Any naturals use/like Mizani Thermasmooth?

pmichael52172

I did a consult with stylist yesterday. In a nutshell.... I think I like her. Anyway, I told her all of my goals, priorities, preferences, likes, dislikes, expectations.... (I know... I'm anal).

I told her I wanted someone that could do a good press and curl for silk scarf/hat season. She highly suggested the Mizani Thermasmooth system and whipped out some before and after pics of her naturals that had them done.

She told me that it would give me silky pressed results (without hot combing) and would NOT change my curl pattern. I made her promise me that because I told her I did want to switch up some weeks and wear textured styles (which is why I don't BKT). She promised. She also said that I wouldn't need to come every week, I could come every other. I've seen the results in Dontspeakdefeat's Fotki :)lick:) but just want other personal accounts.

My main question is, will the curl pattern stay the same if I do this system say.... during the winter months?

MsBoinglicious

What is a Mizani Thermasmooth? I am not up to par with these alternative treatments to relaxing. Somebody school me or point in the direction. I heard of the BKT but didn't like the "when wet it has a texturized look" results it had on alot of Naturals hair (it looked burned straight at the ends and not "texturixed" with loose waves curls). Plus the process seemed like to much with the heat and fumes and more heat and fumes and more heat etc etc.

What makes the Mizani Thermasmooth different? What did your stylist say about the process of putting it in your hair?

pmichael52172

In a nutshell, it's a straightening system but DOES NOT chemically alter your hair/ or its natural curl pattern. You don't have to grow it out.... just wash and your hair is back. It's suppose to last longer than a press and curl style but only a blow dryer and flat iron are needed and it can last up to 2 weeks (frizz free) unless of course you wash it before then.

But girl hold on. Dontspeakdefeat will be in this thread in a minute. She will have ALL the details. She's a stylist and has done it on her clients. Some pics are in her fotki. I can't wait until she responds

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Ok. As a stylist who used the thermasmooth on a regular basis. I can give you a little insight.

For BoingBoing, it's a set of shampoo, conditioner, styling serum and shine spray that helps keep natural hair from reverting so quickly when it is styled straight. It doesn't have anything in it that will make your curls stay straight permanently.

PMichael, let me answer your questions.

Thermasmooth does not change your curl pattern. It is just styling products applied to the hair to make it more manageable and it does a great job.

You can go about 2 weeks in between getting your hair straightened by using the Mizani. They are really good product for naturals and even transitioners. When I use it on my clients hair it is almost always still straight when they return for the next shampoo and press.

The only thing that would make your curl pattern not return to normal is heat damage. Since the stylist that you consulted with does a lot of natural presses she is more than likely familiar with using the proper tools and techniques to keep your natural curl pattern in tact. At least I hope so.

You will get fabulous results with the thermasmooth. It really is a great set of products.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
In a nutshell, it's a straightening system but DOES NOT chemically alter your hair/ or its natural curl pattern. You don't have to grow it out.... just wash and your hair is back. It's suppose to last longer than a press and curl style but only a blow dryer and flat iron are needed and it can last up to 2 weeks (frizz free) unless of course you wash it before then.

But girl hold on. Dontspeakdefeat will be in this thread in a minute. She will have ALL the details. She's a stylist and has done it on her clients. Some pics are in her fotki. I can't wait until she responds
Your description is way better than mine. :grin: You could sell the stuff!! :grin:

But just to say again. It is really great for natural presses. You can get that press and curl look without all the grease and heat damage!!

pmichael52172

:bighug: Thank you! I'm done... I'm sold...I'm making my appointment right now! When I told this woman that I wanted a good press and curl, she told me that while she can do them, she prefers a healthier alternative and that's when she suggested the Thermasmooth.

pmichael52172

Your description is way better than mine. :grin: You could sell the stuff!! :grin:

But just to say again. It is really great for natural presses. You can get that press and curl look without all the grease and heat damage!!

I think I'm in information overload. I was up all night reading up on this stuff and came across the pics in your fotki.
This is all the confirmation I needed. This is basically a no-brainer.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
:bighug: Thank you! I'm done... I'm sold...I'm making my appointment right now! When I told this woman that I wanted a good press and curl, she told me that while she can do them, she prefers a healthier alternative and that's when she suggested the Thermasmooth.
If she used the word "healthier" then she is on her game! You have to let us know how it works out for you!

pmichael52172

I definitely will. Luckily, she likes taking pics so I'll have her do before and afters for my album.

I haven't gotten a sense of her styling skills but that's the least of my worries because I know how to style my own hair very well. That's something I can teach her as we work together more. Health is most important to me.

that_1_grrrl

This sounds interesting. I rarely flat iron, but if I am understanding correctly, this is just heat protecting system? It basically protects your hair from heat from start to finish?

I am going to see if I can find a video of the process.

Stormy

Wow DSD! Well I know where I'm coming when I'm ready to get my hair straightened! Thanks for providing the info. One of my clients was just telling me yesterday how she loves the Mizani Thermasmooth.

pmichael52172

The stylist told me she charges $70. I don't know the retail cost though. One online supply store has the whole 4 step system for $78. I hate to say this but I'm a do it yourselfer and once I watch her do it a couple of times, I can probably see myself purchasing and doing it on my own!

