ALOPECIA AREATA

Ebony Majesty

Today I was diagnosed with alopecia areata :( I found the patch in August after a stressful incident at my old job. It is now two times bigger and i don't see any progress.

The doctor was NOT very helpful @ all, so I'm going to get a second opinion along with some better advice.

Does anyone suffer, or has suffered from the condition? Have you fully recovered, or what progress have you seen?

I need some support right now :(
Thank you

ChocalateDiva

My 5 year old has it.:sad: Her precious hair falls out in different places several times a year. It grows back several weeks later spontaneously. It will be as bald as a bowling ball, then one day she will have peach fuzz and it will grow back. The dermatologist gave me topical prescription stuff to put on it.

He also stated that ALOPECIA AREATA is linked to Lupus later in life. There is no cure and they dont even know why it happens.

Sorry your going thru this.

(((Hugs)))

Ebony Majesty

Thank you for replying, ChocalateDiva. When did you discover your little one had the condition?

Related to lupus? Damn :ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

My mother experienced this a couple of times, but hers grew back quite quicly and I'm starting to worry

Thank you for the hug x

curlyj

My heart goes out to you, I had a shedding exp. b/c of BC this past week and did tons of research this past weekend. I do believe in holistic(homeopathic) ways of curing everything. I'd like to share what I've found:
http://www.dryitchyscalpremedies.com/Purchased Ebooks/BEAUTIFUL_HAIR AND_HEALTHY_SCALP_SECRETS2.pdf

I hope this link works and please pm... I'd like to speak about this further....
I've just started to invest in essential oils and indian herbs in such to promote growth , but mostly to take very good care of my scalp. This I've found out is so important in our haircare. I whip up recipes all the time now- depending on what my hair and scalp needs...

I do hope this helps...

phyl73

My heart goes out to you, I had a shedding exp. b/c of BC this past week and did tons of research this past weekend. I do believe in holistic(homeopathic) ways of curing everything. I'd like to share what I've found:
http://www.dryitchyscalpremedies.com/Purchased Ebooks/BEAUTIFUL_HAIR AND_HEALTHY_SCALP_SECRETS2.pdf

I hope this link works and please pm... I'd like to speak about this further....
I've just started to invest in essential oils and indian herbs in such to promote growth , but mostly to take very good care of my scalp. This I've found out is so important in our haircare. I whip up recipes all the time now- depending on what my hair and scalp needs...

I do hope this helps...
I'm sorry to hear about this. I ordered some BoundlessTresses and on the label it says its for your condidtion. Now I've just started using it, so I'm not sure how true this is, but you may want to give it a try.

Curlyj, your hair is soooo pretty. Mine is super thin and I'm on a mission to get thickness that's why I ordered it. Oh, I also heard that black castor oil is great for all types of conditions of the scalp.

Moroni

Stiletos, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I had a patient who had this problem, and I found that his was actually an allergic reaction to mold, which was growing in his home. After he completed his mold treatments, his hair grew back rapidly. He's had no recurrence of the alopecia in the last 18 months that I've been caring for his family.

For more info: www.naet.com

PuffyBrown

:doingdishes: Wow, I hate to hear that. I have heard some really positive things about Alopecil for people that have been diagnosed with Alopecia. sickbay.biz carries some of the products but the ibeautyny.com has more product lines that are offered.

DMCSHERIFF

My hair came out from alopecia and nothing worked but Boundless Tresses and MTG. My hair is now past my shoulders and healthy.
The photos show my progess ending in Nov.2007 back to May 2007 when I first started applying BT and MTG every night.

Attachments

• DSCF0081.JPG
    DSCF0081.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF0063.JPG
    DSCF0063.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF0058.JPG
    DSCF0058.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 145

Ebony Majesty

I do hope this helps...

Aw wow, thanks for that link! I will PM you now x

Ebony Majesty

DMCSHERIFF, your progress is amazing! I'm glad BT and MTG worked for you! I tried boundless tresses for a while but saw no progress phyl73. I might try it again though after seeing your pics
x

Ebony Majesty

:doingdishes: Wow, I hate to hear that. I have heard some really positive things about Alopecil for people that have been diagnosed with Alopecia. sickbay.biz carries some of the products but the ibeautyny.com has more product lines that are offered.

I will definately check that out. Thank you StellaB :)

Ebony Majesty

Stiletos, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I had a patient who had this problem, and I found that his was actually an allergic reaction to mold, which was growing in his home. After he completed his mold treatments, his hair grew back rapidly. He's had no recurrence of the alopecia in the last 18 months that I've been caring for his family.

