Anyone doing the Baggie Technique?

Boadicea

I'm going to start doing it again. I just started last night and my hair feels soft already. I plan to do it until January when I might opt for braids and do the Crown and Glory technique. For those of you who are new to it, here's how to do it. Baggie technique:

This technique keeps the hair moisturized because the hair is immersed in a liquid and soaks up the moisture. The technique is done once a day and may either be washed out at night or in the morning depending on when you do it. Some keep the hair in the baggie all day and wash out the liquid at night and some keep the hair in the baggie at night and rinse during the morning.

What you need:
* Hair long enough to put in a mid to high ponytail
* One schrunchie
* One small, plastic shopping bag (about half the size of a regular plastic shopping bag or smaller), or one zip-lock bag (you may want to go with the small plastic bag instead of the zip-lock bag because the zip-lock bag may slip open where as you can tie the plastic bag securely around the ponytail). Make sure there are no holes in the bag before you start!
* Olive Oil or Coconut Oil. You can also use the oil of your choice and alternate.
* One handkerchief or any non see-through cloth bun cover (Why should the whole world know you're walking around with a plastic bag in your hair?)
Optional: If you are going to use the technique during the night, make sure to put a towel on your pillow

Directions:
1. Gently comb or brush hair back and secure with a ponytail holder. Make sure that you place the ponytail at mid or high length. High length is not the top of your head, just a little bit higher than the middle of the back of your head. This way, the ponytail is not low enough so that it will be touching your clothes.

2. Check your plastic bag for holes. If none are found, go ahead and carefully pour a half cup to a full cup of Olive oil (or your choice of oil) into the bag. Slip your ponytail into the bag and lift the bag up a little to adjust and tie around the base of your ponytail. You may tie it any way you like as long as you're sure that it won't slip off. Once the bag is secure, make sure if isn't leaking. With a dry hand, feel the outside of the bag and the back of your head to make sure they are both dry. Gently scrunch the bag against the hair and slowly lift the bag up and down to distribute the oil. You will want to do this a few times a day to make sure that all of the hair in the bag stays moisturized. Wrap a handkerchief around the ponytail and make a bun cover, then tie securely.

3. Whether you rinse in the morning or at night, make sure to rinse VERY Thoroughly!!! And don't leave the oil on for more than one day!!

adrienne0914

i do mine a little different, boadicea. i'm guessing that yours is a more intense treatment, right? i don't immerse my hair in the moisturizer. i just put enough activator on my hair and vaseline on my ends to saturate well. i only rinse it out when i wash my hair. right now, that's once a week.

you can use foldover sandwich bags rather than ziplocs. the plastic that they use for them is alot thinner and very easy to work with. also, you can use the foot of an old stocking to cover it if you wear all day.

adrienne

Peachtree

Hi Boadicea
I've never heard of this technique, however, it sounds like a wonderful "highly intense" moisture/oil treatment. Currently I am trying to finalize my "winter regimes", and this technique is a definite KEEPER! Thanks girl /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm really excited about trying this. I have a formal event to attend this Fri...(my church is celebrating it's 40th anniversary)...I was planning to wear my hair "up" to protect the ends, however, if I use this method 2x this week, my hair should be moist enough to wear at least some of it down (it's cold, windy & snowy here in Cleve).

Thanks again for explaining this method.
God Bless,
Peachtree

Tea

I haven't tried it. Sounds interesting though. Is the oil applied to wet or dry hair?

pebbles

Interesting. I may give it a shot with winter in full swing. I have to keep my hair as moist as possible. I've heard that winter is expected to brutal this year, which means my hair needs all the protecting I can give it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ladytee

Oh Yeah this method works like a charm. I used it when I was relaxed although my version was a little diffrent. At night I put oil like kemi oyl on my hair and ends. Then put a sandwich bag on the hair and secured it with a ponytail holder. Then put my scarf on. I'm telling ya my ends always looked freshly trimmed nice and even. This is a keeper. When I'm finally 100% natural I'm going to incoporate this in to my routine.

adrienne0914

ladytee, this is how i do it also. i keep it on my hair like that all the time though.

tea, i do this whether my hair is wet or dry, but it's usually right after i wash so it's first wet. during the course of the week, i sometimes add more moisture to my dry hair then put the baggie back on.

adrienne

Nyambura

surfer girl
I've also done the baggy version outlined by Adrienne. Currently though, I do a baggie version for wraps which only requires 1 to 3 hours and leaves my hair moisturized and bouncy. I got this technique from Mahalia Lee, another LHCF member, who has a lot of amazing hair knowledge and recipes.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I did this for the first time last night because my are almost always dry. It works oh so well. I will definitely be adding this to my weekly routine. Thanks Ladies!

S

Stylepink

I started this about 3 months ago. My ends were so dry, I could not find anything to moisturize them consistantly until I found the method. It works great! I can't imagine doing my hair any other way. I also do this under my ponytail with a fold over sandwich bag. I put the product on my ends and the length of my ponytail and then put the bag on.

vanessa_gilmore

Hi I'm new to the board. I just cut all my hair length except an inch. Every morning before I leave the house I saturate my dry hair and scalp with olive oil and peppermint mixed. I then put on a plastic cap and put a head scarf on top of that. I keep it on while I'm running errands or whatever. Then rinse it out. My hair and scalp have seen tremendous results. My hair was shedding and now growing back thicker in 3 weeks. I do shower massage on my scalp too. That might have helped.

Spagirl

I'm going to get my plastic cap/satin bonnet and put it on my head right now and jump back in the bed.

Boadicea

I'm still doing this technique and it's working fine for me. Now all I need are the smaller ziplock bags that come with new coats (where the extra buttons are) but I don't know where to buy them.

serena

[ QUOTE ]
Your hair doesn't smell "sour"??? After leaving it up in a plastic bag all week?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

adrienne0914

boadicea, just use the foldover sandwich bags instead. i tried the ziploc when i forst started doing this. the zip thingy just gets in the way. plus you can get the sandwich bags at any grocery store. i think it's like $1.50 for 100 or so.

queenofmean, when i do this, my hair is usually wet when i first put it up. so i take the baggie off at the end of the first day so my hair can finish drying. then i put the baggie back on before bed.

Boadicea

No, my hair doesn't smell sour at all. I take off the baggie at night and squeeze out some of the oil so it doesn't get all over the pillow, then I put it bag in the baggie the next day. My hair will soak up just about anything immediately so by the end of the day, there's not much oil left.

@ Adriennne: Those zippers are so hard to conceal
But I guess I'll have to stick with it. I'll get the regular ones the next time I'm in the grocery. I'm so used to buying the ones with the zippers that it didn't even cross my mind

Well I'm giving this a go right now. My first 'baggie'

I spritzed my hair with distilled water first then poured some avocado oil and exra virgin into a small sandwich bag. Secured the bag with hair inside with a scrunchie.

I'll leave it overnight.

This so makes sense to do something like this... thanks Adrienne for introducing this to me and everyone else. If I like the results then here's to another routine keeper.

[ QUOTE ]
I have been doing this for about a week and my ends are soft and moisturized. I love it! It's a keeper for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you do it every night and wash it out in the morning?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Actually I do the reverse. I Co wash my hair in the evening and wear the baggie throughout the evening, morning and afternoon. When I know I am in the house for good(around 2:30) I take it down and let it air dry. Then by 10:00pm I am washing it again and putting the bag back on. I have been wearing phony pony's so this easily covers the bag.

G

I have a question, anybody ever did this and stopped for week or 2?

Was there severe snapping and breakage? Do you have to do this for life?

ny2atl

What has been the biggest benefit of this baggie oil treatment? I'm guessing less breakage because the hair is more supple???

happylocks

Am trying a V-Challenge baggie, When I tried the VC in a bun my hair came out really dry, so I changed it my way, I keep my hair in a sandwhich bag, it stays wet till the next morning, I take it down, then spary it again, add more Vaseline, and change the bag, and start over, my hair is in braids now, and Am going to try the baggie for my whole hair, when I take my braids out, How many times a month do u do the baggie or VC ? ty