Anyone transition 3 years or longer????

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I am contemplating going natural (again....sigh) and would like to hear from VERY LONG term transitioners.

I stretch for 6-10 months at a time. So I know how to do that.

I can tell you that I'm not big chopping until I can get my natural hair in a ponytail. (don't judge me and I promise I won't judge you)

I would love to hear about how your journey was.

What products and techniques did you use that helped you?

Did you suffer any damage or breakage?

How often did you trim?

How long was your hair when you finally cut off the relaxed or texlaxed hair?

Your hair type would be helpful, if you know it...if not, no worries.

Thanks in advance, ladies.

PS: Let's not turn this into a natural vs relaxed, straight vs curly debate thread. I just would like some help with my decision and maybe some other ladies could benefit as well.

I'm not finished with my transition yet, but I'm 2 1/2 years into it.@jupitermoon (CelinaStar) was my inspiration. She transitioned for over 3 years.

The first year, I wore my hair the same way I did when I was relaxing. In the winter I flatironed every two weeks. In the summer I co-washed 3 or 4 times/wk and wore buns. I'm a certified product junkie, so I use many, many different kinds of conditioners. The only protein I use is whole egg mixed in DC.
I now wear buns most of the time and I flatiron every 4-6 weeks. I wear it straight for 10 or 12 days and then go back to frequent co-washing.

Not really. I got the itch to see my natural hair and BC'd the back of my head, though. My hair is now BSL in the front and the nape is APL. Sounds weird, but it's not noticeable.

How often did you trim?

I trim on the equinox, so I trimmed on September 22, and won't trim again until March 22, 2012

I'll cut the relaxed ends by 3 1/2 years (next Sept) or when all my natural hair reaches BSL/MBL.

I guess I'm 3c/4a - not sure though.

Last edited:
I wish I could help...I'm almost a year into my transition, so I'm looking for pointers as well!

This is a great thread. I am a long-term transitioner. My two years will be in December, but I am planning on three years. I will be interested to hear from those who have done it.

I'm on my phone so I can't hit thanks yet....so thanks to all of you! and

*bump*

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

I know Austro-Afrikana did a 3 years transition and has beautiful hair. (hope she doesn't mind me mentioning):duck:

havilland

I followed the crown and glory method www.growafrohairlong.com wearing box braids for six weeks at a time.

At that time (out of braids) I was using Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor every week but once I had more natural hair than relaxed, within 6-8 months, I stopped. I used to flat iron once a week because it was easier to blend the textures to straight at the beginning. I broke myself into air drying by going to just blowdrying weekly then 12 months post I learned how to air dry.

Yes I did. About 2 years in my ends started breaking off and by 2.5 years I had 3 inches of relaxed hair left. I started with 5.

How often did you trim?

I didn't. At the 2.5 year mark I began dusting my ends and at the 3 year mark I got rid of what was left.

My hair was BSL. And I am a type 4a.

HTH

This is a great thread. I am a long-term transitioner. My two years will be in December, but I am planning on three years. I will be interested to hear from those who have done it.

hey nikkigirl, thanks for dropping in....do you have any comments you can share from your two year transition so far?:yep:

My two years will be in December too! I don't know how long I will go, but I have no date set for cutting yet. I'm so used to my hair now that I don't even think of "transitioning", just taking care of my hair as usual.

My hair as of July:
25July282011.JPG

hey nikkigirl, thanks for dropping in....do you have any comments you can share from your two year transition so far?:yep:

Well, for the first year and a half it was a breeze. I was co-washing every couple of days and wearing my hair in buns. I got to a year and a few months and my hair was a tangled mess keeping it in a bun and I had to stop co-washing so much. I have almost abandoned co-washing and am using shampoo once a week. The manipulation from constant co-washing was too much on me when it was time to detangle. I felt like I was losing hair. So for the last few months, I have been wearing my hair in braids, just like seven to eight random braids that I then pull back into a bun. I am thinking of getting it rollerset evey couple of weeks to continue my transition. I measured the other night and I have seven to eight inches of relaxed hair. I just can't see myself cutting all that hair, especially since my hair is pretty long. So I am going to just keep going. The products I use are Redken All soft for shampoo and conditioner. PhytoJojoba Intense Hydrating Mask, Silk Elements Leave-In Moisturizer and I still use oils. I am using Kendi Oil right now. I really don't use a lot of products at all.

baladi0822----anything you'd like to share from your two years? I'd love to know your regimen, etc?

Do you exercise?

I'm worried about detangling after workouts....

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Back