Joico & ThermaSmooth (pics)- Love it!

NOLA2NY

Ok... so in September I went to a salon and got a consult as to how I can get my hair straight w/ no frizz and no damage. I was advised I could use one of two methods Thermo smooth or BKT (was told my curl pattern would change slightly). Was told to try Thermasmooth first so I made an appointment and went back and got my hair straightened w/ thermasmooth...it was great and I was happy. After this I went to ultra and bought the 4 step system. I didn't want to pay $90 +tip for a week of length anytime soon.... My last relaxer was Sept 2007!

Last week I wanted my hair straight (especially since the cooler weather is making co-washing in the AM difficult). So I devised a plan. I wanted to make sure my hair was protected and strong before getting near any heat so I washed my hair with Joico Kpak shampoo then used the K-pak Reconstructor. Then shampooed with ThermaSmooth shampoo (once) followed by the TS conditioner, I left it in my hair for about 30 mins. Went to the local Dominican salon and had them rinse the conditioner out and then blow it using the TS Smooth Guard Smoothing Serum. It came out so well I didn't have to use step #4 (TS Shine extend anti humidity Spritz). The stylist, the salon owner and 2 other customers asked me the name of the product because they wanted to purchase it. I didn't put any other products in my hair. Here are my results! Oh by the way it only cost me $20 and that included the tip!!

Attachments

• TS1.jpg
    TS1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 270
  • TS2.jpg
    TS2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 230
  • TS3.jpg
    TS3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 258
Thanks! I just got the serum and spray. Haven't tried them yet. Did you buy the poo and con too?

Gotta love that Thermasmooth!

I'm going to re-up on me a liter of each this weekend, it's a staple for me, even when i'm rollersetting.

The Shampoo and Conditioner are the main staples of this system IMO.

The serum and spray got returned, without the first 2 steps, they are nothing.

Gotta love that Thermasmooth!

I'm going to re-up on me a liter of each this weekend, it's a staple for me, even when i'm rollersetting.

The Shampoo and Conditioner are the main staples of this system IMO.

The serum and spray got returned, without the first 2 steps, they are nothing.

Ok, I will buy the poo and con. I got the serum and spray free, so I don't mind paying for the 1st 2 steps. So how do you use them to rollerset? I keep trying to fit a roller setting attempt into my schedule!

Last edited:
Thanks! I just got the serum and spray. Haven't tried them yet. Did you buy the poo and con too?

Yes I used the poo, con and serum, I bought the spritz also but didn't use it. The stylist who initially told me about the system and subsequently did my hair the first time was trained by Mizani and he STRESSED that it was important to use the poo and cond b/c they all work together. I know some people only use the serum but I really like them all. My least favorite is the spritz.

Yeah the spritz is not needed IMO. But I only used it once and maybe it just didn't work for MY hair or maybe I used too much. Someone with thicker hair or hair that is resistant to straightening my have good results with it.

I use the shampoo, DC with the conditioner for 5-10 mins, rinse apply my leave ins, serum (Redken Smooth Down) then rollerset.

silky.luscious.curls.every.time.

As a matter of fact, on Saturday I washed and conditioned my hair with regular Mizani, and began rollersetting, and couldn't figure out why my hair was not cooperating like normal, it was harder to detangle and not as soft. I jumped back in the shower used the Thermasmooth shampoo, Conditioned for like 5 minutes and rinsed.......BUTTA BABY. My rollerset was smooth sailing. It works extremely well when you are in the high number of weeks post relaxer.

I'm going to repurchase the serum and this time really pay attention to if it works better than any other serum or not.

Yeah, I will have to agree with your stylist, the magic lies in the shampoo and conditoner, they smooth your hair from the start.

I'm sorry I can't say enough about Thermasmooth, I LOVE it~~~

Last edited:
Sounds and looks like a wonderful alternative to chemicals. Do you know what's in the shampoo or conditioner that makes the heat react to it so well? BTW, your hair looks lovely.

Sounds and looks like a wonderful alternative to chemicals. Do you know what's in the shampoo or conditioner that makes the heat react to it so well? BTW, your hair looks lovely.

Thanks Stella,

I'm no ingredient guru but this is what I got off their website... When I get home I can give you more info from the packaging.

THERMASMOOTH is MIZANI’s Salon-Exclusive Synergistic Smoothing System designed to smooth, treat and protect hair throughout its 4 step process.

