ALCOHOL IN HAIR PRODUCTS...VENT

Buttalips219

Over the weekend I colored my nautral TWA (tinnie, winnie, afro), and I used a shampoo to rinse it out and it felt like brillo. I realized that the shampoo has alcohol in it as well as most of the conditioners I use.

I found a leave in conditioner that does not contain alcohol and it feels great. I also bought Fast Grow Shampoo (from exoticallure.com) which doesn't contain alcohol either.

Does anyone know of any regular conditioners that does not contain alcohol that you can share?

Do they contain cetearyl alcohol? Because that is not the same as the drying alcohol that is found in hairsprays and other things. Cetearyl Alcohol is a fatty alcohol that is used to keep moisture in the hair. It also acts as an emollioent, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetearyl_alcohol . First check to be sure that the type of alcohol found in your conditioners and shampoos is not actually the good kind.:)

I see what you mean, sometimes it's very frustating...

But you have to make the difference between good and bad alcohols. The good ones are "fatty acohols" such as cetearyl alcohol, acetyl acohol, Behenyl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol,sterol alcohol ...These ones will not dry your hair out.

On the contrary, Methanol, alcohol denat, Isopropyl alcohol(Isopropanol) etc...are bad alcohols.

The products I have do not say that on the bottles. They just say Alcohol, so I don't know which is good or bad. I will assume that Cholesterol has the good alcohol indgredient. I just want to keep a healthy scalp that is why I started paying close attention.

Thanks for pointing out the difference in the types of alcohol in products. Now I know what to look for.

Youknow most times when there is alcohol in a product my hair hates it. But, I notice it more when it is a lquid product that has alcohol as the base. But one of my favorite daily styling/moisturizing creams (it has been discontinued) has alcohol denat. - Herbal Essences Smoothing Creme :

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Extract (Jojoba), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Carica Papaya Fruit Extract (Papaya), Averrhoa Carambola Fruit Extract, Citrus Nobilis Peel Extract (Mandarin Orange), PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Sodium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Fragrance, Alcohol Denat, DMDM Hydantoin, Sodium Benzoate, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol.

I love that cream and it has saved me MANY days and never dries my hair out. I have yet to figure out how I can use this cream with no problems meanwhile some other product dry my hair out. I really think it is the products that have SD 40 alcohol/alcohol denat. as the base that are drying and bad for out hair.

Back