APL 2012 Challenge

Guinan

Re-Branding
MrsJaiDiva said:
Sooo...I'm checking in with my Birthday goal length check!:party: What say you ladies? Can I officially say I'm grazing APL? :spinning:

To me u already look APL. I luv ur curls!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Guinan

Re-Branding
jprayze said:
Just jumping on to show you all the braidout I ended up with for trip. I took NikkiQ's advice and kept it simple (just shea butter and a bit of oil) and it turned out much better.

It looks great! i luv the wavyness of it

Guinan

Re-Branding
Beautifulwildflower said:
A couple of days ago I did a protein and moisturizing treatment of egg and banana, olive, avocado and jojoba oil which I left on too long. With too many family interruptions all day, I ended up rinsing the treatment out 9 hours later. Anyway, I did a wash and braid out. I think my hair is APL, I'll know for sure in a week or so after I do a permanent blue color, then press out.

By the way, last month I went to the hair salon for the first time in years in hopes of being pampered and take a break from the hours I spend doing my hair. A friend referred me. When I called the salon we got acquainted with each other ( I told her about my natural hair and regimen and her response about her as a stylist sounded dreamy). The next time I called was to make an appointment.

When I went I was excited and nervous at the same time. For almost 10 years the only other person in my hair besides myself was my godmother and to my dismay she retired. I've been on my own since. Prior to her my hair salon experiences had not been positive.

I went in with high hopes :grin:. The stylist was very nice, she'd worked with natural hair before she assured me and didn't mind using the products I brought.

Everything seemed great until upon her washing my 'just came out of braids, uncombed hair' she takes out a plastic shampoo brush and starts to comb out my hair with it. I cringed as I heard the snap, crackle and pop.

I brought out my wide tooth pick (mine only has eight teeth) and asked her to use that and instead of starting from the ends she started at my roots. My hopes were diminishing fast. I told her to go ahead and just blow dry my hair since I decided not to press for the summer. She said she had a cool technique with blow drying that would make it seem as if I had a press - unlike the blow dryer comb.

Blow dryer goes on and a brush begins to pull and tug and snag my hair. Not only was it painful, but my hair did not look pressed, it looked blow dried. I was just done.:sad:

Needless to say, like a child is to a scary movie so am I to a hair salon.
Does anyone personally know of a stylist in the orange county, southern california area that REALLY nows how to work with natural hair?

Signed,
Can someone else who knows what they're doing wash my hair?

Im sorry that happened to u. Thats happened to me plenty of times. I think the only way to know how a person does hair is to go there in person & watch them do hair. & even still there's no guarantee:(

NikkiQ

All these lovely hair updates. I love it!! Keep em coming ladies. We love seeing the great progress everyone is making.

It's officially dye day. Yay!! :yahoo:

I shampooed and did a quick condish yesterday and let my hair air dry overnight. I'm about to take down my Celies, finger detangle,and put my hair in 4 sections to make dying easier. Afterwards,I'm gonna DC for a couple hours. Not sure how I'm gonna style it after though.

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Lurkee said:
pelohello, be careful! I think the short broken hairs around my head is from blow drying. I went into a hair funk a while ago and changed my regimen into browdrying + flat ironing every two weeks and I think I caused a lot of breakage.

Admittedly, I did not air dry before. I left my towel on till damp and then blowdried. If you decide to go ahead, be gentle.

Thanks, im gonna just wig it this week because since me & my hair are fighting with each other:) I dont I think I will be gentle with it.

jprayze

Yikes...I didn't plan to wash my hair while I'm away but I got in the pool so here goes! I rinsed as soon as I got out and I put some apricot oil on for prepoo. Only bad thing is I have to use hotel poo and they have no condish :-(

NikkiQ

Color is done ladies!! Here's a before and after shot for you guys.

PhotoGrid_1346534925079.jpg

Guinan

Re-Branding
NikkiQ said:
Color is done ladies!! Here's a before and after shot for you guys.

That color is fierce! did u do it urself? Is it perm? & what brand?

NikkiQ

Thanks ladies! Yeah I did it myself. This is the color. Yeah it's a permanent color. I love it. It's my treat to myself for making APL. I won't dye again until I hit BSL.

jprayze

NikkiQ said:
Thanks ladies! Yeah I did it myself. This is the color. Yeah it's a permanent color. I love it. It's my treat to myself for making APL. I won't dye again until I hit BSL.

Gorgeous! I love it!

BlkOnyx488

I am getting excited about the September 30th reveal. I was lazy all summer but good, I cornrowed my hair at the end of July and I have not touched it except to rebraid. I have to get back on track with weekly DC, and taking vitamins, and bagging every night.

I know I been saying with every update I thought I would make. but I know 09/30 is my moment I hit APL finally!!!!!!!

KaramelDiva1978

Dang dang dang here I go APL dreaming! Heres this mornings length/reality check:

ForumRunner_20120902_080224.jpg

ForumRunner_20120902_080300.jpg
Need another two inches.

