A New Henna Thread

Aggie

I'll answer the ones I know about from my own experiences...

After reading 4 pages of post here are my Henna (Karishma) questions:

1. Is it recommended not to use lemon juice? If small amounts is okay, what do you suggest?
African Americans have naturally dry air and it is recommended to hold the lemon juice but if you are anxious for the color to release quickly add just a little bit of it to your henna mix. (personally, I do not add lemon juice because of an extremely drying experience I've had with it. I even had breakage so for me, this is a :nono:. My hair is wayy too fine for this anyway.

2. Should I be mixing the henna w/ tea? I
f yes, do I make it like I would drink it (a cup) and pour it in? You may or may not mix with tea but if you do, it should have the consistency of a yogurt-like paste. I do not use tea but many ladies do. I am uncertain of the actual benefits of adding tea to henna.

3. Do I have to let the Henna sit overnight (I want the color)?
There are differnet ways you can do this. For example, I just henna'ed my hair last night. What I did was made the henna, allowed it to sit for only about an hour applied it to my hair and slept in it overnight. The color released while it was in my hair and I washed it out this morning to save a whole lotta time.

4. How long do I let it sit on my head? Do I have to use Saran wrap? Can I use a plastic cap?
I feel that if you do not wrap it tight enough, air gets to it and it starts to dry up and this would make it harder to wash out, hence breakage might result. So what I do is wrap my hair first, then put a plastic cap over it to secure it better. Now in refernece to how long you let it sit: You can also let the color release a few more hours (6-10 hours) to overnight and apply the henna the next morning and let it sit on your hair for about 2-4 hours, cowash and DC as usual.

5. Should I use heat?
You can use heat if you like but this is not absolutely necessary for the color to deposit into your hair. I do it if I don't have too much time on my hand and I want quick results, however, I found a way around that by sleeping with it in my hair now.

6. Should I clarify first? Do I wash it out with Poo or Con?
In order for the henna to deposit color really well, it is recommended to clarify the hair first just in case there is some product buildup on the cuticle. I would recommend deep conditioning since henna is pretty drying, although you'd need to DC again afterwards as well to restore the suppleness of your hair.

Hope this helps a little bit and that others would chime in with their experinces as well.

cookie1

They say freezing henna can help make the dye more intense. My pre freezing color release was the same as post freezing but freezing the henna definitely made it less clumpy.

So did you freeze it right after mixing it? How long did you freeze it and how lond did you let it thaw? How long did you let it sit on your hair?

cookie1

Hello everyone. :wave:

I have tried at least 4 brands of henna, with Karishma Henna being the best I have ever used. It glides on my hair and leaves it very silky-- even after washing it out.

Please share your recipe for Karishma.

Also Ladies,
As for conditioners to use after I henna, should I look for the ones for color treated hair?

Last edited:

vkb247

After reading 4 pages of post here are my Henna (Karishma) questions:
1. Is it recommended not to use lemon juice? If small amounts is okay, what do you suggest?
You don't have to use an acid to develop and an acid will make your hair dry (or more dry than it would have been without). My hair loves ACV so I used that in my first 3 hennas and had good results.

2. Should I be mixing the henna w/ tea? If yes, do I make it like I would drink it (a cup) and pour it in?
You can if you want. Some ladies have been using tea rinses to reduce hair loss (I think) so it can probably do double duty this way.

3. Do I have to let the Henna sit overnight (I want the color)?
Longer = More intense color but you can get some color in just an hour

4. How long do I let it sit on my head? Do I have to use Saran wrap? Can I use a plastic cap?
I use a plastic cap, paper towel (twisted and put around the edges), a trash bag (tied like a scarf), more paper towel, sometimes another plastic cap, and then a wave cap, bonnet, or knitted cap in that order to keep it all in one place. I keep it in about 4 hours.
5. Should I use heat?
It seems like heat would kill the henna but I really don't know.

6. Should I clarify first? Do I wash it out with Poo or Con?
I think that if you clarify first you will end up with super dry hair. I cowash first after learning that Curly Nikki does hers this way and she cowashes with a conditioner that has cones and still gets great results.

So did you freeze it right after mixing it? How long did you freeze it and how lond did you let it thaw? How long did you let it sit on your hair?
I mixed with room temperature water and a little ACV. Let is sit for a couple of hours (the color developed in this short amount of time), then I put it in the freezer overnight and took it out to defrost when I woke up in the morning. It shouldn't take that long to freeze I just left it that long because of when I mixed it. It takes a couple of hours for it to defrost but I have made it defrost faster by placing my container in another container filled with hot water.

ETA: I made my henna without adding conditioner this time and realized something - the henna washed out a whole lot easier this time then when I used the gloss.

That's really interesting. I never would have thought that condititioner made it harder to rinse out.

Ok, this is a really long(and informative) thread and I read through most of it. Seems like most people here are using henna but I'm thinking of trying Cassia Obovata and saw some $1 samples from mehandi.com...has anyone ever used these? Is Cassia Obovata just as easy to find as henna?
I don't wanna try the henna because I don't want to add any color to my hair at the moment(though it's not guaranteed that I'll get color with henna right..?). Anyway, I just want it more for the conditioning effects and making my hair thicker...

