Anybody ever had a sticky, white film on their scalp? PLEASE HELP!

LilMissSunshine5

So I washed and DC my hair last night. And the white, super sticky film on my scalp has reappeared. I am 8 months into my transition and it first started happening in the last couple of months. It is very thick and so sticky that when I scrap it off, it sticks to my fingers and doesn't want to dissolve :nono: I know scratching your scalp is bad, but it is the only way I have been able to get this film off :cry: I switched deep conditioners because I thought it was the product, but this is the second conditioner it has happened with :( This hurts my heart because this means I can't use NTM Deep Moisture Masque or Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Conditioner anymore :nono: My hair likes them, but my scalp HATES them.

I did figure out something though...it must be caused by some sort of chemical that my scalp is sensitive to :nono: Maybe cones? They are in both the deep conditioners :ohwell: I don't know...but I need to find a new moisturizing DC very soon! Maybe it is bc I am using a heating cap for 2-3h, which I never did before this year (when my problems with sticky scalp film started). The conditioners also make my head itch a little. I am at a loss for what to do. Any suggestions ladies? :feedback: I may need to find an all natural DC because this sticky, white film is disgusting! I just clarified last week, so I don't think it means I need to do that. I am desperate to figure this out. My scalp is still itchy today, so I am going to wash my hair again :ohwell: My head hurts from itching my scalp, but I can't help myself bc it is still irritated by something. Anybody else had this issue? Any insight that can be provided is appreciated! TIA

Mystic

Never had this problem so I can't give any suggestions. However, how often do you wash your hair? Maybe washing more regularly might help, and when you DC try to put the conditioner towards the end of the hair and not on the scalp. I hope you find the solution you are looking for.

I felt bad for you that you are asking for help and 34+ people read your thread and no one had anything to say.

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aviah

I'm sorry I really don't know what that is. If you're really worried, go to a dermatologist soon as you can.

LilMissSunshine5

Thanks for responding ladies! I have a dermatologist appointment set up for March 10, but I have to make it until then LOL I wash my hair 2x/week and DC 1x/week. Before ppl told me it might be product residue on my scalp so I have been diligent about clarifying and not applying conditioner near my scalp, yet the problem has still resurfaced :nono: I have been to the dermatologist several times before because I have sensitive skin, so this may just be another example of that unfortunately. I do have a documented sensitivity to chemicals, which is why I am transitioning out of chemical relaxers. The derm also had me switch to Sulfate-free shampoo, natural soap and stop using lotion (I only use almond & coconut oil to moisturize my skin). I am guessing that they will now recommend only using natural conditioners :ahwell: It is clear that I can't use commercial stuff bc this sticky film is yucky & irritating to my scalp...guess I better start saving my money :lachen::lachen: Using natural products only is so expensive :lol: Thanks again ladies!

FindingMe

Have you tried to clarify witha natural product - Like with KC Come Clean or something similiar? Just get to the scalp /really massage it in and let the suds run down your hair? Maybe a little baking soda to get the scalp really clean?

I always leave a couple of inches at the scalp/never let conditioner actually reach or touch my scalp when co-washing or DCing by my scalp doesn't like conditioner either and it makes my head itch the following day and I get little bumps where the follicles get clogged.

Sorry, OP-
Hope you figure it out soon-

ETA: you answered all my questions in your later post. Hope the dermatogist can help

LilMissSunshine5

Thank you for trying to help me FindingMe! I am a lost cause :lachen::lachen: But I will be researching natural products/conditioners all afternoon, so I'll definitely check out KC Come Clean. Any advice on moisturizing natural conditioners/products in general? I am new to this natural products game :yep: But I plan to do an ACV rinse in the next hour or so to hopefully help restore some order to my itchy scalp :yep: It is borderline ridiculous how sensitive I am to chemicals :look:

Have you tried to clarify witha natural product - Like with KC Come Clean or something similiar? Just get to the scalp /really massage it in and let the suds run down your hair? Maybe a little baking soda to get the scalp really clean?

I always leave a couple of inches at the scalp/never let conditioner actually reach or touch my scalp when co-washing or DCing by my scalp doesn't like conditioner either and it makes my head itch the following day and I get little bumps where the follicles get clogged.