Texlaxed and two weeks one day post

gforceroy

Hi Ladies! I will post my length check next week when I straighten my hair. I am kind of scared that I will be disappointed :ohwell:...anyways I am going stateside later this month and my SO doesn't want me to wear wigs...oh well TOO BAD lol jk. I am wearing my hair out when I get there but maybe for a day so. I thinking about buying this wig what do ya'll think?? I never worn a lace front before..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9HEfQLNp6U&list=FLBtLR2yurFMg0cqjdWTogHA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

NikkiQ

Dang dang dang here I go APL dreaming! Heres this mornings length/reality check:

View attachment 166351

View attachment 166353
Need another two inches.

Texlaxed and two weeks one day post

2 inches?? It looks like less to me. But if that's the case, 2 inches in 3 months is ABSOLUTELY possible! No dreams here lady. You're almost there

Hi Ladies! I will post my length check next week when I straighten my hair. I am kind of scared that I will be disappointed :ohwell:...anyways I am going stateside later this month and my SO doesn't want me to wear wigs...oh well TOO BAD lol jk. I am wearing my hair out when I get there but maybe for a day so. I thinking about buying this wig what do ya'll think?? I never worn a lace front before..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9HEfQLNp6U&list=FLBtLR2yurFMg0cqjdWTogHA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

I love that wig! I haven't worn a lace front in so long. Is there any way you can get the wig before going back to the states so you can play around with it for a bit so you're comfortable with it?

KaramelDiva1978

NikkiQ said:
2 inches?? It looks like less to me. But if that's the case, 2 inches in 3 months is ABSOLUTELY possible! No dreams here lady. You're almost there

2 inches just to secure!!! One pic looks like less than an inch better safe than sorry I'm on the grow over here Nikki!!

livinthevida

A couple of days ago I did a protein and moisturizing treatment of egg and banana, olive, avocado and jojoba oil which I left on too long. With too many family interruptions all day, I ended up rinsing the treatment out 9 hours later. Anyway, I did a wash and braid out. I think my hair is APL, I'll know for sure in a week or so after I do a permanent blue color, then press out.

By the way, last month I went to the hair salon for the first time in years in hopes of being pampered and take a break from the hours I spend doing my hair. A friend referred me. When I called the salon we got acquainted with each other ( I told her about my natural hair and regimen and her response about her as a stylist sounded dreamy). The next time I called was to make an appointment.

When I went I was excited and nervous at the same time. For almost 10 years the only other person in my hair besides myself was my godmother and to my dismay she retired. I've been on my own since. Prior to her my hair salon experiences had not been positive.

I went in with high hopes :grin:. The stylist was very nice, she'd worked with natural hair before she assured me and didn't mind using the products I brought.

Everything seemed great until upon her washing my 'just came out of braids, uncombed hair' she takes out a plastic shampoo brush
and starts to comb out my hair with it. I cringed as I heard the snap, crackle and pop.

I brought out my wide tooth pick
(mine only has eight teeth) and asked her to use that and instead of starting from the ends she started at my roots. My hopes were diminishing fast. I told her to go ahead and just blow dry my hair since I decided not to press for the summer. She said she had a cool technique with blow drying that would make it seem as if I had a press - unlike the blow dryer comb.

Blow dryer goes on and a brush begins to pull and tug and snag my hair. Not only was it painful, but my hair did not look pressed, it looked blow dried. I was just done.:sad:

Needless to say, like a child is to a scary movie so am I to a hair salon.
Does anyone personally know of a stylist in the orange county, southern california area that REALLY nows how to work with natural hair?

Signed,
Can someone else who knows what they're doing wash my hair?
@Beautifulwildflower I am sorry to hear this happened! I have horror stories of having friends do my hair and you are right nothing like the treatment and experience of a family member who loves you and your hair! Unfortunately not all hair salons share the same mindset :perplexed

As my hours and employees increase at work I have thought of going to a local salon to teat myself :grin: and often! Yet I am finding it hard to find that good salon to keep up with my natural hair care. Here is one resource I found when searching for Natural Hair Care Salons in the Northeast:
The Natural Hair Care Directory: A Comprehensive Listing of Natural Hair Stylists and Salons

I hope this helps! :yep:

Last edited:

livinthevida

Ladies I've yet to catch up on ***all*** of our new pages yet I've read through and can already see there are beautiful pictures of hair growth here!!!

Congratulations to all the ladies who have reached APL lengths!!!! Welcome New APL Ninjas! :lol:

When you have a chance see us @ the BSL 2012 Challenge too!!! We just had our Length Check August 31, 2012!!! and there's a whole lotta healthy hair with amazing lengths!

livinthevida

Quickly shared over at the BSL 2012 Challenge I have a quick addition to new length check pictures of dry roller set vs wet hair! Here are my wet hair pictures between July 1, 2012 and today September 2, 2012!

1. 1st photo is today wearing my bra to show there's a few inches to go in reaching BSL in 2012!
2. 2nd photo is a quick filmstrip of reaching APL!!! July 1, 30 Days after using Wild Growth Hair Oil (WGHO) and today's bra strap photo!

Attachments

• BSLcheckin_wethair_9-2-2012.JPG
    BSLcheckin_wethair_9-2-2012.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 44
  • BSLcheckin_wethair_July 1 to Sept 2 2012.JPG
    BSLcheckin_wethair_July 1 to Sept 2 2012.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 45