ALOPECIA...FRUSTRATED... HELP

camosil

I am frustrated right now. I have according to the dermatologist follicular degeneration. I have had this for a couple years now and it is becoming frustrating . I stopped going to the doc about a year now and Iwas doing fine. But since I changed to the stronger phytospecific relaxer my scalp is feeling irritated and is itching, not sure if it is the relaxer. The doc said my scalp looks irritated but my hairdresser says it does not look so.He says it is hard to get rid of it unless I go natural. My hairdresser and I said that we would go back to the milder strength and see what happens.
I was so frustrated with that plus the fact that my hair has been breaking lately, i think it is the new moisturizer, I stopped using it. But I was so frustrated that I just walked into the nearest salon and told them I want a hair cut. The hairdresser was nice, she said all I need is some shaping not a drastic cut and she gave me a nice bob cut.
I feel better about my hair but I still think there is a way to get rid of the inflamed hair follicles.
Is there anyone out there who is or has gone through this problem. I refuse to give up. There must be something out there.
Please give me some advice. I am thinking of going natural but not sure how I am going to maintain it especially in the summer.
Please help.

1god1

If you go natural.....you should put your hair in twists...experiment. Hopefully someone with more experience will answer.

Traycee

If the doctor says your scalp would be healthy without a relaxer....You should probably listen......A beautician is just that.....You know what they say...doctors know best....As much as I love relaxing ...relaxing is not the end of the world....Be encouraged...

drasgrl

This is what I just looked up because I've never heard of it.
http://www.womenshairinstitute.com/th_wcth_ta.asp

Traumatic alopecia is divided into three categories:
Traction alopecia results from the persistent pulling of the hair by tight rollers or braiding. You’ll first see the thinning above the ears and the forehead. If not stopped, these styling methods can result in irreversible hair loss because traction can destroy hair follicles.

Chemical alopecia is the damage to the scalp and hair shaft caused by commercial relaxer products. It will resemble hair thinning resulting from hereditary causes, but it will also include scarring of the scalp, which could irreversibly damage the hair follicles.

Follicular degeneration syndrome is the gradual destruction of hair
follicles by the excessive use of pomades with a hot comb or iron. Thinning usually begins at the crown and then spreads evenly throughout the head. It is an irreversible condition.
If you suspect that you are suffering from traumatic alopecia, stop the styling practices immediately and see a dermatologist.

Here’s what you can do to reduce your risk of traumatic alopecia:
• Apply chemicals directly to the hair, rather than to the scalp. • Get touch-ups less frequently. • Use a mild relaxer. • Use looser wrapping to minimize tension on the hair root. • Wear braids that are larger and looser. • Unbraid hair every two weeks. • Use hair products that contain glycerin instead of mineral oil or petroleum. • Try using hair extensions, since they do not require the daily stress of braiding. • Avoid using glue to secure hair extensions. • Avoid using hot combs or irons.
Sorry I don't have any advice but I'd definitely go natural if it was caused by styling practices. What about a wig?

marla

I had imfalmmed hair follicles from psoriasis. My deramtologist gave my Clobatesol and the hair is starting to grow back in. I have to keep the are super moisturized, but it's looking good.

camosil

Sorry ladies I fell asleep. I appreciate all of your advice. I truly believe the right thing to do is just to go natural for a while, but at the same time I guess I do not want to deal with the styling of natural hair and the transition, but you know what it is easy to relax your hair but the price in the end might be total loss of hair, whereas taking the time now to manage and care for my hair the natural way will result in thicker fuller hair and my hair growing back.
I always give that kind of advice but I guess when it comes to practicing what you preach it can be hard at times.
Wigs are a good idea, at least I would have lots of options in hairstyles, twists I am not sure of because I am not a fan of it.

onejamifan

Chemical alopecia is the damage to the scalp and hair shaft caused by commercial relaxer products. It will resemble hair thinning resulting from hereditary causes, but it will also include scarring of the scalp, which could irreversibly damage the hair follicles.

