL Goal - December 2012

[Important to note: it is not my bra stap in the picture, it is the strap of my dress]

ETA: took out picture

Last edited:

livinthevida

Thanks for the encouragement livinthevida I know my hair has grown, but I'll just be let down if the straight product doesn't look bomb.com, you know? I need to get over it, because I need a proper trim!

Speaking of progress, I am soooooo glad I can see mine, let me tell you why: I had to wash my hair last night and I was so tired I didn't have time to do anything with it, so I just did 6 fat plaits and went to bed. Well, this morning I took them out and my hair was still wet, but I was able to pull it back in a low bun, I was like "YES PROGRESS!!!!"

Anyway, that made me feel good. I think I am going to try my hand at bantu knots tonight since I don't have work tomorrow and I can let them dry.

HHJ ladies!
Sweet itsjusthair88! I LOVE it when our hair has surprises who knew ALL THAT was there! LOL! :grin: when i do my plaits similar to right before I do a rollerset i gently squeeze the excess water to help my hair quickly airdry. Even when I do plait braids within the hour my hair dries pretty fast and even faster with the window rolled down! :auto:here's a few pictures of my weekend hair via early August!