Any experts in weave hair? Remy, yaki, synthetic est? I have some questions

fluffylocks

1. Is Remy hair always suppoed to be virgin & have its cuticle?

2. What is wrong with BSS hair? Everyone always talks about how they are horrible and they buy their hair from online....whats wrong with BSS hair?

3. Which hair is more tangly? Hair with a cuticle, or hairwithout?

4. What makes Remy hair so much better than Non-Remy?

5. Are you supposed to treat human hair just like you treat your own hair so that it can last long?

And these things i just want to make sure i have right:

1. Yaki hair is non-remi human hair that is proccesed to look like relaxed black hair.

2. You can do anything to human hair that you can do to your own---color, curl, relax, use heat est.

3. Human hair is not artificilly dyed and it comes in its true texture (curly, straight, wavy, ect.)

4. Synthetic hair is the one that comes in dyed colors and permenent textures that dont change like ---wavy, straight est.

5. Most synthetic hair fibers are made of kanekalon or toyokalon.

6. Single drawn hair is loose/bulk hair that has different lengths in it (are the lengths divided?)

7. Double dran hair is the same, but all of the lengths are the same

(What is the purpose or why does it matter to want single versus double drawn hair?)

glamazon386

1. Is Remy hair always suppoed to be virgin & have its cuticle? Yes to both. That's what makes it remy hair.

2. What is wrong with BSS hair? Everyone always talks about how they are horrible and they buy their hair from online....whats wrong with BSS hair? There isn't neccessarily something wrong with it, it's just that BSS hair is not the best quality out there. The hair has been processed (it's no longer virgin) and there is filler hair mixed in. Also, it doesn't have it's cuticle anymore which makes it tangle more. And it sheds more. Quite honestly. I use BSS hair the majority of the time for my weaves unless I'm doing a curly or wavy weave. It doesn't really bother me to use BSS Straight hair. Some brands are better than others. And I only usually wear the style for about a month, maybe 5 or 6 weeks and then I take it out and throw it out so it's no biggie. I usually get a new style every time I get a weave. If I was going to be wearing the same style for an extended period of time then I probably would invest in some Remi hair and just reuse it.

3. Which hair is more tangly? Hair with a cuticle, or hairwithout? Hair without the cuticle tangles more.

4. What makes Remy hair so much better than Non-Remy? Because it is virgin hair that has not had the cuticle removed and hasn't been processed. If you get single drawn remy, essentially you are getting the hair that came off one person's (the donor) head overseas somewhere. All they did was take it and sew it to a weft for you. If I'm not mistaken Double Drawn means it comes from more than one donor.

5. Are you supposed to treat human hair just like you treat your own hair so that it can last long? Yes! You wouldn't abuse your own hair right? Treat the weave hair like your own. Weave hair can be damaged too. The better you treat the hair, the longer it will last.

1. Yaki hair is non-remi human hair that is proccesed to look like relaxed black hair. Yaki hair is just the name for straight hair weave. It doesn't have to look like relaxed hair. The filler hair is Yak (the animal) hair, so that's why they named it "Yaki". But there are other straight weave hairs that have different names. That's just the name of the style of hair. I've also seen Silky Straight, Euro Straight, etc. which are also straight hair.

2. You can do anything to human hair that you can do to your own---color, curl, relax, use heat est. Yes you can but you'll have better results relaxing and coloring better quality hair. The BSS hair may not hold up to all of that because it has been processed once. Now coloring or relaxing it will make it a double process. And we all know what happens when our own hair gets double processed. It can lead to damage. The hair may become dry, tangly and unruly. Also you don't know how the filler hair will react to those processes.

3. Human hair is not artificilly dyed and it comes in its true texture (curly, straight, wavy, ect.) Only Virgin Remy hair comes like that. Human hair in the BSS can be processed and made into any texture, style or color.

4. Synthetic hair is the one that comes in dyed colors and permenent textures that dont change like ---wavy, straight est. Synthetic hair can come in any style, texture, length or color.