Follicular degeneration syndrome is the gradual destruction of hair
follicles by the excessive use of pomades with a hot comb or iron. Thinning usually begins at the crown and then spreads evenly throughout the head. It is an irreversible condition.
If you suspect that you are suffering from traumatic alopecia, stop the styling practices immediately and see a dermatologist.

I think this is what I'm suffering from too... I am DEFINITELY going to have to call the doctor tomorrow morning. :sad: I can't believe the damage is irreversible... I had been seeing some thinning and didn't really do anything about it. Yesterday I switched relaxers to Phyto Index 2 thinking that it would help and my scalp feels SUPER tender right now. Like its really bothering me... not sure if I can start using oils in my scalp or anything...I'm kind of scared...

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

Sorry ladies I fell asleep. I appreciate all of your advice. I truly believe the right thing to do is just to go natural for a while, but at the same time I guess I do not want to deal with the styling of natural hair and the transition, but you know what it is easy to relax your hair but the price in the end might be total loss of hair, whereas taking the time now to manage and care for my hair the natural way will result in thicker fuller hair and my hair growing back.
I always give that kind of advice but I guess when it comes to practicing what you preach it can be hard at times.
Wigs are a good idea, at least I would have lots of options in hairstyles, twists I am not sure of because I am not a fan of it.

I had a simular problem but my alopecia was due to braiding then relaxers, I am going natural, I did the BC and my hair is growing back thick and healthy. I refuse to do relaxers any more, it's not worth it, and it will get worse as you get older. I find wigs a wonderful option, and I plan to wear wigs / and then my natural hair when I get some length. There are a lot of natural hair care theads here, you could start reading them to get ideas on natural hair care and tips for transitioning.

Good, luck, and listen to your doc, he's right in the long run.

dicapr

Does your current beautician know how to press hair? Some women transition by getting their new growth pressed on the regular basis to keep them from having to deal with the two textures all the time.

ricochet

In 2006, I diagnosed myself with alopecia areata. I didn't go the doctor but maybe I should have. I decided to wait being that it didn't spread to any other parts of my scalp, it was limited to two spots. I was already natural so I have no clue what could have caused it except stress. One spot, by my right ear in the back, was about a quarter size. The other spot, in the middle of my head in the back, was about a dime to nickel size. Both spots were smooth as a baby's bottom. In your case, the chemical could be causing it and if the doctor thinks so, you may want to consider his advice. There are so many options in going natural these days, from transitioning to wigs. You have so many options. Be blessed!

discodumpling

OP listen to your physician & not your beautician.
I too self diagnosed ALL forms of alopecia, & even now at just barely 1yr natural some tenderness remains.

Supplements like Hyaluronic Acid, MSM, & Biotin, helped tremendously to reduce the pain. There are so many natural remedies out there! The e/o combination from Dr. Isabell Hay is what I credit the most with bringing my follicles back to life; producing hair in areas that hadn't been growing for at least 7 yrs prior.

I LOVE being natural! My hair does so many things and I feel like ME!

Last edited:

dynamic1

Nizoral treats inflammation.

I had seborrhea dermatitis and used Prescription Nizoral. But you can get 1% over the counter. It is very drying so, my stylist would follow with a moisturizing "sulfate free" poo and conditioner. My derm also gave me Derma-Smoothe, a corticosteroid- but that thins the scalp, so I stopped using it.

This is why so many people have success with, dare I say it, v-jayjay cream, similar active ingredient and no dry hair from the shampoo. Also less expensive than the script poo.

I am natural now, primarily out of curiosity, and partly because the relaxers were a source of irritation. I wanted to see if my dermatitis would be minimized or eliminated, and it primarily is under control now. The only time I have an issue is when I use a liquid/runny leave in. But I have yet to figure out why those cause so much irritation.

If you go the natural ingredients route, there are many oils and essential oils that can reduce inflammation. emu, eem, jojoba, primrose, borage oil, tea tree, rosemary, to name a few & acv

FYI - neem smells really funky!

Good luck, and please listen to your derm, not your stylist.

Last edited:

Lovelylocs

I agree. :yep: Listen to your doctor and not your beautician. Also, look into some alternative treatments and definately take supplements, ie. Bordello's vitamin plan? (was that her name?)