After much consideration, i think I am going to texlax or relax today

i know that scurred feeling :yep:

may i make a suggestion?

if you are feeling this much anxiety please wait about a week longer.

when i made my final decision to relax (you know i went back and forth with it for MONTHS) i was at peace. there was no anxiety, no reluctance, no sick feelings...nothing. i was excited about it and have not looked back.

That's how I was, tossed and turned and fretted for months, but once I made the decision I was excited. I must admit that I was a little scared but just a little, no knots in my stomach, no anxiety.

Hi Fabulosity/Bre-Bre:wave:,

So you are going to do it huh? I had a feeling as you and I have very similiar hair, so I understood everything you were going through:yep:. I have no regrets about texturizing/texlaxing at all. I used a combination of Sacera and a few other LHCFers strategies. It turned out great. I used Silk Elements Mild and I did test sections first and I broke my hair into 3 sections, front half, top back half, and bottom back half, all of which have a different type of texure and needs. It took a long time to do it but it was worth it.

Now as far as new growth is concerned, it is very weird, I am about 7 weeks post and I can't see my new growth but I can feel it! I want to wait till 16 weeks but think I will touch up at 12 weeks this time, and go from there. I knew I would have no regrets because I was ready and I was so tired and unhappy. This is not a perfect solution, but I am much happier with my hair, I get it washed and detangled much quicker and I have a lot more good hair days than I used to.

Good luck chica, you can do it, just do lots of research, and take your time with your application, do it in sections, at least two, or even 3 or 4. Cut the relaxer with oil and/or protein. Oh and do your roots and ends last because they process the quickest. Can't wait to see the pics.
Thanks for the support. I plan on splitting my hair into 4 sections and taking it from there. Yay! We will be true hair twins :yep:

Even though i'm nervous I am looking forward to it. I guess my one only regret is that i don't want my daughter to have any qualms about her natural hair. Truth be told, i don't think I will let her know anything about this decision.

1 bit of advice -- when it comes time to touch up - coat your previously relaxed/texlaxed hair with conditioner or something to prevent relaxer run-off damage.

When I first tex-laxed I loved it, but I noticed that my hair towards the ends was getting straighter and straighter, and finally breaking. I didn't know about relaxer run-off, so I didn't realize that my hair was being relaxed over and over again when I rinsed the solution, and gradually straightening to the point of breakage. :nono:

This is what I plan on doing :yep::yep::yep:

Don't be scurred. If you're scurred you should have 'a professional' do it. I am never scared when I'M in control. I texturized after several years natural because I wanted the option of wearing my hair straight. Heat, blowouts, please, it wasn't happening. I need chemicals if I want my hair straight and sleek, especially for more than an hour. I love my curls though and still wanted to keep most of my texture so I never even considered going 'fully relaxed'.

I only touch up 2 or 3 times a year max. I don't have any problems with demarcation because the difference is very subtle. I use Phyto index 1. I can't recommend anything else because I don't think I would use anything else. If I did it definately would be something lye, I wouldn't use any other no-lye. Sareca just switched from Phyto to silk elements I believe and her hair is banging! Very even texture and curl definition and she loves it.

When I initially texturized my natural hair I parted in 4 sections, started in the back, applied, rinsed, neutralized, then did the front. Now I use one of those color brushes to do my touch ups and do my whole head at 1 time. I've since learned that timing is not an issue because I could probably sleep in Phyto index 1 and not have straight hair.

Good luck.

i know that scurred feeling :yep:

may i make a suggestion?

if you are feeling this much anxiety please wait about a week longer.

when i made my final decision to relax (you know i went back and forth with it for MONTHS) i was at peace. there was no anxiety, no reluctance, no sick feelings...nothing. i was excited about it and have not looked back.

i don't want you to make this decision in haste and regret it 2 days later. so take some more time to think about it and make sure that this is REALLY, beyond a shadow of a doubt what you want to do.

eta: this is a personal......but if you are experiencing any PMS right now (or Aunt Flo is visiting), DEFINITELY WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! something about that time of the month that gets a woman's hormones wacked and our minds aren't as clear when we make decisions.
Big decisions ALWAYS make me nervous LOL. Denver though i'm nervous, deep down I think i will be ok. And, if absolutely necessary, I know that i can go back to natural anytime (of course by regrowing my hair).