The four steps in the Thermasmooth system are:

STEP 1: THERMASMOOTH SHAMPOO

A creamy, conditioning shampoo that thoroughly cleanses the hair in preparation for the smoothing process. The advance C3 smoothing Complex deposits pure, nourishing coconut oil to help moisturize and detangle dry and brittle hair.

STEP 2: THERMASMOOTH CONDITIONER

A luxurious, cream conditioner that softens and smoothes the hair cuticle for optimal manageability and shine prior to thermal styling. The advance C3 Smoothing Complex reinforces with inner celluar fortifying ceramide to help preserve elasticity and protect hair from thermal styling damage.

STEP 3: THERMASMOOTH SMOOTH GUARD SMOOTHING SERUM

Lightweight, leave-in thermal protecting serum buffers against heat styling damage and facilitates the use of heat tools by providing extra glide for easier manageability. The advance C3 Smoothing Complex with cationic polymers to is designed shield and polish while hair is being smoothed.

STEP 4: THERMASMOOTH SHINE EXTEND ANTI-HUMIDITY SPRITZ

High shine finishing spritz polishes and locks in shine while lightly shielding the hair to resist humidity. Formulated with an easy comb, light hold to help retain style memory.

TECHNOLOGY

THE EXCLUSIVE C3 SMOOTHING COMPLEX FOUND IN EACH STEP OF THE THERMASMOOTH THERMAL STRAIGHTENING SYSTEM OFFERS STRENGTHENING REINFORCEMENT, WEIGHTLESS PROTECTION, AND HUMIDITY RESISTANCE.

ThermaSmoothMolecule.gif
EXCLUSIVE
C3 SMOOTHING COMPLEXCOCONUT OIL infuse pure nourishmentCERAMIDE reinforce & strengthenCATIONIC POLYMERS help repel humidity

COCONUT OIL
Infuses pure nourishment and moisture into the hair.
BENEFIT: Moisturized hair helps to guard against
breakage from mechanical damage resulting from the hair smoothing process.

CERAMIDE
Penetrates the hair at an inner celluar level to reinforce and strengthen the hair to withstand thermal styling.
BENEFIT: Cuticle layer protection preserves hair elasticity which allows the hair to bounce back to its normal texture.

CATIONIC POLYMERS
Coats the outer layer of the hair to help shield and repel against humidity.
BENEFIT: Locks in shine awhile lightly shielding hair to resist humidity for longer-lasting frizz-free style.

Thermasmooth Conditioning Shampoo Ingredients:
Aqua/Water. Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium cocamphodiacetate, hexylene, glycol distearate, glycerin, cocamide mipa, parfum/fragrance, polyquaternium-10, carbomer, disodium edta, methylparaben, dmdm hydantoin, cocos nucifera/coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, hexyl cinamal, limonene, butylphenyl methlypropional, hydrolyzed wheat protein, isopropanolamine, benzyl salicylate, 2-oleamido-1, 2-octdecanediol.

Thermasmooth Strengthening Conditioner Ingredients:
Aqua/water, cetearyl alcohol, behentrimonium methosulfate, amodimethicone, parfum/fragrance, polyquaternium-10, methylparaben, cocos nucifera/cocomut oil, trideceth-12, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, chlorhexidine dihydrochloride, butylphenyl methylpropional, hyddrolized wheat protein, benzyl salicylate, cetrimonium chloride, 2-oleamido-1, 3-octade-canediol.

Can this be used along with bkt?

I don't think so because the Conditioning Shampoo has Sodium Laureth Sulfate, with BKT you cannot use products with sodium. I think it's made as an alternative to BKT. For individuals who want to stay away from the formaldehyde and all.

Last edited:
Your hair look beautiful and you've gotten great growth in 2 yrs!

Thanks! I am so happy to be completely natural. I didn't BC I just trimmed gradually. I think the key to my growth has been proper moisture/protein balance. Co-washing during the summer was great and I wear a bun daily. Protective styling is the key....

Wow, your hair looks beautiful, and the roots are silky smooth.

I've been hearing a lot about Thermasmooth lately...I might have to give it a try.

Lovely hair!!!! I also tried this last night. So far I loving the results. How much of the serum was used on each section?

Lovely hair!!!! I also tried this last night. So far I loving the results. How much of the serum was used on each section?

Thanks!

Approx. two pumps per section. But before she began blowing my hair I had the stylist put some serum in her palms and concentrate on my ends and around my nape and edges.

Back