Anyone using combs regularly

snoop

Over the past 2 months I've introduced seamless comb into my regi. Up until this point I was finger combing and detangling. What I've found is that by using a comb is that my hair is left softer because the strands are more uniform and as a result I don't have to moisturize as often as I would have if I didn't comb, because my hair doesn't feel "rough". Also I have noticed that I can get a good stretch if I use the combs on wash day and then re-braid combing out my hair the day after. Also, I’m able to get out a lot more shed hairs. The downside is that I’ve noticed a lot broken hairs.

When I comb my hair is either wet (on wash day) or spritzed before styling. Now that my hair is longer (around SL) I’m excited to style my hair in something other than twists.

[FONT=&quot]I was wondering if anyone uses a comb for other than detangling and if so, is there any advice you can give to me to reduce breakage.

[/FONT]

hillytmj

@snoop

I use combs on wash day - a wide tooth to detangle under the running water and two smaller rat tail combs for roller setting.

I try to stay low mani, but if I do use combs during the week, I use my wide tooth comb very gently. I also use a comb to smooth my edges since I mostly wear my hair pulled back or in a bun.

Last edited:

hillytmj

@Snoop

To reduce breakage, be gentle when combing. Also, make sure the hair is wet when detangling. If you hair begins to air dry naturally (as mine does while rollersetting), keep a spray bottle of water near. Also, detangle from the ends up. Finally, I use more than one comb on wash day - a wide tooth comb to detangle under the water. Once I've washed and DCd and ready to style, I go through gently again with the wide tooth comb. I use a comb that has teeth wider than a rat tail comb, yet smaller than the wide tooth, to detangle a small section (for rollersetting). Then I use a smaller comb before wrapping on the roller.

regina07

I use a comb daily -- a rat tail comb. I use it to comb my scalp and roots. My hair tangles easily with shed hairs so I gently comb them towards the ends, then detangle with my fingers before braiding it. My ends don't like brushes -- which I've just learned this year.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I use a comb everyday. Wide tooth though. I get those shed hairs and tangles out daily. It doesn't bother me to see shed hairs anymore and since I use a seamless comb, any breakage is usually a sign of a problem that I need to take care of. Combing daily also allows me to determine I need to change something in my regimen (moisture, protein) and correct it on wash days versus waiting for the problem to get worse.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

westNDNbeauty

I use combs on wash day and when I'm styling my hair into twists -- thats the only way to guarantee smooth twists. After that I don't use a comb until wash day rolls around again.

snoop

Thanks for your responses.

I just thought I'd post a picture of my hair braided with and without using a comb. The back one is with a comb on wash day. Pretty much looks the same if I don't use a comb on wash day and the front ones are using a comb on spritzed hair on day two. As you can see, the shorter braids don't look very "attractive". :nono:

I'm also using seamless combs, so I have to check to see if trimming my hair will also reduce the breakage. I'm trying some new oils so hopefully the shedding will slow down a bit.

For the most part, I'm pretty low manipulation and comb my hair once every week or two.

Attachments

• 20130820_122455.jpg
    20130820_122455.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: