A New Henna Thread

Shadiyah

well so far so good my hair is still wet but from what I can tell it is redder or orange I thought it would be darker because of the other powders that were added. I want to see how my hair is going to react to nupur so I will talk about it later this week.

HauteHippie

HauteHippie I just read your post again and I see that you say how nupur has indigo in it and do you mean that you put indigo in your batch? because what I purchased doesn't have indigo in it.

Shadiyah

You're absolutely right! I was reading stuff on Amazon, but when I went back I saw that they'd done a henndigo by adding indigo. Still, my hair is darker (but a pretty color) so I will be using cassia next time.

Shadiyah

for the very first time in the 3 yrs that I have been growing my hair I am having some itching to my scalp after I have used the nurpur. Tell me has anyone else had this problem when it came to this product? this is the only thing that i could narrow it down to the only other thing that is new is the Amla oil and I only use it for one day after i was reminded of the odor I could not stand it and washed it out of my hair but I am still itching. it is a same because I really like nurpur. but please tell me.

Platinum

I'm way overdue for a henna treatment so I'll probably do it soon. I'm thinking about ordering Cassia since I haven't used it in a while and I don't want a reddish color.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Pompous Blue

I tweaked my henna mix by leaving out the lemon juice.

My mix now includes Jamila or Karishma henna, coconut milk, black walnut hull powder mixed with herbal tea and marshmallow root tea.

I mix and immediately apply it and do not pre-oil my hair with coconut oil or vatika frosting before applying the henna.

My herbal tea consists of (Bhringraj, Amla, Shikaki, Hibiscus and Green Tea Extract). I make about 32 oz. at a time and refrigerate it.

And finally, I'm keeping in rotation the cocoa powder and katam herb until I use them up. I find the black walnut hull powder gives me the best dark brown color without the red tone. (even my 10 grey hairs are dark brown instead of copper red.)

greenandchic

I did a henna mix the other day using Jamila henna, cocoa powder, and black tea. I think the tea and the cocoa cancelled out a lot of the red from the henna.

Shadiyah

well I think I found out what was itching my head because it stop so it was not the nupur like I thought it was. I can not wait to do it again but I have to be careful how many times I apply henna to my hair because of it acting like a protein and my hair hates protein but the end of the month will be here before you know it.

nubiennze

Pompous Blue I intend to use black walnut hull powder to push the color more toward mahogany than red/burgundy as well. What are the ratios in your new mix? How long do you leave your mix on after applying, and do you use heat? Have you been able to maintain a consistent dark brown color (i.e. not increasingly red) with repeated applications? TIA, and sorry for bombarding you with questions, lol.

I tweaked my henna mix by leaving out the lemon juice.

My mix now includes Jamila or Karishma henna, coconut milk, black walnut hull powder mixed with herbal tea and marshmallow root tea.

I mix and immediately apply it and do not pre-oil my hair with coconut oil or vatika frosting before applying the henna.

My herbal tea consists of (Bhringraj, Amla, Shikaki, Hibiscus and Green Tea Extract). I make about 32 oz. at a time and refrigerate it.

And finally, I'm keeping in rotation the cocoa powder and katam herb until I use them up. I find the black walnut hull powder gives me the best dark brown color without the red tone. (even my 10 grey hairs are dark brown instead of copper red.)

Pompous Blue

@Pompous Blue I intend to use black walnut hull powder to push the color more toward mahogany than red/burgundy as well. What are the ratios in your new mix? How long do you leave your mix on after applying, and do you use heat? Have you been able to maintain a consistent dark brown color (i.e. not increasingly red) with repeated applications? TIA, and sorry for bombarding you with questions, lol.
nubiennze

Ratio - 50 MG henna, 50 MG Black Walnut Hull powder. My hair is short (less than 8". So that's all I need)

Because I want to keep the ratio like this, I mix it with an ayurvedic tea: hibiscus, bhringraj, amla, shikaki and green tea extract.

I mix and immediately apply it and steam for 1.5hrs.

Co-wash it out.

I've done two applications and the color is the same both times. I did them 12 days apart.

I hate the red color o fhenna and have always added Katam, cocoa powder or black walnut hull powder to my henna. Black Walnut Hull powder has given me a consistently dark brown color. No red; not even the 10 greys on my front edges. They are no long copper red.

HTH

Shadiyah

ok I applied nupur to my hair again and I tell you my hair is starting to look like I have a perm. My hair is looking straighter and I am loosing my curl. I don't want to give up my color so I will have to think about this one, which is more important.

classoohfive

ok I applied nupur to my hair again and I tell you my hair is starting to look like I have a perm. My hair is looking straighter and I am loosing my curl. I don't want to give up my color so I will have to think about this one, which is more important.

Shadiyah, Have you looked into adding amla? It's supposed to help you keep your curl (or at least lessen how much of it you lose).

