APL 2012 Challenge

Welcome JulietWhiskey...

Ladies... I just discovered naptural85 on youtube... OMG ... I am soooo in luv with her hair.... I want her hair like now... no... yesterday!!!

Poutchi said:
Welcome JulietWhiskey...

Ladies... I just discovered naptural85 on youtube... OMG ... I am soooo in luv with her hair.... I want her hair like now... no... yesterday!!!

I follow her too and absolutely adore her ways. I don't do everything she does but I certainly try to!

Poutchi said:
Welcome JulietWhiskey...

I love her fun& quirky personality. And that hair? She's def one of my hair role models.

I love her fun& quirky personality. And that hair? She's def one of my hair role models.

I follow her too and absolutely adore her ways. I don't do everything she does but I certainly try to!

Yes indeed I also like her personnality... I will be following her closely... :) And I think the back of my hair is the same texture as hers...the top... still praying it will curl up one day...

So I washed my hair the other day and used Giovanni's direct leave in and my hair didn't like it at all! My hair poofed up and was wiry I was like why is this happening! Then I remembered that I used the leave in. So I had to wash that mess out. I just co washed and I dont co wash but I didn't need to wash just yet. So I let it airdry a bit then lightly blow dried and put my hair in braids for tomorrow. Hopefully it looks right but my hair feels so much better.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Fyne Thanks! And one thing I also have to do is stop trimming so much, do a better job at taking care of my ends so they don't need to be trimmed as often. I'm probably cutting away some of my progress!

I really wanna wear my hair out sometime this week, but it's gonna be SO gross outside that it would totally defeat the purpose. Boo!

I'm SL and relaxed. I will use less heat.

My regiment will be bunning it up.

I was at BSL and felt my ends were to thin and I cut back to thickest part of my hair. Im not sad, I know for me, I have to stay away from heat.

I will post pic soon, it will be wet hair though cause it will be awhile before I rollerset and wrap.

I use Keracare, Wen, it's a 10, castor oil and red pimento oil and nexxus hair products. All work well for my hair and this is my product line.

I wet bun and air dry often.

Since its getting warm I will be cowashing biweekly.

I wash and deep condition once a week.

I seal with olive oil and hairveda vatika frosting. I think I will be using olive oil full time, cause its lighter.

I relaxed between 15-18 weeks.

Last edited:
Evallusion said:
Im still around. I took out that awful sewin. My roots are beyond woofin and i am so not in love with my hair right now...that can only mean one thing...time for a new protective style. Things are hectic right now but i'm thinking of getting some braids soon...perhaps, this weekend.

Attached are pics of my wild looking hair after taking out that sewin. Transitioning is starting to get serious. I am now 5 Months post relaxer and wiggin it out until i get those braids....

Wow. You have alot of hair. Way to go.

Poutchi said:
faithVA... I like letting people know what they re getting themselves into beforehand :) lol... even though yeah maybe this one i should have let her join first...she is not answering anymore... i scared her away... smh

No. I'm here. I'm not leaving until I get apl but even then I will hang around. The last apl challenge I was in, I met alot of cool people.

Imani said:
Counting down til my next length check. Its driving me insane. Still a whole month to go. I will NEVER go this long again w/o straightening my hair (5 months, even tho I said the same thing the last time I also went 5 months, but I'm serious this time). Not only the suspense of wanting/needing to see my progress (or lack thereof), but I don't think its good at all for me to go this long w/o a good trim (split city). And I don't know how to trim w/o straightening. I don't have the type of hair that will get straight enough to trim w/ like a roller set or something.

I say the same thing when I stretch my relaxers. However when you do straighten, you will be very happy and know it was worth the wait.

Using My Denman to detangle has lead to a massive split end setback. Sucks, because my Denman used to work so Well! I switched to seamless combs, but not quick enough. Gonna have to go get a trim now....hope she doesn't have to take too much off!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

well i am will be washing air drying and bunning today. my hair feels icky and it needs to be washed. i don't have my shower filter, so pray for me ladies that my hair doesn't act a fool.

i am going to detangle with oil and dc first, then shampoo. it seems when i shampoo my hair is fine, but after i rinse the conditioner out, it turns on me. no matter what dc i use.

shortdub78 said:
well i am will be washing air drying and bunning today. my hair feels icky and it needs to be washed. i don't have my shower filter, so pray for me ladies that my hair doesn't act a fool.

i am going to detangle with oil and dc first, then shampoo. it seems when i shampoo my hair is fine, but after i rinse the conditioner out, it turns on me. no matter what dc i use.

I hope all that tangling is under control. No more setbacks! Just listen (read: feel) to your hair and the moment something feels strange (stop,drop, and roll) grab your conditioner, pile it on and then put on a conditioning cap.

Are you rinsing your DC out with warm water? I know you probably told us during the incident I just don't remember.

Hopefully detangling with oil and then DCing with help you.

Are you double detangling? Wide tooth seamless comb first followed by a smaller tooth comb? Wash in twists?

Woo! I'm officially a quarter through my relaxer stretch!. The easy days are over. *sigh* and because of the breakage I didn't even get to play with my hair....

Fellow challengers,

I apologize if this is an essay, but I thought some context may be helpful for you to help me.. ya know.:grin:
My hair is fine with medium density and sonme coarse and wiry strands. I started my hair journey, 2008 December. I am yet to figure out how to deal with breakage. I had breakage from day 1, despite that I grew my natural hair from a bald head to SL by 2010.

I relaxed my hair in October 2010 because I was tired of dealing with the SSK's. :blush:

The SSKs have significantly reduced but I still have not been able to get the breakage and shedding under control.

All I ever do is protective style. I bun ALL the time. I had a bad experience with wigs when I was natural..it ate up my edges so I stopped wigging it.

Early this year I decided to re-evaluate my journey and change things up a bit. Infact, in January I noticed that the left sid eof head at the nape has thinned significantly and that the hair on the right side was about 1 inch longer than the left side with serious split ends. That's when I panicked. This is what I have done so far, but I have not seen much difference either in breakage or shedding.

I'll start with the easy one:

SHEDDING:

1. I have had Graves disease in the past. I consulted with my Dr again to see it if things have changed and did some tests and ultrasound. They did nt find anything in the tests and its seems my levels are normal. I am not tired or exhibiting other symptoms that I did when I had Graves about 10 yrs ago. I'm still going fo additional tests so we'll see how that goes.

2. I tried black tea rinses once a week on wash day. I tried it various ways. Massaging into my scalp. leaving on with my DC session. I honestly did not observe any change. I will continue this. I recently ordered Alter ego but I am yet to receive it.

BREAKAGE -

After researching the boards a bit, I felt I could be low porosity because my hair always felt hard and brittle to the touch. So I did I couple of things:

I bought a steamer and started steaming bi-weekly.
I stopped using my Protein products except for the Joico K-Pak reconstructor and hydrating balm and chelating shampoo. I use the reconstructor and hydrating balm once every 2 weeks. While I use the chelating shampoo at every wash because I discovered the water here is hard.
Right now though, I have reduced the chelating shampoo to once a week.

I started using moisture only products. I now use AOWC for my DC and Elucence MB Condish as a leave-in on wet soppy hair.

I changed my combs to seamless combs and I now only detangle on wash days.

In addition to using a sateen scarf, I now use a silk pillowcase.

I now use distilled water in my spritzes.

I have had a struggle with getting the right moisturizer - I tried the NTM Silky touch, but my hair doesn't like it. Maybe I need to change my technique. Right now I use a mix of AOHSR with AVJ and distilled water.

For two weeks in February I used the Mizani H20.. no, luck.

I have trimmed my hair 3 times in the last 2 months, trying to get rid of bushy damaged ends. My ends feel better, but I see split ends every now and then.:ohwell:

TBH, I have seen improvement in how my hair feels with respect to retaining mositure, howver, the breakage has not stopped. What worries me is the broken pieces are between 2-4 inches in length and its mainly concentrated in the back of my head.
My hair is between 11-12 inches at the crown but at the back and sides its between 5-8 inches.

Could it be due to excessive bunning? I rotate my buns, but maybe its not enough?
I have been bunning for the last two years straight with only a 6 weeks break for cornrows once.

If I do not bun, what else can I do for protective styling. I now have a hooded dryer so I can learn to rollerset, but I dont think that will protect my ends.

I really need all the help I can get.:sad:

comparison pics

wash and go dec 10 2011
DSC07123.jpg

wash and go march 22 2012
DSC09247.jpg

i detangled with my fingers in sections and twisted. (it took an hour - 1 1/2) i applied my conditioner mixed with some distilled water to dampen my hair, then used Joico MR balm and twisted it back up. i got a plastic cap on now and will be rinsing and shampooing in 30 mins.

i rinse with warm water, i like to shower with hot water, but i turn it down to rinse my hair.

last time i washed it started to tangle a little bit, so i applied my leave-in and started to finger detangle and then i combed it.

mamaore sounds like you are on the right track retentions is a very difficult place to find.

Firstly, I have had some ailments, and a lot of stress, what is your diet? Do you eat salads , raw fruit, and veges with raw oils and natural vinegar's? Are you taking a good multi vitamin or drinking a protein shake? What about eating yogurt or kefir? Drinking at least 6 glasses of water? Taking a fish oil supplement or some other good oil daily?

On the outside, sounds like you are using all the latest products. Have you tried using the old fashion products. Chicoro does very well with Vaseline. At least try some natural pomades to hold your buns. Maybe try some heavy sealing in the back, there are many heavy butters, oil, and pomades to choose from. Your didn't mention humectants sprays, or vinegar rinses. Have you tried either of those?

First, take a deep breath:) I'm assuming you're still relaxed.

Are you stretching your relaxers at all, if so how long?

Are you self relaxing or getting it done at a salon?

Are you getting touch ups or re-processing the hair?

I ask the above because if you aren't taking the protective measures when it's time to relax it will weaken the hair shaft. Stretching the relaxer gives your hair ample time to breath and I believe ensures you don't double process areas that have already been straightened. I'm no longer relaxed so I would check in with the relaxed ladies for some insight. Sometimes we believe our trusty beauticians are all for us and our journey of healthy hair, but they are human and sometimes aren't focused enough on our hair and what it needs or is doing. So over-processing the hair is possible.

Do you color your hair, if so what type of dye? keep in mind that this is another chemical that adds to the weakness of your hair strands. Dying too often without giving your hair the proper nutrients to restore what was stripped away will often cause breakage and shedding!

And finally on to the buns. If you relax and or dye then blow dry and flat iron and then pull the strands however tightly into the same position over and over you are only adding stress to the already weak strands. So I would say allow your hair to take a deep breath as well. Bunning can be great for protecting the ends, however if the hair further up the shaft is weak those ends we're trying to protect don't stand a chance!

Roller setting is a great way to give your hair a break. If you can do it without needing the flat iron afterwards is an added bonus. The trick for you is finding a style or way to allow the stressed hair to not be over manipulated. I would say go and have a beautician do it once and have her sit you in the mirror so you can see the direction she rolls and what color rollers she uses. If you're afraid she won't show you for fear of loss of funds tell her you just want to maintain the style between sets.

Products may or may not be the culprit, using good quality moisturizers to help restore, seal and protect the hair shaft down to the ends will put you in a position to see results and I'm sure hair growth!

I hope is helps a little and you find a style that works for you. Please keep us posted.

@mamaore sounds like you are on the right track retentions is a very difficult place to find.

Firstly, I have had some ailments, and a lot of stress, what is your diet? Do you eat salads , raw fruit, and veges with raw oils and natural vinegar's? Are you taking a good multi vitamin or drinking a protein shake? What about eating yogurt or kefir? Drinking at least 6 glasses of water? Taking a fish oil supplement or some other good oil daily?

On the outside, sounds like you are using all the latest products. Have you tried using the old fashion products. Chicoro does very well with Vaseline. At least try some natural pomades to hold your buns. Maybe try some heavy sealing in the back, there are many heavy butters, oil, and pomades to choose from. Your didn't mention humectants sprays, or vinegar rinses. Have you tried either of those?

Yes I am trying to incorporate veggies into my diet. I now take Hemp seed oil twice daily. I am taking multivitamins as well ( the kids chewables :grin:).. but I m on the hunt for a liquid multivitamin. I hate large pills.

My water intake is pathetic, but in the last 1 month I have started taking at least 32 oz a day. I also recently started 1000mg of MSM with Vit C (Emergen - C brand)

I also recently started doing Zumba exercises 3 times a week for either 45 minutes or an hour.

I tried Vinegar rinses previoulsy but it made my hair so so. I stopped because I felt I may have low porosity hair.
I also us castor oil on my scalp twice a week and seal my ends with Grapeseedoil. I started using grapeseed oil for my ends last week.

Checking in. About to try an ACV rinse in my hair. I've never done one before but feel like my hair really needs it. It's a frizzy, dry mess. The new year just started and I've already fallen off the hair care wagon :nono:

First, take a deep breath:) I'm assuming you're still relaxed.

Are you stretching your relaxers at all, if so how long? Last year I stretched between 12-14 weks. The shedding was crazy. Right now I am 8 weeks post and carefull stretching to 12 weeks.

Are you self relaxing or getting it done at a salon? I self-relax. I only did my virgin relaxer at a salon

Are you getting touch ups or re-processing the hair? I touch-up and I protect my previously relaxed ends with Affirm protector

Do you color your hair, if so what type of dye? Never colored or dyed. I hennaed twice when I was a natural and that's about it.

Honestly, I have only blow dried my hair twice in the last two years and flat ironed once at the salon when I relaxed my virgin hair and once by myself last December. I never used heat while I was a natural. I actually just bought a flat iron last November.

I know I am missing something, but I just don't know what it is:ohwell:

mamaore said:
I know I am missing something, but I just don't know what it is:ohwell:

Wow. Your lack of heat is impressive! And you're right something is missing... So now it's finding your protein and moisture balance so that your hair retains the moisture you give it.

Be sure to not sleep in a ponytail/bun. You cant fully control how you sleep so reducing any extra stress on your hair is key.

Keep us informed with products and such and hopefully we can help you figure out the culprit!

Back