5. Most synthetic hair fibers are made of kanekalon or toyokalon. If it is made out of one of those two types, it will specifically say that on the package. Regular synthetic hair will say just synthetic.

6. Single drawn hair is loose/bulk hair that has different lengths in it (are the lengths divided?) No. Single drawn means it comes from one donor. If that persons hair was different lengths, than you can get different lengths on one weft. But not necessarily. And Bulk hair means braiding hair that will be used for braids. Not hair on a weft or wefted hair which is hair used for weaves.

7. Double dran hair is the same, but all of the lengths are the same No. Double Drawn just means that it came from more than one donor. They cut it so that it's all the same length.

(What is the purpose or why does it matter to want single versus double drawn hair?) Single drawn hair will be more uniform because it came from one head. And therefore all the hairs should behave the same. More than likely that won't be the case with the double drawn because it came from one that one place/donor. But they will cut it so that it's all the same length. It will look better.

Last edited:

jeanne516

1. Is Remy hair always suppoed to be virgin & have its cuticle?
Yes, its supposed to have a cuticle if its remy hair

2. What is wrong with BSS hair? Everyone always talks about how they are horrible and they buy their hair from online....whats wrong with BSS hair?
Well nothing is particularly wrong w/ BSS hair...if you're gfetting a weave to last like 2 weeks or something (simply for style), then by all means, use the BSS hair. But if you have intentions of wearing a weave for months at a time (like what i'm doing for protective/stretching reasons), i would recommend purchasing remi hair online, but i notice some stores are beginning to carry it (never tried the one from the store)...the reason i say this is because it wont tangle, no matter how long you keep it in, you can wash it as much as you want, and its definitely reuseable (which makes it more economic in the long run)..

It depends...I read somewher that hair can hair without a cutlicle is usually more tangly, because they usually lay the hair in whatever direction they want, then strip the cuticles off (to prevent initial tangling), and then add a layer of silicone to it, so that it could stay untangled for a while...but when you get to start combing, brushing and curling the weave, that layer of silicone is usually stripped from the hair, causing it to tangle more readily...thats why no matter how long you may have that BSS hair in the package, it will never tangle, until after you wear it.

Like i stated in my second answer, it doesnt tangle (because the cuticles are in tact, and the hair is being laid in the right direction), and it rarely sheds, therefore allowing you to wear the hair as along as you want, you can wash it as many times as you want, and also re-use it too.

5. Are you supposed to treat human hair just like you treat your own hair so that it can last long?
Yes, thats exactly what i do...i dont do anything extra to my remy hair, as i would do with regular BSS...I usually just was, deep condition, add leave-in, and airdry, n either wear it wavy (like a braidout look, or put it in a bun)

1. Yaki hair is non-remi human hair that is proccesed to look like relaxed black hair.
Yes

2. You can do anything to human hair that you can do to your own---color, curl, relax, use heat est.
Yes

3. Human hair is not artificilly dyed and it comes in its true texture (curly, straight, wavy, ect.)
Not true...most BSS types of hair usually go through many different chemical processes to get its desired look (whether its straightening, colorring, curly perming, ect.)...But with most remy hair, the most that would usually be done to it is artificial coloring and sometimes other things like straightening, but you usually have the choice as to whether or not you would want that...the good thing is, that the natural hair without all the other chemical processes is usually cheaper to buy...

4. Synthetic hair is the one that comes in dyed colors and permenent textures that dont change like ---wavy, straight est.
I'm not sure how to answer that question, but like I said earlier, human hair can come in dyed colors also

True

6. Single drawn hair is loose/bulk hair that has different lengths in it (are the lengths divided?)
I'm not really sure about these last two answers...lol, but I'll definitely research those answers for you

7. Double drawn hair is the same, but all of the lengths are the same

(What is the purpose or why does it matter to want single versus double drawn hair?)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

glamazon386

It depends...I read somewher that hair can hair without a cutlicle is usually more tangly, because they usually lay the hair in whatever direction they want, then strip the cuticles off (to prevent initial tangling), and then add a layer of silicone to it, so that it could stay untangled for a while...but when you get to start combing, brushing and curling the weave, that layer of silicone is usually stripped from the hair, causing it to tangle more readily...thats why no matter how long you may have that BSS hair in the package, it will never tangle, until after you wear it.

