Advice For A Friend!!! LONG

lnhair

A friend of mine has been wearing the same set of braids from about August to late December. She had a bout to inches worth of new growth or more. She went and had her hair relaxed a couple of days later. Well it looks like the lady who did her relaxer did not relax the full 2 inches or more of new growth. It looks like they only relaxed an 1.5 inches from the root. So a middle section of her hair is not relaxed or rather texlaxed looking. Within the strand. The hair straight at the root and as you go down it gets nappy and then its straight again. Anyway she has been flat ironing everyday. It is breaking off and she is finding patches where it has broken off. She asked me what she should do but all i can think of is to do a protein treatment and to stop immediately with the heat. I thought Motions CPR would be good. But it has been along time since i have had a relaxer and I wasn't good at taking care of it. I would like to give her good advice if she asks me again. I really just didn't know what to tell her.

#1 she needs to STOP flat ironing every day and either cut her hair or get a corrective relaxer. I go with cut her hair but some people just can't part with it. No amount of protein or conditioning is going to fix it.

lnhair said:
A friend of mine has been wearing the same set of braids from about August to late December. She had a bout to inches worth of new growth or more. She went and had her hair relaxed a couple of days later. Well it looks like the lady who did her relaxer did not relax the full 2 inches or more of new growth. It looks like they only relaxed an 1.5 inches from the root. So a middle section of her hair is not relaxed or rather texlaxed looking. Within the strand. The hair straight at the root and as you go down it gets nappy and then its straight again. Anyway she has been flat ironing everyday. It is breaking off and she is finding patches where it has broken off. She asked me what she should do but all i can think of is to do a protein treatment and to stop immediately with the heat. I thought Motions CPR would be good. But it has been along time since i have had a relaxer and I wasn't good at taking care of it. I would like to give her good advice if she asks me again. I really just didn't know what to tell her.

Girl, you thought this post was long? Have you SEEN some of mine? hahahahha

Anyway, Motions CPR is good. The treatment conditioner is brilliant. It's not expensive and you can find it at any beauty supply store.

http://www.motionshair.com/b_cpr.cfm

Some women do corrective relaxers, but they usually wait 4 weeks or more. If her hair is breaking, then she should leave the heat alone and even wait longer if she does plan on getting a corrective so her hair has a chance to strengthen up. It also wouldn't hurt if she bought a protein reconstructor and several moisturizing products.

un un un...what a shame. I mean, does it take a rocket scientist to relax the poor child's hair correctly??? geez. She has breakage from the 2 textures creating a weakspot, and she probably has alot of breakage from dryness due to her leaving her braids in so long and not properly moisturizing...plus alot of shedding. She needs a heavyhitter like Nexxus Emergencee. (or aphogee) she can get it from walmart for like $14. its a small bottle but its enough for 3treatments or more. She should do the treatment every 2 weeks, followed by a moisturizing conditioner. and i would suggest maybe to use extra oil and wear a bun for maybe 3 weeks. her flatironing constantly is a no-no. She needs to learn to maybe flatiron after she washes, then wrap her hair to maintain the straight style...until she washes again.

I'm scared to suggest a corrective. I know that is what a stylist would suggest. But they only care about the straightness of your hair...not it's health. I actually have a few textures going on in my head...it doesn't cause me too much grief though...i just am sure to moisturize and do my protein trtmnts and im good to go...

Until she can get a corrective relaxer, I also suggest she get roller sets to smooth out the unprocessed area. I've seen this mistake made in the salon before and it isn't pretty. That's why I always air dry my hair right before a relaxer so they can see the new growth. Roux Mendex Hair Repair treatment also works really well to heal breakage.

I would not cut it at all. Protein is always good after a relaxer, but if the breakage is a result of the different textures, I would concentrate on major moisture to make the underprocessed section softer.

I would put a good moisturizer on my wet hair put some serum on it and set or air/dry flatiron weekly until my next relaxer, or is she feel comfortable doing a corrective maybe 3-4 weeks later.

She is 2 to 3 weeks post relaxer so I think that she was going to get a corrective one done. She wants to hold out for another 2 to 3 weeks. Would laying off the heat and gettting one of the protein treatments reccommended help her make it that long? What would be some good moisturizing products for her to use?

I'm dealing with this now, I self relaxed in Dec. and now I have relaxed roots, straight ends and some tex-laxed middle parts. I'm doing daily moisture and I'll get a corrective relaxer the 1st week of March.

lnhair said:
She is 2 to 3 weeks post relaxer so I think that she was going to get a corrective one done. She wants to hold out for another 2 to 3 weeks. Would laying off the heat and gettting one of the protein treatments reccommended help her make it that long? What would be some good moisturizing products for her to use?
Yeah, tell her to lay off the heat. Heat is not for damaged hair, protectant or no protectant.

Getting adequate protein would strengthen her hair up and halt her breakage signnificantly. She definitely needs to get a good protein reconstructor (JOICO K-Pak Reconstructor, Aphogee, or Nexxus Emergencee). As for great moisturizing products, Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin Extreme Moisture Conditioner is great (can be bought at JCPenney Salon) and Motions After-Shampoo Moisture Plus Conditioner is wonderful as well. Now for daily moisture I love using Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal Leave-In Comb-In Treatment. Some of the other ladies can give you more suggestions on moisturizers.

Back