I have used cassia before and it did give me great curls right after doing it but its effects are only temporary. Because it is only temporary it can't thicken hair like henna. If your hair is naturally dark than henna won't give you much color.

Aggie

That's really interesting. I never would have thought that condititioner made it harder to rinse out.

Remember now, this was MY experience but it may not be the same for everyone. It was not hard to rinse out, it simply took longer to do so with conditioner in it. I did post my responses to Cookie1's questions according to my own experiences with henna, not anyone else's. I believe that Cookie1 can get a lot of advice from us but in the end, her hair may not respond well to any of them. She will have to by trial and error, use different methods to see which one is best suited for HER hair. She is of course, doing the right thing by seeking advice from many of the veteran henna users on this board. In a lot of cases, no 2 cases are exactly the same because of the many hair textures, strengths, length, health, thickness, natural, chemically enhanced, etc.

ETA: By the way, I would always clarify my hair about 2-3 days before using henna on my hair just like I do before a relaxer. Heat never stopped or altered the results of my henna color depositing on my hair. In fact, it deposited a lot faster. But now I sleep with henna on my hair to save on a lot of day hours. Ayurveda hair care to me, is not an exact science. You have to play with a bit to see what your hair can and cannot handle.

If you have to do patch tests Cookie1 to make sure, then do that. You can learn what your hair needs that way before going all the way.

Last edited:

Platinum

Henna'ing with Nupur right now. I usually use Jamila but I wanted to try this one. I plan to continue using henna to help me transition.

ceebee3

I used the Henna and Indigo from Mehandi a few weeks ago and I love the results.

I mixed my henna with water and let it sit for 12 hours before applying to my slightly damp hair. I rinsed with conditioner and applied the indigo for an hour.

The color and the shine is incredible, not to mention the strength. I noticed right away that my hair felt thicker.

I will be sticking to this routine to keep my hair jet black, shiny, and strong.

Thanks to you all.

deusa80

I have used cassia before and it did give me great curls right after doing it but its effects are only temporary. Because it is only temporary it can't thicken hair like henna. If your hair is naturally dark than henna won't give you much color.

Thanks. My hair is naturally dark but I have natural light brown highlights that I like...would the henna change the color of those?
Is the henna color permanent?

ladylibra

So, I am probably the only one who adds a ton of lemon juice to mix henna with... :look: I also add cinnamon, and right before I put the henna on my hair I mix honey in to help combat dryness.

Can't wait for next week, when I defrost my henna and do another application! :lick:

Aggie

I can't wait to henna my hair again this weekend. I will be doing it without conditioner again but I will be adding some oils to it. I think I will do one weekly until I put in my extension braids around the middle of next month:yep:.

Aggie

Thanks. My hair is naturally dark but I have natural light brown highlights that I like...would the henna change the color of those?

Yes the highlights color would be enhanced with the henna and as far as it being permanent, I'd say it washes out over time but not quickly at all. It really stays on very long but in my experience, it does wash off after quite a few months. That is why I redo it every 4-6 weeks. I haven't had permanent results with it and that is why I'm increasing the frequency of using it (every 2-3 weeks) seeing that it's natural and won't really harm my hair. It is afterall a conditioner and strengthener as well.

charmtreese

Question: Can you henna one week and then Indigo a week later with good results?

I've read through this entire thread, and I'm very excited! This weeked will be my first henna application!!! Yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Bun Mistress

I know this has probably been asked before or at least brought up in the forum but here is my henna issue. It really dries out and tangles my hair for weeks. I henna overnight and then rinse, rinse, rinse, half a bottle of Conditioner, then shampoo, more conditioner, and then DC. And my hair a tangled HAM for weeks later. I did have a successful Cassia pre-poo with tons of oil/conditioner one time (and that was just ok). The worst part is now I have breakage so I had to use protein on my ends to stop this! I think this stuff just doesn't work for me. Which is a same. I don't even want to tray it again. I'm going to have to stick with protein treatments I guess. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just throw in the towel?? Whoever has the best answer can have my 5 boxes of Jamila BAQ henna (new crop).

Last edited:

vkb247

No problem! Everything I have read says henna is permanent and very hard to remove if you don't want the red color anymore. It will definitely change the color of your highlights.

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

^^^^^ What are you mixing your henna with? What is your henna process?

Last time henna, green tea, glycerin (replaced honey) overnight. Then I did what I stated before. I have washed my hair three times since then and it is still straw like and tangled. :wallbash:

vkb247

I would try to change your mix if it isn't working for you. Maybe just try water and then add one thing at a time. I don't know how much liquid you are adding to your mix but try adding more water than normal. When I mix up my henna I notice that it can soak up a lot of water so I have a theory that not mixing henna with enough will make it dry water from the hair instead.

It is hard for me to give more suggestions without knowing how you henna. Do you wash/cowash before you henna? Do you wash or cowash right after and what do you use to that?