For more info: www.naet.com

Damn @ mold!! Thanks for the link x

vickid

Today I was diagnosed with alopecia areata :( I found the patch in August after a stressful incident at my old job. It is now two times bigger and i don't see any progress.

The doctor was NOT very helpful @ all, so I'm going to get a second opinion along with some better advice.

Does anyone suffer, or has suffered from the condition? Have you fully recovered, or what progress have you seen?

I need some support right now :(
Thank you

I was diagnosed with alopecia areata about 4 yrs ago. 2 Dr's told me that I'd be bald within a year. Not only did I keep my hair, it all grew back plus some. I saw 4 Dr's before I found one that I trusted so don't give up just because 1 or 2 Dr's tell you its hopeless. They pretty much all give the same standard treatment--cortisone shots, Men's Rogaine and possibly oral or topical spironolactone. I stayed away from heat, chemicals, stress (yes stress!) and stopped hormonal birth control. Luckily, my cousin-in-law was a researcher for McNeil (they make Rogaine) and she gave me tons of info about hair loss and growth. After 3 yrs of hair loss, she swears that its pretty much hopeless to regrow hair so START NOW to turn things around. It's an uphill battle but you can win it-be patient, be consistent and stay strong, sis!

vickid

Is Alopecia Reversible, or does it stay in your genes indef?

All forms of alopecia have the potential to be permanent. Everything I've read or been told says that the permanence or lack thereof depends on the type and duration of treatment. Most but not all forms of alopecia have the potential to reverse themselves.

longhairluva

I do hope this helps...

This is a very good site. I have been having scalp issues for the past 6 months. I just recently had to cut my APL hair back to shoulder length because the meds the dr was giving me wasn't doing anything.

I got some info from this site and a member here(keisha i think: thanks) and I have been using Neem, Lavendar, and Trea tree, and Rosemary oils and my problems are going away. These oils are amazing for scalp conditions. You should look into it.

I just wanna say, if you do ever move in the direction of any minoxidil related product, be very careful.

I have read some very negaitve things about it.

Lovelylocs

This is a good thread. :up: Since we all love hair so much, we need to know what to do in case of these kinds of emergencies.

Good luck OP! :) I'm rooting for u! :yep:

BTW, just out of curiousity, have u tried garlic?

Leslie_C

Stilletos,
I dont have any advice for you but I just wanted to say I hope you find something that works for you. I honestly think I might have the same thing bc there is a circular area in the crown/back of my head that has come out a few times over the past few years and I always wrote it off too something I was or wasnt doing or a bad relaxer...but how can it keep happening in that one area and the rest of my hair is in great shape? But Im hesitant to diagnose myself because when I was in nursing school I used to think I had every condition I would read about lol :rolleyes:.

This time around it happened a few months ago and its growing back in again, but I have to keep putting stuff on it bc it isnt really strong hair and when I pull it, it breaks easily. I trimmed the area and when stretched its a little over 2" long. Im just watching it and trying to baby it back to health. I do think henna and the indian oils/powders are working to make it strong so hopefully It wont break off at the root like that anymore. At its worst, it looked like peach fuzz and I couldnt even grab hold of it...so Im pretty sure it was actually fully bald in that spot and I just didnt notice until it started to grow in a little bit. At that time I was only airdrying or doing wash n gos, so I didnt see the spot until I actually tried to blowdry or flat iron. Now that Im rollersetting, I can get that area on the smallest roller, which is one step in the right direction.

LynnieB

oh dear........AA survivor here. i only saw 1 patch but there were actually 2 of them, i do believe mine were stress related but i'll never really know for sure.

i was treated by a derm and self treated with essential oils.

noticed dime sized patch on the crown around February 06 and it continued falling out til about silver dollar size. it wasn't until 7 months later that fine black baby hair (not the peach fuzz stuff) actually grew. i never knew about the patch behind my ear until months and months later.

always an encouraging sign IS the peach fuzz, it means your follicles are not completely dead but it takes a while for the alopecia to run it's course and the follicle can then begin to grow actual hair.

Good luck with your AA, try to avoid negativity by keeping positive thoughts and stay encouraged, recovery is possible.

Alopecia Areata album: http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/alopecia/alopecia-areata/

Leslie_C

oh dear........AA survivor here. i only saw 1 patch but there were actually 2 of them, i do believe mine were stress related but i'll never really know for sure.

i was treated by a derm and self treated with essential oils.

noticed dime sized patch on the crown around February 06 and it continued falling out til about silver dollar size. it wasn't until 7 months later that fine black baby hair (not the peach fuzz stuff) actually grew. i never knew about the patch behind my ear until months and months later.

always an encouraging sign IS the peach fuzz, it means your follicles are not completely dead but it takes a while for the alopecia to run it's course and the follicle can then begin to grow actual hair.

