Any Tricks for Elongating Curls??

wyldcurlz

damn shrinkage!! for some reason this new product i'm using gives me great curl definition, but it causes major shrinkage.

has anyone found a trick for elongating curls? dealing with shrinkage?

silvergirl

i wish i found the trick , i usually have to pick between, super curl definition. major shrinkage. or frizz free long curls but super thin.. (read.. flat no volume hair) or teeny bit of frizz, but still good enough curl definition.

i usually live with a teeny bit of frizz with good curl definition but at least i get the volume and length i want for my fine hair. every so often.. mostly luck lol i get 100% frizz free curls with volume and length

so1913

My trick is using a blow dryer to stretch the curl once hair is completely dry (if you are not opposed to heat that is). Grab hair in sections stretch downward, and use a warm blowdryer up and down along the length of the section for about 3-5 secs...hold hair stretched out in place without heat for a few seconds to allow to cool and lock in stretched out curls. This will elongate your curls as well as add some volume.

SEMO

Sometimes after my hair is completely dry I can pull down gently on the ends to stretch my hair some. But hair LOVES to shrink up! I just go with it now. I don't think my hair will ever hang past shoulder length with shrinkage. No matter how long it is when straight.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My trick is using a blow dryer to stretch the curl once hair is completely dry (if you are not opposed to heat that is). Grab hair in sections stretch downward, and use a warm blowdryer up and down along the length of the section for about 3-5 secs...hold hair stretched out in place without heat for a few seconds to allow to cool and lock in stretched out curls. This will elongate your curls as well as add some volume.

Yes, I do this too sometimes :yep:

wyldcurlz

i wonder if its product? i haven't worn my hair curly in at least a year, but i'm using Mixed Chicks Leave-In - gives great curl definition and results in touchably soft curls, but maaaajor shrinkage. maybe i can try something else. i used Curly Pudding back in the day, that seemed nice...

so1913

You can also take a claw clamp, pull your hair back and gather it low at the nape of your neck stretching out the curls and secure with a claw clamp. Keep this on for a while and it should help stretch out the curls when you let it loose again.

wyldcurlz

so1913 - i'd like to try the claw clamp idea but my hair is tightest at the back - the nape and from my ears back. if i pony tail it bunches up, its crazy. i'm thinking your blow-dryer stretch idea might work best for me. the front seems to hang just fine.

another problem is i don't think my hair is cut in the proper shape for curls. its strange because my hair is longer, but curlier?? so1913 - do you have a 'special' cut for your hair? it hangs beautifully when curly.

has anyone here tried any of those in-salon keratin treatments? i wonder if that could stretch my curls?

so1913

so1913 - i'd like to try the claw clamp idea but my hair is tightest at the back - the nape and from my ears back. if i pony tail it bunches up, its crazy. i'm thinking your blow-dryer stretch idea might work best for me. the front seems to hang just fine.

another problem is i don't think my hair is cut in the proper shape for curls. its strange because my hair is longer, but curlier?? so1913 - do you have a 'special' cut for your hair? it hangs beautifully when curly.

has anyone here tried any of those in-salon keratin treatments? i wonder if that could stretch my curls?

My hair is actually cut a certain way to so that it "falls" just right. I guess it's a kind of layering...if you have access to a stylist that specializes in curly/textured hair, I'd recommend seeing them for an appropriate shaping for your hair type. I could definitely feel the defience when I stopped going to A. Dickey...as my hair grew out in a more blunt cut, I became more unhappy with styling. I went back to him about 2 months ago and got it shaped up again and now it falls just right :).

Soliel185

When my hair is dry I spritz it with water, my moisture mix or diluted conditioner and then gently pull on lg sections of curls. They're damp enough to stretch, but not so wet that they lose their shape.

Also, a really good moisturizing DC/treatment can help you get more "hang" to your hair.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
pull it into a ponytail until it dries about 80%, and then let it loose. this works pretty well

ALWAYZL8

I think my hair is long enough for the clamp idea and it's safe!! I used to stretch with the blow dryer...almost every day and I had to get more frequent trims. I put it down in May.

wyldcurlz

My hair is actually cut a certain way to so that it "falls" just right. I guess it's a kind of layering...if you have access to a stylist that specializes in curly/textured hair, I'd recommend seeing them for an appropriate shaping for your hair type. I could definitely feel the defience when I stopped going to A. Dickey...as my hair grew out in a more blunt cut, I became more unhappy with styling. I went back to him about 2 months ago and got it shaped up again and now it falls just right :).

is his salon called Hair Rules NYC? i seriously might make a trek out there just for a cut. i cannot find anyone in CA who cuts/cares about curly hair.

PatTodd

I have been having major problems with super tight curls and shrinkage. The other day, I happened upon a new styling technique by accident - I applied all my leave ins (conditioner, serum, Proclaim gel) in the shower to my soaking wet detangled hair. I think I even passed my head back under the shower to be sure it was dripping wet. Then I made a loose braid down my back, squeezed out some of the water from the braid, covered my edges with a silk scarf, dried under my Pibbs for 10 minutes, gently undid the braid and dried 5 more minutes, then shook my head vigorously and I had defined, elongated curls! I felt like I had won a million dollars (okay, I exaggerate!).

I recently also realized that products with glycerin cause my hair to shrink so I am in the process of experimenting with non-glycerin gels or not using gel at all.

wyldcurlz

I have been having major problems with super tight curls and shrinkage. The other day, I happened upon a new styling technique by accident - I applied all my leave ins (conditioner, serum, Proclaim gel) in the shower to my soaking wet detangled hair. I think I even passed my head back under the shower to be sure it was dripping wet. Then I made a loose braid down my back, squeezed out some of the water from the braid, covered my edges with a silk scarf, dried under my Pibbs for 10 minutes, gently undid the braid and dried 5 more minutes, then shook my head vigorously and I had defined, elongated curls! I felt like I had won a million dollars (okay, I exaggerate!).

I recently also realized that products with glycerin cause my hair to shrink so I am in the process of experimenting with non-glycerin gels or not using gel at all.

interesting observation - thought i'd look into this and the product i just started using (mixed chicks leave-in) glycerin is the 2nd product. i've never had shrinkage like this (though mixed chicks is giving me great curl definition and softness...once it dries) now i'm thinking glycerin might shrink my curls too!

i haven't tried going under the dryer because usually i have to re-wet daily, but maybe going under the dryer would elongate the curls and i could actually achieve second day curls!!

tocktick

* Bentonite clay. I did two treatments in one month and noticed my hair was hanging a bit more.

* Curlisto method

* Banding almost dry hair in bigger sections. Personally, when band with hair that's too damp the hair-bands creates some crinkles in my hair. It's a nice look but I notice that it doesn't happen with nearly dry hair.

Last edited:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

After cowashing, I either do some big twist or use some big snap on rollers all over until I am ready to leave for work. I seem to get the best results with the snap on rollers (lots of volume and elongated curls) instead of the big twists and there is no heat involved.