Charz

Sinister Minister
The stylist told me she charges $70. I don't know the retail cost though. One online supply store has the whole 4 step system for $78. I hate to say this but I'm a do it yourselfer and once I watch her do it a couple of times, I can probably see myself purchasing and doing it on my own!

Shoot, maybe they have youtube tutorials?

Ok. As a stylist who used the thermasmooth on a regular basis. I can give you a little insight.

For BoingBoing, it's a set of shampoo, conditioner, styling serum and shine spray that helps keep natural hair from reverting so quickly when it is styled straight. It doesn't have anything in it that will make your curls stay straight permanently.

Thermasmooth does not change your curl pattern. It is just styling products applied to the hair to make it more manageable and it does a great job.

You can go about 2 weeks in between getting your hair straightened by using the Mizani. They are really good product for naturals and even transitioners. When I use it on my clients hair it is almost always still straight when they return for the next shampoo and press.

The only thing that would make your curl pattern not return to normal is heat damage. Since the stylist that you consulted with does a lot of natural presses she is more than likely familiar with using the proper tools and techniques to keep your natural curl pattern in tact. At least I hope so.

You will get fabulous results with the thermasmooth. It really is a great set of products.

Wow!! I've been eyeing this stuff for a while!! DSD--is it necessary to use everything in the line in order to get great results. I mean, do I need to use the shampoo +conditioner+ the serum or can I just use some of the stuff? I think you might've already answered my question when you said that it is a system.

I'm gonna check out your album!

pmichael52172

Im wowed! Must it be reapplied every time you wash? Meaning $78 every two weeks ?

I think so :ohwell:. I do want that temporary straightness because I want to be able to go textured or curly off and on. If you want it to stay straight try the Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT). There are LOTS of threads on it.

I usually spend about $60 every two weeks so I'm not moved by the price. However, if you buy the stuff yourself for around that same price, you can do it as often as you want. Comes out much cheaper!

Diva_Esq

Thanks so much for that THOROUGH explanation! So, is this a product that could help with my roller sets (to keep them from reverting and to keep the new growth straight)?

ceebee3

Do you have to blow dry or can you rollerset? I'm thinking that you just add the products to your hair, then dry it shouldn't make a difference right?

Thanks

brownbean96

pmichael52172

Talk about a coincidence. Toyagurl just posted the Thermasmooth shampoo and conditioner on the "Hated it, Dump your products on me" Thread for free. I just paid $4 shipping and the bottles are half full! Now all I need are steps #3 and #4 (the serum and spray). I'm still going to let the stylist do it but once I'm comfortable with it and watch her, I'm going to do it myself.

seraphim712

Just curious, could I use this product right after I henna my hair? Basically using the shampoo to wash the henna out then following with the rest of the procedure. Or will it cause the henna to wash out as well? The Mizani Thermasilk has been used on my hair several times when I go to Salon Balisi and I will say that I absolutely love it! It does wonders for my natural hair. You can view pics in my fotki for anyone that's curious to see the results.

danysedai

I'm not natural but I've used it to soften my new growth and it works very well! I've only used steps 3 and 4 (the serums) but I'm going to buy the shampoo and conditioner too. I have pictures in a thread but IMO it looked a bit greasy and lacked movement (I used too much) but I've used it after that with just a little serum and it works very well, I also love the smell of the products. I want to see if I can stretch for another month so I'll probably use the whole line.
There was somebody here that said that maybe it is in the shampoo and conditioner because if you read the instructions for the different textures of hair the only thing that changes is the time you leave the shampoo and conditioner in.

bluediamond0829

I have used the Thermasmooth system at home. I purchased it from Ultra and also Tradesecret had some of the products also. I havent used it in a minute but have worn my hair straight. The only product that I do not like the spritz, because i dont like the alcohol in it.

kinkylyfe

I did a consult with stylist yesterday. In a nutshell.... I think I like her. Anyway, I told her all of my goals, priorities, preferences, likes, dislikes, expectations.... (I know... I'm anal).

I told her I wanted someone that could do a good press and curl for silk scarf/hat season. She highly suggested the Mizani Thermasmooth system and whipped out some before and after pics of her naturals that had them done.

She told me that it would give me silky pressed results (without hot combing) and would NOT change my curl pattern. I made her promise me that because I told her I did want to switch up some weeks and wear textured styles (which is why I don't BKT). She promised. She also said that I wouldn't need to come every week, I could come every other. I've seen the results in Dontspeakdefeat's Fotki :)lick:) but just want other personal accounts.

My main question is, will the curl pattern stay the same if I do this system say.... during the winter months?

Just wondering if you have tried the Mizani thermosmooth system yet? If so, please post pic. Are you in the NJ/NY area? I'm looking for a stylist who can adequately treat NATURAL hair with straight styles---I'm tired of hair dressers stating " you need a relaxer"! TIA