You said you have washed three times and your hair is still tangly? Stop washing! Especially if you are doing it with poo. Try dcing your hair or just cover it in conditioner and wear a shower cap for a little while to let it soften up and take it from there.

hurricane

Last time henna, green tea, glycerin (replaced honey) overnight. Then I did what I stated before. I have washed my hair three times since then and it is still straw like and tangled. :wallbash:

Idunno:perplexed. Did your hair stay moist over night or did the henna dry in your hair?:perplexed What was your hair like before you hennaed? Did you pre-poo? I'm curious. I think that it is more to your hair story.:look:

Bun Mistress

Ok I'll start from the begin. This was my 3rd henna since Feb. I always (except once) clarify wash then apply, for a few hours to overnight, rinse, con, shampoo, DC, twist. First time with lemon juice and water. I got a nice color but had the same problem very tangle took at least a month to go away. I did it again in March with water and Cassia and had a similar problem that went away in a few weeks. The gloss I did in June was not that bad applied on dry hair as a pre-poo, but I really didn't see any great results. This past henna was two weeks ago. Same process used green tea this time and same problem. I wash twice a week to today was my three wash since then. I usual don't poo but I did last week because I though maybe there is some henna residue left. That didn't seem to help. I think I got the break because of the tangles, and the tangles are definitely worse since the henna treatment. I think I'm just going to stick with protein. I'm just not getting this awesome conditioning and it is making my hair worse.

vkb247

I usually don't poo either so I cowash before I henna and I only use conditioner to wash it out. Maybe all that pooing is causing the problem.

hurricane

Ok I'll start from the begin. This was my 3rd henna since Feb. I always (except once) clarify wash then apply, for a few hours to overnight, rinse, con, shampoo, DC, twist. First time with lemon juice and water. I got a nice color but had the same problem very tangle took at least a month to go away. I did it again in March with water and Cassia and had a similar problem that went away in a few weeks. The gloss I did in June was not that bad applied on dry hair as a pre-poo, but I really didn't see any great results. This past henna was two weeks ago. Same process used green tea this time and same problem. I wash twice a week to today was my three wash since then. I usual don't poo but I did last week because I though maybe there is some henna residue left. That didn't seem to help. I think I got the break because of the tangles, and the tangles are definitely worse since the henna treatment. I think I'm just going to stick with protein. I'm just not getting this awesome conditioning and it is making my hair worse.

Hmmm. Sorry to hear this. If you would like to try this again, I would suggest this. Make a tea out of methi ( fenugreek), brahmi, and hibiscus these are moisturizing powders. Use the strain tea and mix it with your henna. Honey is good and some coconut oil.

If someone else has another moisturizing recipe please post.

Aggie

Question: Can you henna one week and then Indigo a week later with good results?

I've read through this entire thread, and I'm very excited! This weeked will be my first henna application!!! Yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you can Charmtreese. As long as henna has been deposited on the hair, you can indigo afterwards, whether immediately or a week even 2 later.

Aggie

No problem! Everything I have read says henna is permanent and very hard to remove if you don't want the red color anymore. It will definitely change the color of your highlights.

In my experience it isn't. I know this because of my gray strands. They do not stay copper, Eventually it washes off over a few months and the entire gray strand is evidnet and is no longer copper if I don't reapply henna on a regular basis. Maybe it's just my gray strands that doesn't keep the henna color in over time, I dunno:ohwell::look:. They are what I have been using as a mark on how long the coloring lasts.

Bun Mistress

Idunno:perplexed. Did your hair stay moist over night or did the henna dry in your hair?:perplexed What was your hair like before you hennaed? Did you pre-poo? I'm curious. I think that it is more to your hair story.:look:

My hair never dired out overnight, I always pre-poo'ed and my hair really was better before I henna'ed. Which is why I'm asking myself why am I mkaing my hair worse? I transtioning now but before I wasn't so I don't think that was it either. I don't use cones anymore (or rarely). I have not idea what the problem is.:nono:

halocj

Can somebody please tell me where to get indigo from?is this also a product frm India or is it any indigo brand. I got very confused when I seen mood indigo n the BS it was very blue. I don't wanta mess up my 1st henna. Thanks n advance

charmtreese

Yes you can Charmtreese. As long as henna has been deposited on the hair, you can indigo afterwards, whether immediately or a week even 2 later.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was able to find Karishma henna at my local Indian store, however I didnt have as much luck with the indigo. I may have to order this.

Where is a good online store to get indigo from?

MsEllie

I think this Saturday will be my forth time using henna. My mix is.

1 tbs lemon juice
Water
Jamila Henna
2 tbs coconut oil

I let that stew over night for color release then I put it on my hair (just cowashed) - didn't like the feel on dry hair. I leave it on for about 5 hours

Then I Indigo and leave that on for at least 3 hours. I am using this for strength, thickness and to hide the gray hairs I have..

One day I'm going to get brave and leave the Indigo alone and try for the burgundy color... not just yet though.

My hair has never been dry after using henna. I love it. Its a staple in my hair regimen.

charmtreese

Ive mixed my henna and Im gonna put it in my hair later tonight and sleep with it on. However I wanted to know do you keep it sitting out on the counter or put it in the refrigerator until Im ready for it?