Sorry, OP-
Hope you figure it out soon-

ETA: you answered all my questions in your later post. Hope the dermatogist can help

fashion87

It def sounds like product buildup, i'm having the same problem due to stupid ORS replenishing conditioner :nono: (never again)....it left film in my hair, but now I remember why I stopped using it. Also it seeped onto my scalp, and I try to never let conditioner get on my scalp because it's really sensitive and will get itchy. Just try a clarifying shampoo to get it out of your hair, that's what I plan on doing :yep:

LilMissSunshine5

Is it still sticky when your hair is completely dry?

It isn't sticky now. I airdried my hair overnight in braids. It is still itchy though :nono: I rinsed my hair for over 10 minutes to try to get it out. I finally was just tired and felt like I got most of it. I was wrong bc my scalp is still itchy :sad: So I am going to clarify my scalp, condition with TJ Nourish Spa (it is the only condish I have that is cone-free) and do a final ACV rinse. Hopefully this will help! Any recommendations on natural moisturizing dc? Or how to avoid this issue in the future? TIA

It's possibly fungal. Your scalp may be reacting from the different products. Only a doctor would know for sure. If you are feeling desperate/brave try dabbing a tiny bit of vagasil or something like that to small area to see if it helps. I should take a few days and clear up if it's fungal :look: .

angellike

this used to happen to me when i used wildgrowth hair oil, this might sound weird but i used tresemme moisture rich conditioner and it somehow got the build up off my scalp, i just used a nice handful or two, and really massaged my scalp while keeping my hair drenched with water the conditioner kind of foamed up and the buildup rinsed away

DarkVictory

Don't have any product suggestions, but wanted to give you :bighug: from someone else with chemical sensitivities. The whole NTM line makes me itchy or gummy or both. Good luck with your derm. appt.

westNDNbeauty

When I get the white film it's because its time to clarify when I have been cowashing for a while. I wash with Aphogee damaged hair shampoo or CHI moisturizing shampoo. After that, my scalp is completely clean.

The best moisturizing DC I have is the silk elements which I use regularly.

LilMissSunshine5

EbonyHairedPrincess- It may be fungal. I have an anti-fungal shampoo in my bathroom from previous skin issues on my arm, so I may try it bc what do I have to lose at this point? It is a shampoo (usually prescribed for scalp issues) after all :) Thanks for pointing that out! Glad I already have special shampoo bc I am desperate enough to go out to the store and buy Monistat/Vagisil :lachen::lachen: The store clerk would be looking at me crazy with several tubes in my hand, thinking I am trifling to not take care of my "problem" sooner LOLOL

It's possibly fungal. Your scalp may be reacting from the different products. Only a doctor would know for sure. If you are feeling desperate/brave try dabbing a tiny bit of vagasil or something like that to small area to see if it helps. I should take a few days and clear up if it's fungal :look: .

anartist4u2001

my scalp is like that too. it wasn't like this when i lived in Mississippi, but when i moved to Texas i started to get flaking. my scalp always has white stuff on it no matter how much i scrub, and it's always itching! ugh, i hate it. damn what is wrong with the water here????? :ohwell:

LilMissSunshine5

this used to happen to me when i used wildgrowth hair oil, this might sound weird but i used tresemme moisture rich conditioner and it somehow got the build up off my scalp, i just used a nice handful or two, and really massaged my scalp while keeping my hair drenched with water the conditioner kind of foamed up and the buildup rinsed away

angellike-Thanks for letting me know I am not alone :) I think I am going to clarify my scalp with my anti-fungal poo, do an instant condish with TJ Nourish Spa and do a final ACV rinse to be safe. Since I already know I am sensitive to chemicals, I am going to stick with these until the derm appt, so I don't irritate my scalp any further. Thank you so much for the advice, I will research the ingredients in the product so I can run it by the dermatologist before using :yep:

Nonie

OP, I think it might be conditioner residue. Remember conditioner is made in such a way that even after you rinse, it remains coating your hair for protection. That's why I do not apply conditioner to my scalp and I don't DC overnight. And when I do apply conditioner, I skip the section of my hair closest to my scalp.

I think you should clarify focusing the shampoo on your scalp. Then when you apply conditioner, do not get it on your scalp. Folks look at me like I'm crazy coz it's impossible to prevent it getting on your scalp, but I use the same argument that as applying relaxer without getting it on your scalp. In the case of relaxer you base your scalp because you're apply close to it. In my case, I don't worry about the hair closest to my scalp and I leave my twists hanging down so that conditioner is concentrated on ends not base.

You may also do what I do at the end of my wash, which is mix ACV in a basin of water 1/4 cup of ACV and then dunk my head in it and massage my scalp to remove any hint of residue.

Also I know a lot of people don't rinse well when they rinse conditioner. I am a long time rinser. I rinse and rinse and rinse till I don't see much froth and while I'm doing that, I massage my scalp to leave it squeaky clean.

I honestly think what you're seeing is conditioner coating that is supposed to be left behind after you rinse.

The one time I saw gummy stuff was when I tried to use natural shampoos only. I do use natural shampoos that don't leave that sticky almost sappy coating that one natural shampoo left. I honestly don't remember which it was but think it was by AO. Back then I did read that that ingredient which is supposed to be cleansing does leave that coating. So I returned to SLS shampoos and still use them along with a few natural shampoos that don't leave my hair feeling that way.

Vashti

Perhaps you should use something all natural for a deep conditioner until you see your dermatologist? Maybe coconut cream or yogurt mixed with honey? :yep: Something with no chemicals until your doctor can figure out the issue. I've never had eczema in my scalp but I've had it everywhere else in the past and harsh chemicals in body products made it worse!

LilMissSunshine5

Don't have any product suggestions, but wanted to give you :bighug: from someone else with chemical sensitivities. The whole NTM line makes me itchy or gummy or both. Good luck with your derm. appt.

DarkVictory- THANK YOU SO MUCH! :bighug: The NTM line/Silk Elements makes me itchy & filmy, but my hair feels so soft and moisturized afterwards. I think this settles it, "cones" and I don't mix well together :nono: I get so frustrated with having so many chemical sensitivities! I use special shampoo, soap, "lotion", laundry detergent and it seems I will only be adding to the list after this next appointment! My roommate says I am allergic to life!!! :lachen::lachen: Sometimes, it really feels like that! But it could always be worse, so I am still blessed...hang in there!

Nonie

OP, just wanted to add that AO GPB is natural and you don't need to use heat with it. Just apply it do dry hair (not scalp) and leave it on for 15 minutes then shampoo it off. I usually just go about doing whatever around the house with no cap (I usually use a cap if I'm showering so I don't rinse it off). If you do the no cap way, then you won't have it getting on your scalp if you're just sensitive to product on it like I am.

Nonie

@DarkVictory- THANK YOU SO MUCH! :bighug: The NTM line/Silk Elements makes me itchy & filmy, but my hair feels so soft and moisturized afterwards. I think this settles it, "cones" and I don't mix well together :nono: I get so frustrated with having so many chemical sensitivities! I use special shampoo, soap, "lotion", laundry detergent and it seems I will only be adding to the list after this next appointment! My roommate says I am allergic to life!!! :lachen::lachen: Sometimes, it really feels like that! But it could always be worse, so I am still blessed...hang in there!

Don't be too hasty to come to that conclusion. Cones make your hair feel good so you can't say you don't agree with them. Cones make your scalp feel horrible. That's my story too. Cones do not belong on your scalp but on your hair. That's the coating that you're scraping off.

I don't like cones on my scalp otherwise if I didn't have issues with them, I'd be baggying with them because I love how they feel on my hair. S Curl has cones and as much as I am trying to make using S Curl on my ends the norm, I can't baggy comfortably coz cones don't belong on my scalp. And if I had to choose between baggying and sealing ends, I'd take baggying all the way. So I use S Curl only when wearing my hair out and then I wash and return to baggying.

LilMissSunshine5

anartist4u2001- I sympathize! The itching drives me crazy! And the endless amounts of white stuff is so annoying and discouraging. Maybe you are sensitive to the chemicals in the water in TX? I have no new insight, but hang in there and maybe try some of the suggestions from ladies in this forum? If it doesn't get better soon, maybe see a derm? :bighug:

my scalp is like that too. it wasn't like this when i lived in Mississippi, but when i moved to Texas i started to get flaking. my scalp always has white stuff on it no matter how much i scrub, and it's always itching! ugh, i hate it. damn what is wrong with the water here????? :ohwell:

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
When my scalp starting itching like crazy and hair started falling out, i started washing my hair with borax instead of shampoo. Just borax and water mixed together. I let it sit on my scalp for about an hour each time. My scalp felt so good afterwards and my hair was soft too. I had an allergic reaction to a hair dye and it tore my scalp up.