I forgot about this. Jeanne is right. The BSS hair usually has a coating on top of it. That's why sometimes when you first get it, it won't hold a curl (with the straight hair) or you have to turn the iron up real high or use some type of product on it. The coating usually goes away after the first wash and that's when the tangling starts or you get that "Weave Poof". I never have tangles until I wash a weave.

tenjoy

once you have cuticle hair you will never go back to the other stuff. But be careful, everyone who claim they have cuticle aint always honest. I like Lugo's in New York. u sit, they match your color and weft it however thin/thick you like. Charge by the oz or lb, something like that. I wouldnt buy online, cause u never know.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I forgot about this. Jeanne is right. The BSS hair usually has a coating on top of it. That's why sometimes when you first get it, it won't hold a curl (with the straight hair) or you have to turn the iron up real high or use some type of product on it. The coating usually goes away after the first wash and that's when the tangling starts or you get that "Weave Poof". I never have tangles until I wash a weave.

Just adding a tip. After you wash a BSS weave, make sure to moisturize the weave and also add a silicone based serum. The added silicone coating cuts down on tangles and the infamous "weave poof"

tenjoy

if you want some serious stuff, You can actually buy it from the donor, watch them cut it and get it wefted. This will run you $$$$.

You bid on ebay for the persons hair, craiglist or find a agency that does this.

fluffylocks

Thanks SOOOOOO much yall!!!!! Thanks alot Bmore & Jeanne for answring my list:cupidarrow::grouphug: I didnt know there was so much to know about weaves, im trying to learn as much about hair in all areas & am about to start learning how to do my own weaves as a protective style.
I thought just about everyone on LHCF wore their hair out all of the time.

fluffylocks

if you want some serious stuff, You can actually buy it from the donor, watch them cut it and get it wefted. This will run you $$$$.

You bid on ebay for the persons hair, craiglist or find a agency that does this.

Oh shoot, i've never heard of that before. WOW.

That place sounds nice in Newyork---this is some serious stuff here. I just used to go in the store & pick out whatever :nono:

fluffylocks

Just adding a tip. After you wash a BSS weave, make sure to moisturize the weave and also add a silicone based serum. The added silicone coating cuts down on tangles and the infamous "weave poof"

Great tip.

I got some weave poofs too but never understood it. A couple of times in the summer i got cornorws so i could wash/rinse my hair & not have to manipluate it....poofed right on up :nono:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
1. Is Remy hair always suppoed to be virgin & have its cuticle? yes

With remy hair, the cuticles are all arranged in the same direction. This ensures that all of the hair will be "tangle-free". With BSS hair, the hair comes from different donors. It's pretty much left over hair that has been collected. The cuticles on BSS hair are not aligned at all. Most BSS hair is treated w/ chemicals that dissolve/smooth the cuticle, and then coated w/ a silicone base. I still use BSS hair, I change styles alot so I would rather go cheap w/ the weave. I love BSS hair!
BSS hair by far...but I've had remy hair tangle on me really bad!
the cuticle allignment (see#2)
5. Are you supposed to treat human hair just like you treat your own hair so that it can last long? Yes!

1. Yaki hair is non-remi human hair that is proccesed to look like relaxed black hair. Correct!

2. You can do anything to human hair that you can do to your own---color, curl, relax, use heat est. Correct...although the curls may not hold as well.

3. Human hair is not artificilly dyed and it comes in its true texture (curly, straight, wavy, ect.) If its remy hair... BSS hair is almost always processed

4. Synthetic hair is the one that comes in dyed colors and permenent textures that dont change like ---wavy, straight est. It's manufactured into different colors. It's pretty much plastic.

