Anyone had success putting highlights in previously dyed black hair?

soslychic

I love the color of my black hair that I dyed with bigen and I've been wearing it in a full braid-out with a side part and think it looks pretty cute but shame on me I just get bored so quickly and I was thinking it'd look awesome with some highlights. But I've already permanently dyed it black with Bigen. I remember trying some dark blond highlites on dyed black hair and you can imagine the results :eek2: Came out a freaky light red. But that got me wonderin' if a medium/dark red would be possible. If anyones had any experience with this chime in plz! :D

homegirljiggy

I recently got my hair highlighted, and I've been dyed balck for a while... umm, red is a very hard color to maintain, and normally faded after the first couple of washes. That is why I got a honey brown done... its okay, the highlights will dry out our hair becaause it is being bleached. so cut back on heat, and moisture moisture moisture! and dont forget about protein

ronakajones

I tried it a couple of times and this bigen is not budging. My roots lightened up a little, but the rest of my hair didn't. I just gave up!!!

NYREEROBERTS

I have dyed my hair with Bigen for the last 5 years. In 2005 I decided to get highlights...which is seen in my photo. This was the worst thing I could have done. The stylist...who I won't shame...had to lift the black out and it was all downhill from there. The majority of my hair started to fall out over the next 3 weeks. By the end, I had to get a weave, because I had lost so much hair. When I got the highlights, my hair was armpit length which is like bsl for me because I am really tall. I was so disappointed that all my hard work(growing my hair out for 3 years) was in vain. So my advise is just to stick with black.