Advice for Micro Braid Wearers??????

Selene

I just got micro braids. I am curious if you ladies have any tips on how to maintain the braids and how to keep your hair and scalp healthy. TIA.

LuvLiLocks

Hi Rose. I am no expert, but I treat my micros basically the same way I would my own hair.
1.I wrap at night or braid to avoid tangles,
2.Keep scalp oiled to minimize lint and add moisture
3.Rinse hair gently to cleanse (acv or mild poo)
4.Apply conditioner (regular or leave in)
5.Blow dry (optional) and press ends for smooth finish

Hope this helped, I'd say what ever you do, just be sure to be extra gentle with the braids because you don't want to apply any unnecessary pressure to the hair.

Neroli

Don't leave in too long, perhaps no more than 8 to 10 weeks, or you may experience breakage taking them out.

ubavka123

When I had micros, I pretty much washed on my same schedule (of course, back then, it was about 2x/wk), kept them moisturized with braid spray, and oiled my scalp with essential oils. So, as far as maintenance, it is not so different that with your own hair. Keep them moisturized. Don't pull them too tight around the hairline (if you put them up). And, my number one word of advice: don't leave them in too long. I couldn't keep them longer than 6 weeks. Actually, I only made it to 5, because I couldn't stop thinking about the hair underneath. Also, since the braids are delicate and can be heavy when wet, support the bottom of your braids with your hands when you poo so that the weight of the wet braids isn't pulling on your scalp. Dilute your shampoo in water and pour over your scalp to make shampooing easier. I would actually spray my braids with water, then spray with shampoo mixed in water. Then, I would massage scalp, squeeze braids down the length to distribute poo, then get in shower and rinse off while holding my braids at the bottom to release scalp tension. Don't forget to do ACV rinses to prevent build-up. That's all I can think of. It's a wonderfully versatile style. Have fun with it.
HTH

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
DONT pull them into a tight or even semi tight ponytail. thats when stress is put on your temples and people experience breakage. a loose ponytail is a bit sloppy, but youll have your hair!

edit: sorry, im horrible with typos

KinksnCurlz

also, be gentle with the braids in the front... very important.
u don't want to accidentally pull one out like i did about 3 years ago...

ChoclatePrincess

[ QUOTE ]
weaveitup said:
DONT pull them into a tight or even semi tiht ponytail. thats when stress is put on your temples and peopel experience breakage. a loose ponytail is a bit sloppy, but youll have your hair!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. When I had my braids if I wanted to put it up I would do a section at a time, not all at once this way you have more control. How small are your braids? I notice a lot of people saying that they have/had micro braids but they are not really micro. My braids in my album are NOT considered micro so if your braids are smaller than that than you have to be even more careful. When I first did my braids I left them hanging, didn't want to do too many different styles while it was tight.

Nonie

I repeat be gentle with your hairline. If you plan on wearing them repeatedly, you might want to change from having single extension braids along your hairline, to having mini-cornrows with just your hair, going back a short way (kinda like you have an imaginary band). It's a rather cute do, and it does take care of that very delicate area.
Also coz it's easy for braids to get caught in sth and get pulled, sweep the hairline ones sideways and tuck them behind your ear or pin them so that there's no chance of yanking them off. Wearing an updo style can also prevent the sudden tugs.

In due time, teach yourself how to do them yourself so that you can repair any that come out or get loose yourself. Also this will enable you to redo them as they move away from your scalp with your hair growth, coz they can start to "pull" painfully when they get loose; and it can get rather costly going to a stylist to have those few painful ones redone.

ubavka123

True, I left out size. Mine were the very small ones, the true micros, which is why I did not leave them in very long...If they are the very thin ones, be careful removing them, because there aren't that many strands in one braid. They will be dangling on the new growth and even more delicate. Handle extremely gently.

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
When I had micros, I pretty much washed on my same schedule (of course, back then, it was about 2x/wk), kept them moisturized with braid spray, and oiled my scalp with essential oils. So, as far as maintenance, it is not so different that with your own hair. Keep them moisturized. Don't pull them too tight around the hairline (if you put them up). And, my number one word of advice: don't leave them in too long. I couldn't keep them longer than 6 weeks. Actually, I only made it to 5, because I couldn't stop thinking about the hair underneath. Also, since the braids are delicate and can be heavy when wet, support the bottom of your braids with your hands when you poo so that the weight of the wet braids isn't pulling on your scalp. Dilute your shampoo in water and pour over your scalp to make shampooing easier. I would actually spray my braids with water, then spray with shampoo mixed in water. Then, I would massage scalp, squeeze braids down the length to distribute poo, then get in shower and rinse off while holding my braids at the bottom to release scalp tension. Don't forget to do ACV rinses to prevent build-up. That's all I can think of. It's a wonderfully versatile style. Have fun with it.
HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true I only made it to 6 b/c I was anxious about my hair underneath.

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true I only made it to 6 b/c I was anxious about my hair underneath.
Plus I couldn't stand the new growth popping out or how the got frizzy.

cutebajangirl

I am about to only be able to make it to 4. I don't like how fuzzy my hair is looking. I've also been washing but not conditioning.

greAtness333

I wanted to take them out at a month too, but then I thought about how much I paid for them and made myself keep them in a little longer.

HollyGolightly

Be very gentle with them and wear them down for the first few days until they loosen up. That's the time when they are the tightest, and when your hair is most prone to breakage.

Micro braids ruined my hair earlier this year. I hope that your braid experience is nothing like mine.

aikaa71

i have micro twists and have had them in for 7 weeks now. I had a middle part done in front and i get that area redone every six weeks so that the frizzy braids underneath do not show. I do not use much products to avoid build up at the base of the braids.

HollyGolightly

You can "loosen them up" by loosely gathering them in a high ponytail and taking a hot, steamy shower. That way they'll be a little more comfy