ACV Rinses

RemyRem

ok so i just bought bragg's organic apple cider vinegar and some rosemary oil. i was wondering about the proportions of ACV to water do use? And what types of other oils could i use with and what do they help with?

Any suggestions?

Tiye

I'm surprised no one else answered this one. I suggest one or two tbsp per about 32 oz of water. Rosemary oil stimulates the scalp and can promote healthy hair growth. If you have dandruff or other scalp issues you might try a few drops of tea tree oil. Other oils like peppermint and lavender are also good for your scalp. Use essential oils with a light hand - you only need 2-3 drops per rinse.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I add about 1/4" to the bottom of a 16oz old shapoo bottle and the rest water. I dint measure jusy eyeball it, sometimes it's a little more.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i use a capful to 16 oz of water with about 10-20 drop of peppermint, rosemary. then i may add tea tree (only 5-10 drops. it's potent.)

all are good for scalp stimulation for growth. scalp cleansing. removing fungus and bacteria.

i use acv to clean my scalp and hair especially when in braids under a weave and to close my cuticle for nice smooth ponytails.

RemyRem

Just did my ACV rinse in my new regimen today..and all of it together worked wonders on my hair!! Thanks for the advice.

DominicanBrazilian82

First ACV rinse ever tonight. DCing with some Vanilla Silk. Awaiting the reveal of my newly cleansed scalp and hair. Somewhat happy to have tried an unconventional tip. But I love that its a natural, everyday, product.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I use it everytime by itself. It works by evening out the Hairs PH so it's best to use as a final rinse by itself. I use about 3/4 cup to 2 cups water. It always leaves my hair so soft. Make sure you let it sit in your hair for 2 min and then wash it completely out.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I use it as a final rinse or after I lather my shampoo i pour it on finish lathering and rinse out, got that tip from the dominicans.

Nonie

Final rinse. I use 1/4 cup in two gallons of water. Or 1:128 dilution.

Better to err on the side of caution. Very strong acidity can damage the protein of your hair. So better to go more dilute than you think you should go. Coz even a drop of ACV does make your water more acidic, so that's a plus. Why risk going overboard?

Lilmama1011

So everybody rinses it out and don't leave it in? Because on blackhairinformation.com they said to shampoo, then deep conditions and then apply 1teaspoon of acv with four cups of warm water and don't rinse

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
RemyRem said:
ok so i just bought bragg's organic apple cider vinegar and some rosemary oil. i was wondering about the proportions of ACV to water do use? And what types of other oils could i use with and what do they help with?

Any suggestions?

You don't use it with oils. You put it on and rinse if out. I use 3/4 cup to 2 parts water, pour it over my hair the last rinse and rinse it completely out. It leaves my hair soft everytime and the smell never lingers.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Lilmama1011 said:
So everybody rinses it out and don't leave it in? Because on blackhairinformation.com they said to shampoo, then deep conditions and then apply 1teaspoon of acv with four cups of warm water and don't rinse

You're supposed to rinse it out completely.

Nonie

Where did you get that from Lilmama1011? All the people who posted before you said they use it as a FINAL rinse. Meaning they do not wash it off. :look:

Nonie

You're supposed to rinse it out completely.

Says who? @PinkSunshine77 many of us don't rinse it out (notice most people above said it's their FINAL rinse). In fact, I have ACV rinse in a spritz bottle that I use whenever I want to change my twists' style to something else, since they are easier to work with when damp. Or if I'm in a hurry and cannot do the dunk, then I'll towel dry my hair after rinsing conditioner off, and spritz it till it's very wet and I'm sure every strand has been bathed by ACV. I have NOT rinsed ACV from my hair since 2004 when I first learned of it, and my wash is not complete until I have had ACV solution running through my hair and I airdry with it on.

This is my hair dripp-drying after an ACV rinse.

The idea of the rinse is to leave your hair acidic so that cuticles stay closed and hair doesn't tangle. Why would you want to rinse it off?

Lilmama1011

Nonie said:
Where did you get that from Lilmama1011? All the people who posted before you said they use it as a FINAL rinse. Meaning they do not wash it off. :look:

Thanks for clearing that up because I thought final rinse was that was the last thing they rinsed out their hair before styling their hair

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Nonie said:
Says who? @PinkSunshine77 many of us don't rinse it out (notice most people above said it's their FINAL rinse). In fact, I have ACV rinse in a spritz bottle that I use whenever I want to change my twists' style to something else, since they are easier to work with when damp. Or if I'm in a hurry and cannot do the dunk, then I'll towel dry my hair after rinsing conditioner off, and spritz it till it's very wet and I'm sure every strand has been bathed by ACV. I have NOT rinsed ACV from my hair since 2004 when I first learned of it, and my wash is not complete until I have had ACV solution running through my hair and I airdry with it on.

This is my hair dripp-drying after an ACV rinse.

The idea of the rinse is to leave your hair acidic so that cuticles stay closed and hair doesn't tangle. Why would you want to rinse it off?

I think y'all are doing it wrong. I can't understand why in the hell anyone WOULDNT rinse it out. Final rinse meaning rinse it completely out. You're not rinsing if you're leaving it in and not washing it out. That's what a rinse is.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
PinkSunshine the idea of leaving it in is as Nonie said it's to impart a particular ph level on your hair which allows your cuticles to close or lay flat. If you add more water on top of that you change the ph level and that then opens up or raises the cuticle again becauses of the higher ph level. It wouldn't be wrong to rinse after the acv but it would be then using acv for an alternative purpose than neutralizing the ph level of your hair.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
PinkSunshine the idea of leaving it in is as Nonie said it's to impart a particular ph level on your hair which allows your cuticles to close or lay flat. If you add more water on top of that you change the ph level and that then opens up or raises the cuticle again becauses of the higher ph level. It wouldn't be wrong to rinse after the acv but it would be then using acv for an alternative purpose than neutralizing the ph level of your hair.

What I did was found a girl on YT and followed her journey. I rinse it out completely and its done wonder for my hair and the PH of my hair is left in check. I would think leaving it in would be more harmful for your hair Ph because you're going to add leave in etc on top of that. Well, I guess everyone has their own way of doing it. I'll be doing rinsing it out completely like I have been for over a year. I'm left with nice soft hair and no vinegar smell :)

Lilmama1011

PinkSunshine77 said:
I think y'all are doing it wrong. I can't understand why in the hell anyone WOULDNT rinse it out. Final rinse meaning rinse it completely out. You're not rinsing if you're leaving it in and not washing it out. That's what a rinse is.

Ok so now I'm confused.... Because I thought what you just said but then someone says no, off to research or unless you can do both because I can see rinsing it out because once the acv does it thing and balances your ph then it's no need but then keep it in can probably keep it balanced, idk I'm confused

Lilmama1011

But I also see on yt some do it every week, so that's a possibility for me because I plan on working cowashing into my regimen

Nonie

Lilmama1011 I do my rinses at the end of every wash. Nix08 is right. Unless you are using distilled water, you may open up your hair cuticles. Also, my hair does not smell like vinegar. It smells like the essential oils in my rinse when my hair is wet and like conditioner when my hair dries. Applying leave in over hair that was rinsed with an ACV solution last doesn't give a different reaction as was suggested. If anything, hair may respond better. wavezncurlz shared the difference an ACV rinse made to her curls in the pinned thread of daily hairstyles.

But to each his (her) own. *shrug*

Last edited: