Another Go Around with Biotin

Livingmylifetothefullest

So, I tried taking Biotin again but just like the first time, I started breaking out within two days. My forehead looks like crap now. I know a lot of ladies here said drink ample amounts of water (which I do) and take b complex but I wanted to know if I should take "b complex" or "super b complex"? Also what is the recommended dosage for biotin? My bottle says 30mcg.

mEmYSELFaNDj

I started taking Biotin again this week and I have noticed myself breakig out as well. thing is, this never happened to me before when I was taking it, idk whats going on.

LittleLuxe

Lol, I'm kinda nervous now.

I just started taking Biotin a few days ago and I haven't had any breakouts nor am I drinking a ton of water. I am taking it with B-complex but just the regular one.

Out of curiosity, and if you don't want to answer you don't have to, but I am developing a semi-theory. Would you say you are on the thinner side or heavier?

ms.blue

I break out w/ biotin and I was taking it along w/ a stress b-complex b/c of the added vitamin c. I finally gave up on taking anything w/ biotin even though it made my hair grow (all hair, not just the ones on top of my head).

I'm on the heavier side.

LittleLuxe

Ms. Blue are you prone to breakouts?

In any case I had heard about Biotin in high doses being prescribed to people who had diabetes or high blood pressure because of it being able to partially eliminate carbohydrates absorbed (or something like that, I'll have to check again) so I was wondering if someone is already thin and healthy whether biotin would actually begin to deplete their body.

Oh well, looks like my theory didn't pan out lol

supermodelsonya

Take biotin with VITAMIN C!!!!!!!!!

That should get rid of the pimples. Trust me! I was the biotin pusher for a long time! LOL

Once I took 1000mcg of Vitamin C with the biotin, I didn't break out at all. Plus your immune system is going to love you for it!

ms.blue

Ms. Blue are you prone to breakouts?

In any case I had heard about Biotin in high doses being prescribed to people who had diabetes or high blood pressure because of it being able to partially eliminate carbohydrates absorbed (or something like that, I'll have to check again) so I was wondering if someone is already thin and healthy whether biotin would actually begin to deplete their body.

Oh well, looks like my theory didn't pan out lol

I'm prone to breakouts. I have really sensitive skin so anything I eat or put on my face can cause me to breakout.

ms.blue

Take biotin with VITAMIN C!!!!!!!!!

That should get rid of the pimples. Trust me! I was the biotin pusher for a long time! LOL

Once I took 1000mcg of Vitamin C with the biotin, I didn't break out at all. Plus your immune system is going to love you for it!

the stress b- vitamin had a high dosage of vitamin C and at first nothing was happening but I started getting cyst-like bumps all over my face along w/ small acne bumps. So I just decided to stop taking GNC hair skin nails pills & the stress b-vitamins all together.

libertysince05

i take 600mcg of biotin daily with mega vitamin b complex (has 100mcg of biotin), vitamin c and 750mg MSM havent had any breakouts so far.
i started by taking the lower dose and then increased, its possible people are having breakouts because the dosage is too high right at the outset.
( not sure if this is making a difference with my hair but my nails are stronger, and if they dont work on the hair they work elsewhere)

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Good questions. I was wondering which B complex everyone uses with the best results. There are so many different B complex vitamins. There is B100, High potency B complex and some say Super but they're all named as complex on the bottle.

I know the B100 has 100mgs of each ingredient and the others have WAY less and the ingredients are way different.

My B100 says take once daily, yet I take everything else twice a day. So I switched to the lower mg one in order to take it along with each dose.

I would love if someone has an exact name of one with good results, please share.

PuddingPop

I just started taking Biotin about a week ago. I also take Super B complex and vitamin C too. I have no experienced any breakouts and my skin is very oily so i am prone to them.

How long after taking biotin did you start to get breakouts?

How mush Biotin are you guys taking? im taking 5000 mcg/day . Is this too much or too little?

so1913

I started breaking out after taking 5000mcg biotin pills daily :/ I just gave it up, I'm too picky about my skin lol.

CurlyMoo

I was taking 5,000 mcg (5mg) of Biotin, Balanced B-Complex, 1,000 mg of Vitamin C, powder MSM along with various other vitamins. I was also taking large quantities of water too. I noticed my skin looked wonderful; bright, clear and dewy, which was amazing because I've been having some adult acne for the last 5 years.

Then I ran out of Vit. C. A few weeks went by and there was no change in my skin. A week after running out of B-Complex and my skin broke out on both sides of the cheeks and around the nose area.

It must be the B-Complex keeping the zits at bay because Vitamin C does not stay in the body long. So I say take the required dosage of B-Complex. I got a new B-Complex this time a time released Super Complex and after reading the supplemental facts on both bottles the Balance B-Complex actually had higher dosages of the same vitamins.

I also had an Einstein moment and decided to increase my dosage of Biotin without the Vit. C and B-Complex. I started having painful breakouts on my face. I've got all my vitamins again so hopefully I will stop breaking out. My nails are long and strong though. And my hair feels thicker.

My advice concerning the water is to get a LARGE bottle of water like 54 or 64 oz and drink from that all day. I actually add my MSM to that bottle in the morning. I also used that water for tea when at work.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I just switched from my regular B Complex vitamin to Super B complex and added the vitamin C. We'll see what happens. I hope this works.

Ladies, I say wait at least two weeks to say you're clear of any affects on your skin. The reason I say that is because supplements can mess with your hormones to cause an imbalance which causes an overproduction of sebum (hormonal acne). So when you have shifts in your cycle (about every two weeks) that's usually when you would know.

You can think you're clear and then get a goober or two at ovulation or before your cycle.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I was taking 5,000 mcg (5mg) of Biotin, Balanced B-Complex, 1,000 mg of Vitamin C, powder MSM along with various other vitamins. I was also taking large quantities of water too. I noticed my skin looked wonderful; bright, clear and dewy, which was amazing because I've been having some adult acne for the last 5 years.

Then I ran out of Vit. C. A few weeks went by and there was no change in my skin. A week after running out of B-Complex and my skin broke out on both sides of the cheeks and around the nose area.

It must be the B-Complex keeping the zits at bay because Vitamin C does not stay in the body long. So I say take the required dosage of B-Complex. I got a new B-Complex this time a time released Super Complex and after reading the supplemental facts on both bottles the Balance B-Complex actually had higher dosages of the same vitamins.

I also had an Einstein moment and decided to increase my dosage of Biotin without the Vit. C and B-Complex. I started having painful breakouts on my face. I've got all my vitamins again so hopefully I will stop breaking out. My nails are long and strong though. And my hair feels thicker.

My advice concerning the water is to get a LARGE bottle of water like 54 or 64 oz and drink from that all day. I actually add my MSM to that bottle in the morning. I also used that water for tea when at work.

thank you so much for posting this
i paused the biotin because i'm waaaaaay to old for the acne that it caused. I was really like, so i waited for old age to get acne???? ridiculous
I will insert B-complex in my regimen until i rid the biotin

B3e

I think the type of b complex u take depends on the dosage of biotin. If its a high dosage or if you just want to be sure you don't break out, I'd take super b-complex, it usually has added Vitamin C as well I think (I know mine does).

Also, I think taking it @ night rather than in the morning might make a difference for some. I've heard that supplements react differently depending on whether you're awake or not. I need to find where I read that. But I take mine at night with no issues.

This is my second go around with biotin....my first was murder on my face because I didn't take a b-complex. My first time around was with 500mcg also. I wonder if the amount you take is body specific. I broke out with 500mcg but not with 5000mcg. I attribute that to the super b-complex but it really makes me stop and think. Its been one week since I started and still nothing...ill keep my eyes open though. Just because I didn't break out on the first day like last time doesn't mean I won't.

NikkiGirl

Maybe you should take the biotin as a part as a multivitamin. Most people that I have heard are breaking out from Biotin are using Biotin alone. I take Biotin as a part of a multivitamin and don't break out.

LittleLuxe

I wonder if the amount you take is body specific. I broke out with 500mcg but not with 5000mcg.

I wonder the same thing. I had been taking 5000 with a b-complex and not that much water and everything has been going smoothly so far. Not one pimple. I doubled it and will see how it goes.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Maybe you should take the biotin as a part as a multivitamin. Most people that I have heard are breaking out from Biotin are using Biotin alone. I take Biotin as a part of a multivitamin and don't break out.

I was thinking about that too but isn't there a really small amount of Biotin in the multi? I think mine only has about 50mcgs in it.

Artemis

Start out taking a multi and the b complex by itself for a while. Give it a month or two before you start adding more stuff. B complex vs super B complex depends on how much is in your multi. And then your total vitamin B intake will determine how much water to drink.

NikkiGirl

I was thinking about that too but isn't there a really small amount of Biotin in the multi? I think mine only has about 50mcgs in it.

Hey,

I take Futurebiotics Hair, Skin & Nails and it has 1500mcgs. There are definitely vitamins out there with higher amounts you just have to really read labels. Oh and I wanted to say earlier I have had problems in the past with acne. And I don't have any problems with these vitamins. Hope that helps. I get these vits from Vitamin Shoppe. :grin:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hey,

I take Futurebiotics Hair, Skin & Nails and it has 1500mcgs. There are definitely vitamins out there with higher amounts you just have to really read labels. Oh and I wanted to say earlier I have had problems in the past with acne. And I don't have any problems with these vitamins. Hope that helps. I get these vits from Vitamin Shoppe. :grin:

I don't know why I skipped over the hair, skin and nails multis. That makes perfect sense. I always bought everything separate. Thanks for the info!

SouthernBeauty

Thanks for this thread OP! I have been planning on going back to biotin so now I know I need to get some Vitamin C (already have Vitamin B and MSM)!

Livingmylifetothefullest

How long after taking biotin did you start to get breakouts?

Two days

I've tried that. I took Andrew Lessman's Hair, Skin and Nails and my face erupted something fierce. Then I switched to just biotin and started getting breakouts. And finally this time I tried biotin alone for the second time and again the breakouts started coming.

I went and bought the super b complex and I'll just try that.

I really want to keep biotin in because it made a world of a difference in my nails and hair but my face is little bit more important.

islanchile

I started taking biotin a couple of weeks ago and the right side of my face erupted. I followed Wanji's advice (on another thread) and started taking a B complex vitamin with it. The right side eruption is subsiding now and I haven't had any new breakouts.

drappedup

Hmm....odd. I have been taking Biotin for weeks now (second time around for me, 1st time was in September of 2009), and I have no negative side effects. I guess I'm just not prone to break outs and such as far as Biotin goes. I've never really ever had acne problems, though. /shrug

I should also say I am taking Biotin completely by itself.....

soonergirl

I have had no recent issues with acne, the b complex and adding vitamin c each day I feel has really helped.. Years ago the bumps were ridiculous, and caused me to stop taking biotin...

ETA: I slowly increased my level of biotin every two weeks not to shock my system, and I think this helped tremendously as it was a slow increase...

Last edited: