A New Henna Thread

Khadija.D.Carryl

The katam can be used if you want reddish brown tones.

But usually you can use either katam or indigo. I don't usually hear of others using both at the same time. But it might be an interesting combination. Not sure how effective it would be.

Are you doing a one step process or two step? If you do a two step, with the indigo, you may get better results.

LadyD

The katam can be used if you want reddish brown tones.

But usually you can use either katam or indigo. I don't usually hear of others using both at the same time. But it might be an interesting combination. Not sure how effective it would be.

Are you doing a one step process or two step? If you do a two step, with the indigo, you may get better results.

I will do a two step. I tried it before and it didn't work. I will try a different henna this time and see if it makes a difference.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I will do a two step. I tried it before and it didn't work. I will try a different henna this time and see if it makes a difference.

How long are you leaving the henna on your hair?
When I do my 2-step process, I leave my henna on for at least 3-4 hours; with 4-5 hours max. Some people keep it in overnight, but I've never had to.

LadyD

How long are you leaving the henna on your hair?
When I do my 2-step process, I leave my henna on for at least 3-4 hours; with 4-5 hours max. Some people keep it in overnight, but I've never had to.

I left the henna on for 2 hours.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I left the henna on for 2 hours.

Leave the henna on longer; try doubling the time to 4 or 5 hours. Leave your indigo on for 3 hours.

Doing a henna and indigo takes the better part of a day if you want to be sure and cover the grays especially if you have resistant grays.

joytimes10

I'm officially in the henna "club". After reading this thread completely, I can see the things I did wrong.

1. I mixed my Karishma with pure filtered water on Wed. night planning to henna on Thursday night. I didn't have a chance to use it until Sunday. I know now that I should have frozen the concoction on Thursday.

2. I did not leave the henna on my hair long enough. I left it on for about 2 hours (45 min w/ heat under a hooded dryer

So, my results are wonderful in terms of added strength of my strands. I rinsed out the henna w/ VO5 Strawberry Moisture Milks condish. It came out very easily. I then DC w/ AO HSR and WC mixed w/ EVOO and coconut oil w/ heat. I added too much oil to my mix so I had to do a quick rinse w/ some Giovanni tea tree poo (mistake #3). I then saturated my hair w/ Hairveda 24/7, did a quick cold rinse, leaving in most of the 24/7, squeezed out the excess moisture and air dried in a pony. I sealed my ends w/coconut oil and shea butter also.

Two, days later, today I'm loving how strong my hair feels. My hair isn't dry either. It's soft and moisturized. I took down my bun last night and comb though my hair throughly. I lost maybe 10 strands. That is huge for me. I usually shed/break 50 hair/day. I'm not so pleased with the color deposit. My grays are a cooper color. I want more auburn/burgundy. So I will henna again in 2 weeks to improve on the color. Any ideas for achieving a deeper redish tinge, for those of you who use Karishma? TIA

Charz

Sinister Minister
Hey,

This thread is so long! Can someone tell me how to achieve a more brown color in regards to henna?

Thank you :)

I don't use Karishma, but I use Jamila, mixed with paprika, on me and my daughters hair. We both have a deep burgundy color. It's very pretty in the sunlight!

Muse

I'm officially in the henna "club". After reading this thread completely, I can see the things I did wrong.

1. I mixed my Karishma with pure filtered water on Wed. night planning to henna on Thursday night. I didn't have a chance to use it until Sunday. I know now that I should have frozen the concoction on Thursday.

2. I did not leave the henna on my hair long enough. I left it on for about 2 hours (45 min w/ heat under a hooded dryer

So, my results are wonderful in terms of added strength of my strands. I rinsed out the henna w/ VO5 Strawberry Moisture Milks condish. It came out very easily. I then DC w/ AO HSR and WC mixed w/ EVOO and coconut oil w/ heat. I added too much oil to my mix so I had to do a quick rinse w/ some Giovanni tea tree poo (mistake #3). I then saturated my hair w/ Hairveda 24/7, did a quick cold rinse, leaving in most of the 24/7, squeezed out the excess moisture and air dried in a pony. I sealed my ends w/coconut oil and shea butter also.

Two, days later, today I'm loving how strong my hair feels. My hair isn't dry either. It's soft and moisturized. I took down my bun last night and comb though my hair throughly. I lost maybe 10 strands. That is huge for me. I usually shed/break 50 hair/day. I'm not so pleased with the color deposit. My grays are a cooper color. I want more auburn/burgundy. So I will henna again in 2 weeks to improve on the color. Any ideas for achieving a deeper redish tinge, for those of you who use Karishma? TIA

I love Karishma! I will be using this over Jamila now. I got a nice dark burgundy color from it, not orange at all. I just mix water with mine so that I don't inhibit dye uptake on the hair. Also the more you use it the darker and richer the color will become. You will probably get the darker color in another treatment or two.

dcprdiva

:yay:I just got my first order of henna! I ordered 20 boxes of Jamila and 1 kg of Rajasthan henna in 100g packs. I also got a sample of Yemen and Henna for African hair. I am definitely going to do it once a week for awhile.

I am hoping it will take me from this :hair: to this :afro:

:pulpdance:

:happydance:
:yahoo:
:woohoo:
:woohoo2:

I haven't gone thru this entire thread yet but do you have an update on your weekly henna?

vkb247

I used henna 3 times in 8 days and had no dryness and I got a great burgundy color using Jamila BAQ henna. Than I got really busy and started braiding my hair so I just did my fourth henna.

My hair felt great after this application. I don't know if it because of the henna building up or because I mixed it a little differently. The first 3 times I mixed room temp. water with ACV, mixed my henna and ltt it sit for a few hours, froze it, defrosted and applied.
This time I mixed with only room temperature water, applied after a few hours of sitting, and slept with it in overnight. I also used Rajasthani henna this time.

My hair definitely felt bigger after this last application. I want to henna again but I just got my hair flat twisted into an updo that I am going to try to keep for atleast 2 weeks.

Last edited:

vkb247

There is nothing wrong with shampooing after applying henna. It won't make the henna come off and for some people pooing after henna is the best way to get rid of the drying residue that is left over.

baddison

natural for good
There is nothing wrong with shampooing after applying henna. It won't make the henna come off and for some people pooing after henna is the best way to get rid of the drying residue that is left over.

YUP!!:yep: Here! Here! I do one pass of shampoo with my C.O.N. ultra moisturizing (discontinued green label...) right after I rinse my henna. My hair is soo moist, its simply amazing. The more I do it, the more I love henna'ing... :heart2:

sweetnlow06

Bought Nupur Henna about a week or two ago, just now able to try it. Will sleep in it and see how it works for me. I was using Dulhan from my local Indian store, but after the good reviews on Nupur, I decided to try it out since they also sold this brand. When I first started using Henna I bought from Hennaforhair.com, so it was nice to know the local store sold BAQ henna. I am relaxed w/ some grey hair in there so I will be doing Indigo right after.

sweetnlow06

Found my new henna love w/ Nupur Henna. Loved it! The consistency was very smooth, unlike the previous kinds I have used. It was easy to rinse out and my hair came out soft. I added a little conditioner and a little of the Ojon restorative hair treatment. I also used Indigo afterwards. I still have quite a few boxes of Dulhan that I will use if I am unable to get Nupur.

baddison

natural for good
Found my new henna love w/ Nupur Henna. Loved it! The consistency was very smooth, unlike the previous kinds I have used. It was easy to rinse out and my hair came out soft. I added a little conditioner and a little of the Ojon restorative hair treatment. I also used Indigo afterwards. I still have quite a few boxes of Dulhan that I will use if I am unable to get Nupur.

This is what I've been been saying..LOL!! NUPUR HENNA is the best henna on the planet...:lachen:

I have purchased some RESHMA, and its good too...but NUPUR is my :love2: :heart2: :love: :heart::grin:

sweetnlow06

This is what I've been been saying..LOL!! NUPUR HENNA is the best henna on the planet...:lachen:

I have purchased some RESHMA, and its good too...but NUPUR is my :love2: :heart2: :love: :heart::grin:

Thanks for the reviews!!! I love when I find a product that works. Would not have known about a lot of them if I had not found this site. Gotta love LHCF!!

deusa80

Ok, this is a really long(and informative) thread and I read through most of it. Seems like most people here are using henna but I'm thinking of trying Cassia Obovata and saw some $1 samples from mehandi.com...has anyone ever used these? Is Cassia Obovata just as easy to find as henna?
I don't wanna try the henna because I don't want to add any color to my hair at the moment(though it's not guaranteed that I'll get color with henna right..?). Anyway, I just want it more for the conditioning effects and making my hair thicker...

fyb87

Ok, this is a really long(and informative) thread and I read through most of it. Seems like most people here are using henna but I'm thinking of trying Cassia Obovata and saw some $1 samples from mehandi.com...has anyone ever used these? Is Cassia Obovata just as easy to find as henna?
I don't wanna try the henna because I don't want to add any color to my hair at the moment(though it's not guaranteed that I'll get color with henna right..?). Anyway, I just want it more for the conditioning effects and making my hair thicker...

I liked Cassia. Only used it once then started doing Henna 100g and Cassia 220g Treatments. I absolutely love it and will continue to do them. So far it's been once or twice a month. Covers the 10 or so grays I have wondefully too I might add!!

cookie1

I've been lurking in the Henna threads to learn what I need to know so that I can give it a try. PrettyfaceANB has helped me out alot. I've ordered my first batch of Henna (Karishma) and other Ayurveda (rinse) products. I'm going to see how my color turn out with just using the Henna before I decide if I'll actually use Indigo (which I ordered).

Question: I've ordered Cassia and would like to know if I can use it after the Henna, for the shine, and if so, how do I incorporate it into the Henna?

Aggie

Sorry but I just had to take those braids down. Even with the hairline redone, I realized that it they would still look crappy so I took them out last night, henna'ed my hair and slept with it in my hair all night. I cowashed the henna out this morning with Suave Humectant and Porosity Control Conditioner. I then deep conditioned with Joico Color Endure and Jason Naturals Jojoba Conditioner to protect my henna color. I will keep the DC in all day so I can get the suppleness back in my hair.

ETA: I made my henna without adding conditioner this time and realized something - the henna washed out a whole lot easier this time then when I used the gloss. I still like the gloss mind you, but the easy removal has somewhat altered how I will be hennaing my hair moving forward. When I want to use a henna cowash mixed with other powders and lots of conditioner, I will make it a gloss then for conditioning only and not necessarily for color deposit.

Last edited:

cookie1

After reading 4 pages of post here are my Henna (Karishma) questions:
1. Is it recommended not to use lemon juice? If small amounts is okay, what do you suggest?
2. Should I be mixing the henna w/ tea? If yes, do I make it like I would drink it (a cup) and pour it in?
3. Do I have to let the Henna sit overnight (I want the color)?
4. How long do I let it sit on my head? Do I have to use Saran wrap? Can I use a plastic cap?
5. Should I use heat?
6. Should I clarify first? Do I wash it out with Poo or Con?