Antibiotics and Vitamins

laketta

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled last Thursday. The doctor put me on peicillin. I haven't taken my vitamins since last Wednesday. Is it safe to take my vitamins and the penicillin at the same time or will the penicillin make the vitamins weaker or vice-versa. I don't want to waste my vitamins if it's not going to be effective. Right now I am taking biotin 10-15 mg , 500 mg of l-cystine, 1 gnc ultra nourish hair which has more of this stuff in it.

Kaela

well, if anything, keeping taking your vitamins will help the open holes heal up in your mouth. So if there are nutrients that are needed for your immune system and 'mouth' first, thats where they will go, if that makes sense. I don't know if any penicillin vitamin interactions that makes one or the other less effective. HOWEVER...when I got my four wisdom teeth out, I was miserable and could not keep any food down, let alone vitamins....vitamins like B can nauseate your stomach if you are low on food...which if you feel like I did, you are probably eating soft stuff. I would stick to vitamin C until you can eat more substantial meals to take heavier vitamin doses. Thats just what I would do (did do) in your situation.

laketta

So vitamin C is the key. My vitamin c intake I admit has been pretty low but I will resume my centrum.