Advice Needed!! Affirm Regular Or Affirm Fiberguard,regular -who Uses It??

DMarie

I ask because I could use some good advice!! I am 8 weeks post relaxer and need to order my relaxer soon so that it'll be on hand around 12 weeks post relaxer. I have used the fiberguard regular on natural hair then I jumped on the phyto bandwagon only to jump back off after extreme dryness. Now I am thinking about going back to the fiberguard cause it left my hair with most of it's natural strength. The only problem I had with it was a lot of shedding and I am not sure if it was the chemical itself or because it was the first chemical being put on natural hair or if it could have possibly been caused from me putting heavy extensions in my hair around weeks 8-12 post relaxer. What do you think? Do you think the chemical will have the same effect on my hair again if I continue to use it or do you think it was the extra weight or friction of the braids that caused the shedding??????????

If this shedding has happened to anyone, did it continue or was it a one time thing? Why have you picked the regular over the fiberguard??

I am leading towards affirm fiberguard or the regular affirm- regular strength.

I am hoping you gals could give me good advice.

DMarie

thanks ladyr.

I really just would like someone to tell me what they think caused the shedding. They don't need to have used the exact same relaxer allthought I would like to hear from those who use the fiberguard.

Initially after the relaxer my hair did not shed. I wore it out for the first 8 weeks then put in the braids for another 5 weeks and after combing my hair once out of the braids had a lot of hair shedd. I checked a few hairs for white bulbs. Then wore it out another 2 before retouching my ng.

I am guessing that it probably wasn't the relaxer as I sit here and type this and maybe my hair sheds a lot when it's time for a relaxer. As that was the first time I had ever went that long without a touchup. 15 wks!!

DMarie

DMarie said:
thanks ladyr.

I really just would like someone to tell me what they think caused the shedding. They don't need to have used the exact same relaxer allthought I would like to hear from those who use the fiberguard.

Initially after the relaxer my hair did not shed. I wore it out for the first 8 weeks then put in the braids for another 5 weeks and after combing my hair once out of the braids had a lot of hair shedd. I checked a few hairs for white bulbs. Then wore it out another 2 before retouching my ng.

I am guessing that it probably wasn't the relaxer as I sit here and type this and maybe my hair sheds a lot when it's time for a relaxer. As that was the first time I had ever went that long without a touchup. 15 wks!!

DMarie

Hi DMarie,
The shedding was most likely normal shedding. You had your hair in braids for 5 weeks. You should expect a good amount of shedding when you don't comb frequently. I re-braid my hair every week to two weeks and I have a good amount of normal shedding. It doubt that it's the relaxer.

Also, I use have used the Fiberguard no-lye in regular and loved it; and just did a test section with the Fiberguard lye regular as a corrective and a touch-up and I really love it! I think you will be okay.

thanks lily and den for responding!!

lily-actually i have worn braids in the past many times for longer periods of time than 5 weeks (maybe 6 wks) and NEVER had that amount of shedding!! It wasn't normal for me. Maybe the surge and the rubbing it in- AKA- over manipulation produced the shedding?? I am glad to hear that someone else uses the fiberguard lye. I was starting to think that noone else did. I wonder why more people don't use the fiberguard lye??

den- thanks for the links. I think I may have read the info though a while back. Maybe I'll re-read the thread though.

DMarie

Back