Yes

6. Single drawn hair is loose/bulk hair that has different lengths in it (are the lengths divided?) yes, it's basically the first batch from the donor shaved directly from the donor which is why it's uneven

7. Double drawn hair is the same, but all of the lengths are the same
yep. but the donation is arranged a little and cut on both ends to make it even
Single drawn looks more natural and it's cheaper. Double drawn looks way thicker when installed and will be more expensive to purchase.

fluffylocks

Single drawn looks more natural and it's cheaper. Double drawn looks way thicker when installed and will be more expensive to purchase.

THANKS QTSLIM!!! (ETA---this has really really helped me understand :yep: Thanks)

What BSS brands do you ( or anybody else) like? ---I dont have money for that other stuff :sad:

I was reading Milky way is about the worst, and Black Diamons was a really good brand. and Outre.

motherx2esq

I use BSS hair (Velvet Remi) and it does not tangle at all. I keep it in at least 4 weeks and it does better than my own hair at times. IMO

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
THANKS QTSLIM!!! (ETA---this has really really helped me understand :yep: Thanks)

What BSS brands do you ( or anybody else) like? ---I dont have money for that other stuff :sad:

I was reading Milky way is about the worst, and Black Diamons was a really good brand. and Outre.

ITA w/ Milky Way being the worst! Sensationnel and Outre and really good BSS brands. I use a brand called Hair Topic, it blends w/ my texture great.

tenjoy

AtlantaJJ

once you have cuticle hair you will never go back to the other stuff. But be careful, everyone who claim they have cuticle aint always honest. I like Lugo's in New York. u sit, they match your color and weft it however thin/thick you like. Charge by the oz or lb, something like that. I wouldnt buy online, cause u never know.
I swear when I go back to New York, I'm going to Lugos and buying 2 lbs or hair! LOL they have the BEST hair!! I don't know where they get it but their soft wavy bulk makes the most beautiful ringlets, and NO tangles!!

glamazon386

Yeah I know. I usually flat iron with this anti frizz creme I have and a serum on the rare occasion that I wear straight hair. It drives me batty after a week or two since I'm not used to it anymore. But even that still won't totally eliminate weave poof. After that all you can do is keep a paddle brush or comb on hand.

glamazon386

I had that backwards. Here's a good FAQ I found on goddessofhair.com, It pretty much answers all the OP's questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are hair extensions?

Hair Extensions is the term used when you fuse, lock, weave, braid or bond human or synthetic hair to your own. Hair Extensions are considered semi-permanent, as opposed to say a wig, which you can take off at night. Clip-in extensions can be taken off at night, but are still considered extensions.

A Lot of Sites Say 100% Human Hair, and Virgin Remi, What does all this Mean?

Human hair is the most often sought out, because it looks the most natural, however not all human hair is the same. There is very cheap, non-cuticle hair that will dry out after one wash and is a relative waste of money. This hair is typicall Chinese and may say 'Remy" on the pack, but will be a non-cuticle hair drayed with a silicon that will tangle after 3-4 washes.There are so many other companies on the internet claiming ‘virgin’ hair for many hundreds of dollars, when what they really have is nice quality European hair that has been dyed and processed, therefore not virgin. True virgin hair has never been dyed or chemically altered, so you can only get it in the shades it comes in-for Virgin Russian hair, mostly medium browns-which doesn’t make it very viable to sell online unless you buy in bulk. The hair is virgin and is either single drawn or double drawn. Single drawn hair is cheaper, but has the normal look of breakage and shorter hairs, double drawn means every single hair in your bundle is exactly the same length, and looks healthier and glossier. It’s also much more expensive. Remi or cuticle hair means that the healthy covering of the hair shaft hasn’t been stripped to bleach and dye the hair in a cheaper way, which lengthens the life and reusability of the hair to a year or more.

At Goddess Hair, we recommend Indian cuticle hair (Our 'Deira™ line) of Indian and Chinese double drawn Indian or Chinese Remi because we work directly with our own manufacturer and are very specific about the quality we get. We are experts in the extensions field, and have thousands of clients because of our insistence to receiving quality hair.

What is the Difference Between Hand-Tied, Bulk and Weft Hair?