Good luck with your AA, try to avoid negativity by keeping positive thoughts and stay encouraged, recovery is possible.

Alopecia Areata album: http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/alopecia/alopecia-areata/

Wow Lynnie,
you are lucky u have such beautiful thick hair that Ill bet nobody could ever even tell that spot was there. Thanks for sharing.

LynnieB

Wow Lynnie,
you are lucky u have such beautiful thick hair that Ill bet nobody could ever even tell that spot was there. Thanks for sharing.

i guess you can say that leslie but because that patch was basically on top of my head, it took some creativity to hide it and even then, i was paranoid that someone could still see it.

asking your kids and other family members to spot check (and worse having them say "sorry mom, i still see it") is such a horrible feeling.

my husband even started lying to me and told everyone else to lie too. they'd all tell me it wasn't getting any worse but of course the truth was on the walls and at bottom of the shower, in my combs and brushes and those neurotic/complusive glimpses in the mirror :sad:

**WonderWoman**

I have alopecia. I freaked out when my doctor spotted it. I did a lot of investigation and found several people & stylists who were really familiar with it.

1) Alopecia is sometimes triggered by something >>> bad dieting, stress, etc. Mostly stress. To combat this, faithfully take your B vitamins to reduce your stress levels.

2) I think of alopecia as the flu. It's something I expect to get every winter. It'll be a nuisance for a few days and then go away. No real harm done. Of course this is b/c I don't get the flu shot or take Vitamin C. :look:

I know it's hard to see your hair coming out. But remember STRESS is a big aggravating factor with Alopecia. So, DONT GET WORKED UP ABOUT! :yep: Try to overlook it, knowing it's not causing any permanent damage, your hair will come back, and with growth aids like BT you have a remedy.

PM if you need anything. :blowkiss:

**WonderWoman**

i guess you can say that leslie but because that patch was basically on top of my head, it took some creativity to hide it and even then, i was paranoid that someone could still see it.

asking your kids and other family members to spot check (and worse having them say "sorry mom, i still see it") is such a horrible feeling.

my husband even started lying to me and told everyone else to lie too. they'd all tell me it wasn't getting any worse but of course the truth was on the walls and at bottom of the shower, in my combs and brushes and those neurotic/complusive glimpses in the mirror :sad:

Wait... hol' up! :pant: Lynnie your hair is GORGEOUS! My hair wants to be like yours when it grows up!!!!!!!! What hair type are you?

princess me

my mother has alopecia from wearing weaves and braids for about 20 years so now she is stuck to staying with them (weaves, braids, wigs, etc) because unfortunately her hair will never grow back...

that just goes to show how delicate our hair really is... even though it may seem strong because it is coarse...

Ebony Majesty

Wow, thanks everyone for your support!
LynnieB, thanks for sharing your pics!

Its good to know Alopecia Areata suffers are not alone!
I can't thank you all enough!

ChocalateDiva

Thank you for replying, ChocalateDiva. When did you discover your little one had the condition?

Related to lupus? Damn :ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

My mother experienced this a couple of times, but hers grew back quite quicly and I'm starting to worry

Thank you for the hug x

I hope you hair grows back. Your welcome for the hug.

caribgirl

Bumping for more responses!!!!!!

Just wondering if there are any ladies who grew their hair successfully after being diagnosed with Lupus. I have a friend who needs lots of encouragment!

LivingDoll

Hey...sorry OP, I just saw this thread. I had alopecia areata when I was 16. My hair fell out in several large sections. The sections were all larger than a silver dollar but thankfully my hair was long and I was able to cover the bald patches. The patches were skin bald with no sign of hair. Dermatologists had me trying different things, mainly steroid creams and tar based ointments. Luckily, right before doctors were about the start giving me steroid injections, my hair started growing back. IMHO the hair started growing back when I stopped using all of the meds they were giving me. The doctors told me that my alopecia was due to stress and also told me that I could never go longer than 3 days without washing my hair.

I've never heard of alopecia being associated with Lupus. I'll have to find out more about that. I haven't suffered from Alopecia since then and all my hair grew back. That was WAY before LHCF and I didn't have any growth aids to help me along...but my hair EVENTUALLY grew back. When the hair started growing, it grew from the outside inward and it looked like newborn baby hair. The hair QUICKLY caught up with the length of my other hair.

I just want to tell you to remain positive and optimistic!:yep: Try to reduce stressors in your life, eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep and exercise. If you're already doing those things, continue. TRY NOT TO WORRY:nono:...THAT WILL INCREASE YOUR STRESS! I will pray that your hair grows back in abundance.:yep: God bless.