Anyone doing the Baggie Technique?

Boadicea

@MindyMouse, I've stopped for a week or two and my hair felt very dry and my ends begane to split again, like usual.

@ Ny2atl: the bigest benefit is moisture and retaining growth and preventing breakage.

@ Happylocks: you do it as many times as you're comfortable with. You have to find the right number of times for your hair. Some people do it one day a week, some people leave it on for the whole week, etc. I would recommend trying it for one week straight at first, to see if it's right for you.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I have just started the baggie method back in June and I have to say my ends are great. I now leave the bag on 3 to 4 days at a time.

pringe

what about those whose hair is not long enough to get into a full ponytail? How can we participate too?

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
I have just started the baggie method back in June and I have to say my ends are great. I now leave the bag on 3 to 4 days at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i started about 7 weeks ago.... I generously oil the length of my ponytail with castor oil.....I then cover my ponytail with a plastic wrap. I keep this in my hair until I wash it again. I wear headwraps on a daily basis. my beautician is always amazed at how great my ends look. this method really works.....!!!!!!!!!!!

greenidlady1

[ QUOTE ]
pringe said:
what about those whose hair is not long enough to get into a full ponytail? How can we participate too?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about moisturizing your hair at night and then using a conditioner cap? Maybe that might help...
Thanks,
Catherine

tryn2growmyhair

Boadicea said:
I'm going to start doing it again. I just started last night and my hair feels soft already. I plan to do it until January when I might opt for braids and do the Crown and Glory technique. For those of you who are new to it, here's how to do it. Baggie technique:

This technique keeps the hair moisturized because the hair is immersed in a liquid and soaks up the moisture. The technique is done once a day and may either be washed out at night or in the morning depending on when you do it. Some keep the hair in the baggie all day and wash out the liquid at night and some keep the hair in the baggie at night and rinse during the morning.

What you need:
* Hair long enough to put in a mid to high ponytail
* One schrunchie
* One small, plastic shopping bag (about half the size of a regular plastic shopping bag or smaller), or one zip-lock bag (you may want to go with the small plastic bag instead of the zip-lock bag because the zip-lock bag may slip open where as you can tie the plastic bag securely around the ponytail). Make sure there are no holes in the bag before you start!
* Olive Oil or Coconut Oil. You can also use the oil of your choice and alternate.
* One handkerchief or any non see-through cloth bun cover (Why should the whole world know you're walking around with a plastic bag in your hair?)
Optional: If you are going to use the technique during the night, make sure to put a towel on your pillow

Directions:
1. Gently comb or brush hair back and secure with a ponytail holder. Make sure that you place the ponytail at mid or high length. High length is not the top of your head, just a little bit higher than the middle of the back of your head. This way, the ponytail is not low enough so that it will be touching your clothes.

2. Check your plastic bag for holes. If none are found, go ahead and carefully pour a half cup to a full cup of Olive oil (or your choice of oil) into the bag. Slip your ponytail into the bag and lift the bag up a little to adjust and tie around the base of your ponytail. You may tie it any way you like as long as you're sure that it won't slip off. Once the bag is secure, make sure if isn't leaking. With a dry hand, feel the outside of the bag and the back of your head to make sure they are both dry. Gently scrunch the bag against the hair and slowly lift the bag up and down to distribute the oil. You will want to do this a few times a day to make sure that all of the hair in the bag stays moisturized. Wrap a handkerchief around the ponytail and make a bun cover, then tie securely.

3. Whether you rinse in the morning or at night, make sure to rinse VERY Thoroughly!!! And don't leave the oil on for more than one day!!

This is interesting, Boadecia. I have never heard of it being used just with oil. Has anyone else tried this? I tried the baggy technique with glycerin based products (s-curl) and it was not working for me. Perhaps if I use oil and rosewater? Do you think this would work?