A weft of hair is hair that is folded and sewn for easy application in weaving and other track applications like braided tracks, bonded tracks or taped tracks. The hair can also be cut from the weft into smaller pieces for custom tracks or tiny pieces (20 hairs or less) and tipped with a hot adhesive like keratin for a strand by strand method like fusion or locs. Hand-tied hair means the sewn seam is very tiny and looks better on people with thinner hair. Bulk hair has the look of a cut ponytail, and has to be handled carefully so that the hair lengths stay even.

How are extensions applied?

Fusion (Strand by Strand)- This is a process done strand by strand in even rows (if done properly) leaving a generous perimeter, so bonds don’t show. Using a variety of adhesives and heating elements (like fusion irons made for hair extensions), extension hair is added directly to your own hair. Hair can be bought already cut, weft removed and pre tipped with adhesive. This is approximately 3 times the cost of buying the hair in bulk or on the weft, and is usually tipped in a keratin substance we don’t recommend fusing with due to difficulty in removal. Your own hair must lie over the very top of the bonds for a natural look. Fusion is ideal for those with thin hair or hair on the drier side. Goddess Locs (Strand by Strand) are similar to Fusion. Locs are applied in even rows leaving a generous perimeter, although locs aren’t as invisible as fusion, so more hair may need to be left out to cover. Using the Goddess Loc Loader, hair is looped through and into the loc. Use the color of loc that matches the hair root color the closest..

Weaving - This is a process in which you create a corn row or track around the head and close to the scalp. Extension hair in hand tied wefts or regular wefts are sewn on the braids. Your own hair lays over the tracks for a natural look. (click here for supplies)

Hair Taping - This is the hottest new hair extension on the market! You simply pin up your hair in several sections, peel and add the desired length of wefted or hand tied hair to the proflex tape, press firmly, and pull down your own hair to secure. Easy to do yourself. It lasts for several days to a month, and is excellent for weddings, Vegas trips, or a fun night out.

What What Color Do I Choose For My Hair? Can I See a Color Chart?

Internet Colors are very inaccurate, but if you are in a hurry, go to your local wig supply and ask to see a color ring. We will do our best to match it. When choosing a color to match your own hair, choose a color that matches your hair from the middle to the ends. Never buy hair the color at your roots as that is always darker. The blending of your hair on the bottom part is the most important, but you can also do color blending with several shades. We sell color rings in both Bohyme and our hair replacement systems so you can get an exact match. Bohyme hair comes in many beautiful shades to choose from.

How much hair do I need?
Ladies with thin to medium hair wear ¼ pound, or one bag. However, you may need more than 1/4 pound if:

1)Your hair is thick
2)You have heavy layers or a 'bob' cut
3)You are wearing 22" length or longer

Because hair comes by the ¼ pound, when you order longer hair, you get more hair in length than in the thickness so you will more than ¼ pound to make it thicker.

Last edited:

jeanne516

Just wanted to add that, what i love most about my weave is that when i wear it out, i dont have to touch it for the entire day...u know, the biggest determining factor as to whether or not a person has a weave is how often they comb/brush it...lol...i dont even leave my house with one....

BTW Bmoreflyygirl, what brand of hair do you use?

glamazon386

Just wanted to add that, what i love most about my weave is that when i wear it out, i dont have to touch it for the entire day...u know, the biggest determining factor as to whether or not a person has a weave is how often they comb/brush it...lol...i dont even leave my house with one....

BTW Bmoreflyygirl, what brand of hair do you use?

Pretty Much whatever. I'm known to buy hair out the clearance bin. And I will buy synthetic. :look: :lol: I do my own hair so I don't leave the styles in very long. I get tired of it around week 4. Usually take it out around week 5. I just throw the hair out. I've found that DCing the hair does cut down on the tangling and some of the poof problems.

Also, I change the style up every time I get a weave so I haven't invested in Remy hair except for that curly hair that I wear during the summer. Which isn't even Indian Remy. It's Chinese Remy which is a little different. I was looking into the EP Relaxed hair but I'm kinda glad that I didn't buy it. For one, I'm natural now, and two my hair is fine so it wouldn't have matched. I heard that they're supposed to be coming out with fine texture of their relaxed hair though.