allergic reaction to hair color- itchy

Ladylynn

Has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to hair color? I colored my hair Thursday night with Bigen oriental black hair color. Since then, my hair has been itching like crazy. My lymph nodes are swollen around the back of my head and around my ear and neck. I was treated with an antibiotic, but could someone recommend what I can put on my scalp to alleviate the itching. My scalp is full of scabs because I can't stop scratching.

honeybadgirl

i havent but my aunt had a reaction to hair color. she got all swollen, had lumps and bumps all over her face and head. head was full of scabs! she looked like a monster!!:eek:
as a result she can only use prisms. i dont remember exactly what she was allergic to in the dyes but she can only use semi permanents i think

Ladylynn

Thanks ladies, I have gone to the doctor's. I'm in the process of making a dermatology appointment. I was hoping someone could help me in the mean time. It'll probably be two weeks to a month beforeI can see a dermatologist.

ddean

Sorry this happened to you. Here's more info on PPD:

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/paraphenylenediamine-allergy.html

Here's treatment info from the above article:
Treatment of PPD dermatitis

In acute severe cases of PPD hair dye dermatitis, wash the hair and scalp thoroughly with a mild soap or soapless shampoo to remove the excess dye. Apply a 2% hydrogen peroxide solution or compresses of potassium permanganate in a 1:5000 dilution to completely oxidise the PPD. To soothe, soften the crust and alleviate the tight feeling of the scalp, a wet dressing of cold olive oil and lime may be used. Further treatment with a topical application of an emulsion of water and water-miscible corticosteroid cream, or oral corticosteroids may be indicated.

Mahalialee4

Oh Lawd! It's Henna and Indigo for me. Bye Bye Bigen!...you were the only one that gave me the blackest black hair in a minute. I have not had any problem with the Bigen so far, but last week, I just decided I needed to stay with natural stuff and not even risk it. It was time for a change anyway. bonjour

SplashAtl

Yes, this happen to me twice with Semi-perm and Perm. I had to go to urgent care and get an antibiotic both times. I have colored my hair for years with no problem and all of a sudden I'm allergic to it right when all these gray hairs start poppin' up. I'm trying Henna and Indigo soon. Rinses don't bother me but they don't last in my hair and don't cover the gray. Big waste of money.

QUOTE=Ladylynn]Has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to hair color? I colored my hair Thursday night with Bigen oriental black hair color. Since then, my hair has been itching like crazy. My lymph nodes are swollen around the back of my head and around my ear and neck. I was treated with an antibiotic, but could someone recommend what I can put on my scalp to alleviate the itching. My scalp is full of scabs because I can't stop scratching.[/QUOTE]

eajaye2u

Antihistemine (sp)-- will stop the itching. Or something that you would by for hay fever and allergies from over the counter will stop the itching. It will make you sleepy. Tylenol has a brand that i have used but the store brand works just as well. Please if possible limit contact with your scalp. Put some melaluca oil on it or the purest tea tree you can find. The doctor really could call something in for you too. But its probably less expensive to buy someting at the drug store. Get better soon.

soonergirl

Yes Yes Yes this happened to me too after bigen!!! I thought it was just me!!! My ears were swollen red and bumpy, my scalp was scab filled , it was a night mare!!!! I love black hair but can only use rinses!! I am also allergic to wasp/bee stings If I remember correctly this has something to do with it...... Happy Healing gurl!!!!:)

Ladylynn

Thanks ladies so... much for the info. I knew I could count on my LHCF sisters. I wish I read this before I decided to wash my hair tonight. I washed with CON moisturizing shampoo, did a hot oil treatment with olive oil and deep conditioned with Silk Elements moisturizing conditioner. My hair still itches, but not as bad as before. The doctor did tell me to take Benadryl which seems to help. I also have to remember to take my antibiotics prescribed, because I know that's important. I'm giving up permanent hair color. I have been coloring for years, and didn't start having this problem until recently. I may try henna and indigo as well my next time around. I'm also going to try the peroxide tomorrow. This allergy is no fun.

AKA-Tude

This happened to me as well.

This is what made me switch to henna & indigo!

I haven't had a problem since!

SplashAtl

I can really feel your pain. I was so hurt when I found out I was allergic to hair color. Hopefully the Henna & Indigo process will work for me. If not I guess I will just have to accept the grays.

Also, please remember to take your antibiotics. They are very important. You don't want your hair to fall out or your allergic reaction to get worse.

Ladylynn said:
Thanks ladies so... much for the info. I knew I could count on my LHCF sisters. I wish I read this before I decided to wash my hair tonight. I washed with CON moisturizing shampoo, did a hot oil treatment with olive oil and deep conditioned with Silk Elements moisturizing conditioner. My hair still itches, but not as bad as before. The doctor did tell me to take Benadryl which seems to help. I also have to remember to take my antibiotics prescribed, because I know that's important. I'm giving up permanent hair color. I have been coloring for years, and didn't start having this problem until recently. I may try henna and indigo as well my next time around. I'm also going to try the peroxide tomorrow. This allergy is no fun.

Mizani_Mrs

eww. the same happened to me a few years back. what a nightmare! My scalp blistered and scabbed up and it was ooozing pus. it did not feel good. I was allergic to the PPD ingredient that is in most dyes. which is why i only do rinses now. and i can only henna with pure henna because some contain ppd as well. i went to the urgent care and i was prescribed a cortisone/antibiotic. there wasnt nothing i can do as far as topically. i just put my hair in a loose pony for like 3 weeks and i didnt wash it, so the scabs can heal. then i gently washed it. be careful!