BlackMasterPiece

Shadiyah do you have a post where you outline your henna mix? If not can you please break it down for me? I wanna start using more natural protien:yep:

Shadiyah

Shadiyah do you have a post where you outline your henna mix? If not can you please break it down for me? I wanna start using more natural protien:yep:

BlackMasterPiece here are the 9 herbs that are in nupur henna. I just started using it a couple months ago. but I love it.

Shikakai - Leaves hair clean & shining
Aloe Vera - Moisturises hair & makes it silky
Methi (Fenugreek) - Conditions, nourishes and revitalizes hair
Bhringraj - Makes hair luxuriant
Amla - Darkens hair colour, adds shine & luster
Neem - Fights scalp infection and prevents dandruff
Hibiscus - Rejuvenates hair, making it silky and shiny
Jatamansi - Prevents graying of hair
Brahmi - Promotes hair growth

There is nothing extra I use except adding water to my henna. I use to use lemon juice but because the drying I stop. I let my henna sit over night before I use it and I let it sit on my hair over night also.

BlackMasterPiece

Shadiyah oh well thats easy to follow! Thanks, maybe I'll do orange juice in the place of lemon, I've heard lemon really dries the hair out but I also read that it helps with dye release? So just straight nupur henna with water for you then huh. Lemme go look to see if you already wrote where you purchase it from.

Do you think this is ok to use a regular basis like once a week/bi-weekly?

Do you know if this is ok on previously bleached hair?

greenandchic

BlackMasterPiece here are the 9 herbs that are in nupur henna. I just started using it a couple months ago. but I love it.

Shikakai - Leaves hair clean & shining
Aloe Vera - Moisturises hair & makes it silky
Methi (Fenugreek) - Conditions, nourishes and revitalizes hair
Bhringraj - Makes hair luxuriant
Amla - Darkens hair colour, adds shine & luster
Neem - Fights scalp infection and prevents dandruff
Hibiscus - Rejuvenates hair, making it silky and shiny
Jatamansi - Prevents graying of hair
Brahmi - Promotes hair growth

There is nothing extra I use except adding water to my henna. I use to use lemon juice but because the drying I stop. I let my henna sit over night before I use it and I let it sit on my hair over night also.

How easy/hard is it to wash out vs other types of BAQ henna? I love how inexpensive it is!

mnemosyne

You can get it (Nupur) on 28th b/t Park and Lex at Butala Emporium. Kalustyans also has it. It was 2.99 the last time I went to Butala.

leiah

You can get it (Nupur) on 28th b/t Park and Lex at Butala Emporium. Kalustyans also has it. It was 2.99 the last time I went to Butala.

They have their own brand now too called Mathas that is really good. I tried it last week it is really smooth and didn't leave my hair hard or dry at all. they sell henna, indigo, a blend of henna & indigo and a "brown" henna that has coffee and some herbs mixed in. i might try that one next

That was the first time i've ever used "fresh" henna (the date on the package was nov 2011) and it was a huge change. $4 for a package.

mnemosyne

They have their own brand now too called Mathas that is really good. I tried it last week it is really smooth and didn't leave my hair hard or dry at all. they sell henna, indigo, a blend of henna & indigo and a "brown" henna that has coffee and some herbs mixed in. i might try that one next

That was the first time i've ever used "fresh" henna (the date on the package was nov 2011) and it was a huge change. $4 for a package.

Save it, the lady behind the counter always gives you tips on what to add... it's just instant coffee grounds. She said she sometimes adds and egg to it for extra protein.

classoohfive

classoohfive if you mean the powder it is already in nupur. My front is more like a wave now. I am waiting to see if I love it or hate.

Yeah, the powder. Oops, I didn't know it was already in it. I wonder how much. I was told (by Hennablogspot.com) to use 3-4 tbsp per 100g of henna to keep my curl. The first time I did henna I only used about 2-3, the second time I used about 4. I didn't lose as much curl the second time on my NG and the curl I did lose bounced back quicker.

Shadiyah

I purchase my nupur from http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/products/Godrej-Nupur-Henna-Mehandi-9-Herbs-Blend.html I really don't know about bleach hair but I have not heard of any henna that was bad for colored or bleached hair. I do know that if you are going to apply it to the bleach hair that your color will be dynamite if you like bright red.

I have gotten my curl back in the front of my hair by bagging for a whole day and then I did a deep conditioner with the heating cap once I was finish all of that in 2 days I notice that my front is curling back up.

greenandchic

Anyone know if Nupur Henna is ok on previously bleached hair?/color treated hair?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I hennaed my hair years ago after I got highlights (1993-1994) and it was bright red. I liked it a lot and don't remember any long term repercussions from it other than the damage from the highlights themselves.

Sent from my ADR6350 using ADR6350

Platinum

meesch said:
is "superior quality henna" the same as body art quality?

meesch is this product in a black, red, and gold package? I believe I bought a henna with that name a few years ago during my relaxed days. I was afraid to use it because I thought that it may have contained metallic salts. If I'm mistaken, I apologize. Maybe Henna sooq can answer that question.