Absolute Beginner needs help / has questions

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I've been browsing this forum for about two weeks and just joined. This is my first post. :)
I've never washed my hair at home before. I've always gone to a salon. I can't afford to go to a salon anymore except for relaxers, so I could use some help.
My hair is relaxed. I have no idea what hair type I am -- I've tried looking and I can't figure it out. I've attached a picture, so if anyone wants to provide any clues they can.

What I desire
To get my hair to stop breaking off and shedding by taking care of it at home.

What I DO NOT want:
1. To avoid using hair rollers. If it comes down to it I can...
2. To use a flat iron! (If I have to... then I'll do it as little as possible)

I don't mind:
1. Using many products. I'm a product junkie. *hides*
2. Using a hair dryer. I've heard air drying until almost dry then using a dryer is a good
approach.
3. Taking vitamins. I already take biotin and flaxeed oil. I have good skin and nails, but
my hair is just sad right now.
4. Buying products online
5. Using natural products
6. Using essential oils

What I need help with:
How do I do a pre-shampoo? I've heard of a few products that I have in a .txt file some place.
Should I use a garlic shampoo for my hair breakage?
Do I use a garlic conditioner as well (if one exists)?
What kind of leave in treatment can I use?

Is this the order I should go in?:
1. Pre Shampoo
2. Shampoo
3. Conditioner

I want my hair to be nice and healthy, not break off or fall out wherever I go. It's getting really embarrassing, and I'm ashamed I can't do my own hair. :(
Thank you everyone for your help and patience. I'm an absolute beginner and I could use any help anyone has here. If this has already been covered, please feel free to send me the topic and I'll delete this as soon as possible.
Picture:

Last edited:

dreysonsmommy2011

Welcome to the forum:grin: I saw that you do not want to stop using your flat iron or not use it as little as possible??? What do you do to your hair on a daily basis. If you are flat ironing often that could be a possible cause for your breakage. Garlic shampoo will only help to curb shedding. If it is excessive breakage you may need to do a protein treatment. As far as shampooing I don't think there is really an order. Some people pre-poo,others don't. Some people just use conditioner as a shampoo(co-wash). If you were to pre-poo then your shampoo ordering is correct. If I were you I would try to find out what's causing your breakage. Is your hair dry? If so then you need to up the moisture. Do you deep condition your hair? How often do you wash ? Sorry so many questions just trying to help

Last edited:

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Answers to nikkipoo's questions :)

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. And oops! I made a mistake and I edited it. I meant to say I do not want to use a flat iron!

On a daily basis, I don't do anything at all, believe it or not. No flat iron (don't even own one) because my hair stays pretty straight and I like it like that.

Sounds like I do need a protein treatment. (And thanks for explaining what a co-wash is!)

My hair is a little dry, I add moisture (hair grease) but maybe I'm not doing it enough. I don't deep condition my hair, I don't even know how. :/ I've never washed at home either, so my hair ends up being washed every other week.

Bmack

WELCOME:D

I would suggest taking a simple approach.

I would first find a good shampoo & conditioner in addition to a good protien treatment.

I use Nexxus, and Pantene. I use Emergencee as a protien, as well as Aphogee. try to stick to what works best. If you use too many products you can't find out whats contributing benefits and whats taking them away.

I have used Keracare which is the Bomb!!! and Salerm which is also great.

You may also want to try stretching a little longer. If you do every six weeks try waiting until 8-12 weeks instead.

I do that amount of time. I do not see the reason to wait longer then that..but thats just my opinion.

I don't know if I would use any grease or oils. If I did it would be lightly. I hate a greasy arse wrap!!!!:mad: lol. Its lile why get a do that is supposed to be bouncy to grease it all up....ya know.

vitamins work, and lots of water.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Thanks for the good suggestions so far! Keep it comin... going to the hair store on Friday. Can't wait now, I'm excited.

camellia

Welcome, alundra!:)

I'd start with finding a good moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner, a protein reconstructer and a good clarifying shampoo. I use Alterna and Nexxus Phyto Organics products mostly, you can buy them at a salon or order them online, but the ladies here are excellent when it comes to product recommendations.

Grease doesn't provide moisture, water or water based leave in conditioner and moisturizers do. You can use grease or an oil or butter for sealing the moisture in but I wouldn't recommend using it alone.

Deep conditioning is not hard at all. Here's how I do it:

I apply the deep conditioner to my freshly shampooed hair (some ladies like to add things to their conditioner like honey or oils, I do, but it's certainly not required)

I put a plastic cap on over my conditioner coated hair and then take a hot towel, fresh from the dryer, and wrap it over the cap.

I leave it on for about 45 minutes to an hour and then rinse it all out.

Try searching for some of the things your interested in, it seems like there's a thread on just about everything here.:)

newflowers

You will find tons and tons of great help and wonderful suggestions here - try checking the archives for past threads; before I joined, I spent over a week reading them.

One suggestion I will make is to be careful when you wash your hair. Never having done so, note that what you see on commercials is not really true; if you wash your hair like that, you would end up with a mad tangled mess that would take forever to comb out later. Make sure you hair detangle first. Make sure that you do not add tangle when washing.

Maybe you can check outthe Crown and Glory website - that method of washing may be very easy for a beginner to follow.

Good luck and keep us posted.