Aunt Flo isn't showing up for about 2 weeks so no pmsing. LOL, actually, if it was that time i'd be crying right now about what I want to do :lachen:

Thanks ladies for ALL of your support. It really really really means a lot to me. As some of you know i've been straddling the fence with this decision for a few months. Well, today i think i'm going to take the dive.

Wish me luck and once i'm done i'll give you the skinny.

Don't be scurred. If you're scurred you should have 'a professional' do it. I am never scared when I'M in control. I texturized after several years natural because I wanted the option of wearing my hair straight. Heat, blowouts, please, it wasn't happening. I need chemicals if I want my hair straight and sleek, especially for more than an hour. I love my curls though and still wanted to keep most of my texture so I never even considered going 'fully relaxed'.

I only touch up 2 or 3 times a year max. I don't have any problems with demarcation because the difference is very subtle. I use Phyto index 1. I can't recommend anything else because I don't think I would use anything else. If I did it definately would be something lye, I wouldn't use any other no-lye. Sareca just switched from Phyto to silk elements I believe and her hair is banging! Very even texture and curl definition and she loves it.

When I initially texturized my natural hair I parted in 4 sections, started in the back, applied, rinsed, neutralized, then did the front. Now I use one of those color brushes to do my touch ups and do my whole head at 1 time. I've since learned that timing is not an issue because I could probably sleep in Phyto index 1 and not have straight hair.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for this entire post!! Maybe I should do the back, rinse out, then do the front thing. That's something to think about...

Nooooooooooooo! Don't do it! Do you remember why you went natural in the 1st place? Did you really think this out . . . Are you really, really sure?

Thank you so much for this entire post!! Maybe I should do the back, rinse out, then do the front thing. That's something to think about...

I would recommend it especially if you use a lye relaxer.

My hair is super thick and was almost bsl when I did it and I was afraid of getting it too straight in some areas and not straight enough in others by either taking too long or rushing to finish up. It took ALOT of the pressure off and allowed me to take my time and have it processed evenly all over.:yep:

eta: this is a personal......but if you are experiencing any PMS right now (or Aunt Flo is visiting), DEFINITELY WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! something about that time of the month that gets a woman's hormones wacked and our minds aren't as clear when we make decisions.

Such great advice.....we know how Bre-Bre gets during this time of the month. She has even posted about it.:yep: Take your time girl....take a deep breath. Like DG said, you should feel excited and ready to make a new change. I know there will probably be a hint of nervousness, but you should be happy and not feel terrified. Plus self-relaxing is much, much harder to accomplish when you are unsure, nervous, or rushed. Gather your tips and get your head together, then proceed with confidence. I will miss your natural pics though...the pics of you and your daughter's hair always bring a smile to my face.:grin:

The best texlax I have ever seen was from a poster that was using S Curl kits I think. It was one of the texturizing kits for men. Her results were more precise than the ones I've seen with people using reg relaxers with the exception of maybe Phyto. But that stuff is so expensive :perplexed

When I was texlaxed I used ORS Super - yes my hair is THAT resistant. After 20+ minutes my hair was still wavy, so if you absolutely do not want to lose all texture I think a mild or reg of that would leave you with some even if you let it process fully.

Another idea is to use silk amino acids, or Chi Silk Infusion as a barrier on your hair, and then put the relaxer over it (silk protein reinforces the hair bonds so the hair will not straighten fully, but you can leave the relaxer on for the full time and don't end up with the weird in between fuzz) There was a whole thread about it.

Good Luck!

Do you recal the name of the thread?

Back