Amla oil

princesmich

Hi everyone, I started using amla oil about 3 months ago, I absolutely love it, it really strengthens the hair, I found some information on it I wanted to share.
"The Amla fruit, also known as the Indian Gooseberry, comes from a small tree that grows throughout India. The fruit is one of the highest natural sources of vitamin C. The Amla fruit yields an extract that has been used for centuries to treat the hair and scalp. It is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier hair growth.
It is an excellent conditioner to use as a hot oil treatment. Use amla oil in shampoos, conditioning rinses, hair pomades and oil treatments. It can also be used in combination with Brahmi oil to strengthen the hair and add body. "

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
I use amla oil on my ends (in a baggie), and my ends looks great! I use brahmi oil sometimes as pre shampoo when I remember. THey both work great!

princesmich

I'm not familiar with brahmi oil, I'm going to the indian grocery store in about a week. do you apply it to your scalp, how does it smell?

Kurlee

Qhemet Biologics makes a good amla oil without the minreal oil and strong smell. its pricey though, but i like it!

LaNecia

I have the Brahmi oil as well but haven't used that too much, I can't find it locally and have to order it online so I probably won't use it too often. As for the Amla, I love it (Dabur Amla)!! Use it as a prepoo (when the BF isn't around, he hates the smell) and also as a daily oil.

Candy_C

I LOVE AMLA* OIL! (*DABUR). makes my hair very non-pourous, strengthens it and makes it dark! i love dark hair and i naturally have gingery, brown hair, but now its chestnut all the way 2 the ends. i haven't trimmed in 10 months and my ends r thick and very strong. Amla is best used as a pre-poo and left on OVERNIGHT not point leaving it on for a few hours...plus, if i wanna trim, seen as i'm a no blowdryer flat ironer, i use amla overnight and its straightens my strands to a certain extent and the splits stick out so i can jus snip.

LaNecia

hopeg80 said:
I saw this oil in a BSS this week. What is so bad about the smell?

I don't think it smells bad per se, the scent is just very strong (IMO). My Sweetie just doesn't like it whereas I don't mind it at all.

dlewis

I have just finished my bottle of Dubar amla oil, the smell IMO is awful but my son and hubby likes it. It made my hair feel great. I don't plan to buy anymore soon, I trying to use what I have up, and then restock up on things that I really like.

I do use the Amla powder that I bought from www.fromnaturewithlove.com, I make a tea with it and pour it over my hair.

melodee

Dabur amla is stinky. It smells like a petroleum spill when you first use it and later it smells like pee. The last time I used it as an overnight prepoo, my hubby asked me if our son snuck in our bed and had an accident.

I do like alma, but I can't do that Dabur stuff. The heavy mineral oil is too much for my scalp.

I tried the Qhumet product and it didn't work for my fine texlaxed hair. It is best for naturals. But it had a nice texture, smelled nice, and had a natural base.

BrownBetty

Candy_C said:
I LOVE AMLA* OIL! (*DABUR). makes my hair very non-pourous, strengthens it and makes it dark! i love dark hair and i naturally have gingery, brown hair, but now its chestnut all the way 2 the ends. i haven't trimmed in 10 months and my ends r thick and very strong. Amla is best used as a pre-poo and left on OVERNIGHT not point leaving it on for a few hours...plus, if i wanna trim, seen as i'm a no blowdryer flat ironer, i use amla overnight and its straightens my strands to a certain extent and the splits stick out so i can jus snip.

When you use it as a pre poo is your hair wet?

MsCounsel

hopeg80 said:
I saw this oil in a BSS this week. What is so bad about the smell?

I just started using it. The smell is a bit nauseating but I like the results, and it seems to relax some of the curl in my hair. The smell is quite strong initially, then it smells like a strong older lady perfume. :lol:

Healthb4Length

Okay I just checked out Qhemet biologics and their products with alma oils look really good. Has N E 1 ever used them and how did they work out for y'all? BTW the price is a little much so let me know what y'all think.

Tamsin2005

I purchased the Amla oil Nourishing Pomade from Qhemet Biologics and I find it to be almost too "sticky" for my relaxed hair. I have to use it on my scalp only and very sparingly even then. It's too sticky to use on my hair. I have tried to use it to slick down my edges (and hoping it will help with the gray). The smell isn't too bad but I may eventually try the alma in a more liquid form. Here are the ingredients: Vegetable thickener (which may be the problem for me...), Amla oil, sesame oil, vitamin e..

Healthb4Length

Tamsin2005 said:
I purchased the Amla oil Nourishing Pomade from Qhemet Biologics and I find it to be almost too "sticky" for my relaxed hair. I have to use it on my scalp only and very sparingly even then. It's too sticky to use on my hair. I have tried to use it to slick down my edges (and hoping it will help with the gray). The smell isn't too bad but I may eventually try the alma in a more liquid form. Here are the ingredients: Vegetable thickener (which may be the problem for me...), Amla oil, sesame oil, vitamin e..

Okay thanks for the review!

Kurlee

I love The Qhemet Biologics Amla. Very Moisturizing, light smell and good for pressing and natural styling. I'm not too sure how it works on relaxed hair but, i love it on m natural hair. The only thing that sucks is its really small.