Anybody Not using Lye relaxers?

cece22

Can you tell me why and what type. I am starting to believe that my hair looks so much better with No-Lye than lye I am currently using Affirm Regular lye I used Motions Oil before my hair no longer looks shiny like the picture it has taken on a dull texture.

Attachments

• rollerset3162005-vi.jpeg
    rollerset3162005-vi.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 13
When I first joined the boards I hopped on the Affirm lye bandwagon but alas it was not for me. My hair was not straightened to my satisfaction at all.

I went back to Soft and Beautiful no-lye and I am happy again. My hair is strong and straight.:grin:

When did you make the switch? In the album it says the shiny pic was from March...? It looks pretty healthy in all the pics, to me.

I just recently (last week), went back to using a no-lye relaxer at the suggestion of my dermatologist. I found out that I have a slight allergy to Sodium Hydroxide. I was using Revlon Realistic Extra Conditioning, but am now using Soft & Beautiful. I was scared to make the switch initally, because I haven't used a no-lye relaxer in almost 10 years. But, my Soft & Beautiful didn't let me down. My hair processed beautifully!!!! It's definitely a keeper!!!! :up: :up: :up:

I use Profectiv. My hair never looks as good with any other. It is so much better for me. I even take the kit into the stylist if I am getting it done at the salon.

I used phytorelaxer for my last relaxer in...early March (I think). I'm planning on using it again for my next relaxer.

I've never used a lye relaxer. I have a sensitive scalp and don't want to take any chances. I use and love Soft & Beautiful No-Lye! Now, I have over 4" of unstretched new growth and I'm trying to decide if I want to transition or relax, again.

Last edited:
Sadly I gave up transitioning after 6 months and just relaxed my hair Sunday w/ a store bought Organic's no-lye perm (or whatever that company is called.)

I always heard no-lye perms were stronger than lye perms, but I will say that I think they are less irritating on the scalp.

Tracy said:
When did you make the switch? In the album it says the shiny pic was from March...? It looks pretty healthy in all the pics, to me.

I don't remember exactly when I switched but this is the first time I used Lye it was motions Lye so the ends of my hair was no Lye now that my hair is growing the lye section is duller than the no-lye and my touch up only last for about 2 1/2 weeks. And my roler set hasn't looked like this since.

I have used african pride no lye for a long time with no problems, but switched to the lye formula because of the popularity. I underprocessed both times and did not like how my hair felt overall.
No disrespect to the lye users because I have seen beautiful hair on lhcf, but I have seen beautiful hair on the board's no lye users also. I just think no lye was for me and is for me. :)

I tried Affirm Fiber Guard Lye some time ago, but went back to No-Lye, because it was better for my scalp and ultimately my hair too. I have no burning with No-Lye!

I am soo scared to switch back to No-Lye I really think my hair looks better. The problem was I was overprocessing with no-lye. I would hate to have to post switched back to no-lye and all my hair came out. How safe is it to switch back? I will be relaxing again in 6 months it has already been 6-weeks. I've been experiencing lots of breakage as well I kind of think the lye is somewhat responsible.

cece22 said:
I am soo scared to switch back to No-Lye I really think my hair looks better. The problem was I was overprocessing with no-lye. I would hate to have to post switched back to no-lye and all my hair came out. How safe is it to switch back? I will be relaxing again in 6 months it has already been 6-weeks. I've been experiencing lots of breakage as well I kind of think the lye is somewhat responsible.

I completely understand your fear, cece22. I had all kinds of concerns about switching back to no-lye after 10 years. I mulled it over a thousand times. :lol: But, I'm so glad that I made the switch. I didn't have any breakage after using the no-lye, and I've also noticed that I only shed a couple of hairs per day at the most. I was getting much more shedding with the lye relaxer. The no-lye didn't burn at all, and it smoothed my new growth just as well, if not better, than the lye relaxer. My hair now has a lot of body, bounce and sheen and I have no scalp flaking. I'm 100% satisfied, and will be using the no-lye (Soft & Beautiful) from here on out. :) :)

Since I could remember that I needed a touchup I have been using Soft n Beautiful Regular No-Lye Relaxer. It has never failed me!;)

Back