LilMissSunshine5

Nonie- Thank you soooo much for all your advice! I was definitely trying to avoid my scalp during the DC application, but sitting under a shower cap & heating cap for 3h could have negated that anyway :sad: I will be open-minded about the cones, but hold off on using them again until I consult with the derm. I am going to minimize using chemicals until I get the ok from the dermatologist. I think I need to try no cap conditioning in the meantime, bc this 2-3h heat/cap conditioning is obviously not working for me right now. Do you use a steamer ever? I am going to look up AO GPB bc I definitely want to try more natural products. You use it on dry hair with no heat...I can do that :yep: Why is it supposed to be used on dry hair? For today, I am just going to clarify, do a quick condish with TJ Nourish Spa and do a final rinse with the ACV mixture you mentioned. I will report back my results to everyone...I really hope this stops my scalp from itching :look:

LilMissSunshine5

Vashti-I did used to use a honey/olive oil pre-poo that left my hair feeling super moisturized in the past. I only stopped using it bc it was so sticky/messy, but I think I should start using it again bc my scalp felt good with that! Thanks for your help!

Perhaps you should use something all natural for a deep conditioner until you see your dermatologist? Maybe coconut cream or yogurt mixed with honey? :yep: Something with no chemicals until your doctor can figure out the issue. I've never had eczema in my scalp but I've had it everywhere else in the past and harsh chemicals in body products made it worse!

Nonie

@Nonie- Thank you soooo much for all your advice! I was definitely trying to avoid my scalp during the DC application, but sitting under a shower cap & heating cap for 3h could have negated that anyway :sad: I will be open-minded about the cones, but hold off on using them again until I consult with the derm. I am going to minimize using chemicals until I get the ok from the dermatologist. I think I need to try no cap conditioning in the meantime, bc this 2-3h heat/cap conditioning is obviously not working for me right now. Do you use a steamer ever? I am going to look up AO GPB bc I definitely want to try more natural products. You use it on dry hair with no heat...I can do that :yep: Why is it supposed to be used on dry hair? For today, I am just going to clarify, do a quick condish with TJ Nourish Spa and do a final rinse with the ACV mixture you mentioned. I will report back my results to everyone...I really hope this stops my scalp from itching :look:

You're welcome. The instructions on AO GPB say using it on dry is how to use it if you're trying to DC not condition regularly. I'm a stickler for rules and it makes sense to me because when you apply it to dry hair, it's not diluted but very concentrated.

I do not use a steamer and I actually stopped using heat when I DC because if bubble hair is a fact (that's when liquid boils inside your hair and causes bubbles that then split your hair midshaft), then what's to say that blow drying or DCing with heat isn't causing moisture within the hair to expand. I'm not saying that's really what's happening, but if there's truth to bubble hair, it's likely it happens any time hair is heated with moisture inside it. I was happy to find I could still DC w/o heat and have been doing it for over 5 years now.

And because I don't use a heat with the cap, I don't have to worry about conditioner heating up and dripping to my scalp to cause itches. Every now and then I might itch from wearing the cap while I complete my shower but it's not that crazy, scalp-on-fire itch...but just a spot hear and there. But the precautions I take to avoid product on my scalp seem to leave me with a happy scalp.

kblc06

That' sounds like build-up from not completely washing the conditioner from your scalp. I get that from time to time when I do an overnight DC treatment

LilMissSunshine5

So when I wet my hair and massaged my scalp, I still had some film left over :nono: I used the prescription shampoo (rinsed for 10 minutes), then used BeeMine Daily Conditioner on ends of hair (rinsed for over 15 minutes), then I did a final rinse with ACV & rinsed with water until it felt clean. I then inspected my hair & had to rinse one section some more SMH My hair is so thick that it takes forever to get rinsed clean, but my scalp feels great and super clean now, so it is definitely worth it :yay: Thanks for the help ladies!