Products to use while in braids.......

lina

Hello all,

I'm getting braids soon. In between washes I was planning on using witch hazel and aloe vera gel or ORS shea butter as a moisturizer.

Got a few questions....
1. Is witch hazel drying? does it contain alcohol?
2. Is aloe vera gel moisturizing?
3. Has anyone used ORS shea butter lotion? Is it too oily? is olive oil a better choice?

Thanks in advance!!

Faith

The shea butter lotion may be too much for your braids...could lead to major buildup. If you plan on using it maybe dilute it with some water first. I have the olive oil one and that's how I use it.

Witch hazel is used as a scalp cleanser not a moisturizer when in braids...its an astringent. Most use it bc they don't want to wash their braids for risk of them becoming frizzy.

I use - Infusium 23 & African Royale or Pride braid spray (source: www.growafrohairlong.com), Giovanni Vitapro Fusion and Surge.

I'm doing the C & G method (the link above). I was weekly and when I take them out after 2 months, I don't have much build up at all, just shed hair and my hair remains nice, soft and strong.

Personal Reg: wash weekly, after wash spray scalp with surge and then apply WGO or growth oil mix (w/ MN), spray surge on scalp for first 3 days, spray giovanni vitapro fushion on scalp the remaining 3 days of the week before wash day, every other day spray a mix of the Infusium and African braid spray on braids only.

The reason I do Surge only the first 3 days after wash is bc I feel like that when it works best and absorbs better and has the full growth benefit.

HTH

Urban

1) I don't think witch hazel is moisturizing. Even when it's used on the skin, it's not for moisture but astringent properties. You're better off using the aloe vera and water/ something else. Most witch hazel that I've come across contains alcohol, the level depends on where you get it from.

2) Aloe vera gel naturally contains water so it is moisturizing. But I wouldn't use it on its own though.

Platinum

I'm wearing micros now so I use baking soda and water to wash my braids. I moisturize my hair with with Worlds of Curls curl moisturizer and spray my scalp with Surge 14.

angenoir

When in braids I use WGO (Wild Growth Oil). It keeps my hair from being dry and prevents breakage. But no, no wild growth :) Also my hair is very soft when I take down the braids.

Just a word of warning - it does not smell great and you must use lightly as a little goes a long way.

Austro-Afrikana

I think you should refrain from using heavy products. Use a spray specifically designed for braids. I use African pride which is very moisturising and use infusium leave in on wash days....c&g method. can't go wrong with it

Nonie

^^Ditto on the C&G regimen. I always tell people when in doubt to do what Robin says. (www.growafrohairlong.com) I personally don't use any products as leave-ins when wearing braids: I shampoo, condition, air-dry...and baggy every night. But that's coz I'm a weirdo.

lina

Thanks so much everyone for your responses!!

I bought the dickinson witch hazel. The bottle says 100% (but it also says 14% natural alcohol, whatever that means.) I will definitely wash regularly but wanted something for in between washes b/c my scalp can be something else and I didn't want to use anything heavy. I also bought the fote aloe vera gel 100%. I rub some in my hands and it feels so soothing. So I will try to use that as a moisturizer after the witch hazel application. If the aloe vera gel is not moisturizing enough I will use the ORS shea butter which is light, creamy and smell wonderful.

So we will see........I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

lina

Oh yeah... the scalp sprays for braids do not work for me. Either I don't like the smell or it leaves a sticky coating or it is too heavy. I have to be very particular about the products I use b/c my scalp will act up.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway!!

Faith

^^Ditto on the C&G regimen. I always tell people when in doubt to do what Robin says. (www.growafrohairlong.com) I personally don't use any products as leave-ins when wearing braids: I shampoo, condition, air-dry...and baggy every night. But that's coz I'm a weirdo.
Hey Nonie,
But you don't use extensions, right? I'm thinking because the extension can be so drying it's a good idea to use something to keep hair moist.

Lina, if the braid sprays don't work then diluting the ORS shea lotion would be the way to go. Make sure you dilute it well enough though.

Last edited:

Nonie

Hey Nonie,
But you don't use extensions, right? I'm thinking because the extension can be so drying it's a good idea to use something to keep hair moist.

To the OP, Better Braids makes a daily braid spray if you want to try that. It's pretty good. I don't use it because of the glycerine but if you don't mind, try that.

Hi Faith :wave:

When I wear braids, I'm always in extensions. I was in these extensions from April 2007 to June 2008 and did not use any products in my hair. And was in these extensions from December 2003 to September 2004 and then the same extension hair reused from Jan 2005 to July 2006, and in both cases, no braid sprays or moisturizers/leave-ins were used at any time. I just don't like products in my hair and only ever use a leave in when wearing my hair out.

As long as I continue with the regimen I use now when I'm just in twists (wash and condition at least twice a week, with one of those being a DC; and then baggy every night), my hair seems to do well. I would not advise anyone to do this though. What works for me might not work for you.

Last edited:

lina

Hey Nonie,

To the OP, if the braid sprays don't work then diluting the ORS shea lotion would be the way to go. Make sure you dilute it well enough though.

Hi,

How would I dilute the ORS shea lotion?

Faith

Just add water. Get an empty bottle. If it's an 8oz bottle then dump about 3oz of ORS shea lotion in it and then add 5oz of water (distilled if you have it).
If you want it more diluted then make it 2oz shea lotion : 6ozwater. If you want it thicker then 4oz shea lotion:4oz water, etc.
For my olive lotion I do 3oz shea : 5oz water. Next one I'm doing will be 2:6.

Last edited:

lina

To Faith and Frizzy,

I am going to use the aloe and water mixture. Probably 3 or 4oz of aloe and 2 or 4oz of water. ( I want more of a thicker spritz). I tried mixing the ORS shea butter with water to dilute it and would not even combine. It was worst than oil and water. The shea butter turn into a nasty glob. So I'm going to stick with the aloe vera gel and water. The aloe vera combined with water very nicely.

Thanks for the ideas!!

lina

Got an update!!

I never used the witch hazel or the ORS shea butter. My hairstylist said that the witch hazel would be too drying for my scalp and hair. And after combining the ORS shea butter with water, I did not like how it did not combine with water. (I think I am going to start to use as much natural products and ingredients as I can now because of this). Soooo.......... I tried the aloe vera gel and it was not moisturizing at all. :( Then I mixed the aloe vera gel with water. It was alittle more moisturizing but not moisturizing enough. So I had some Jane Carter nourish and shine that I used after my first wash in braids and so far so good!!

Last edited: