A New Henna Thread

guudhair

Since the Karishma has herbs in it all ready, do I still need to add more amla?

Is adding the tea water used to make a darker hair color?

Last edited:

guudhair

For those of you who order from Mehandi, am I suppose to get the Body Art Quality Henna for African Hair?

nymane

For those of you who order from Mehandi, am I suppose to get the Body Art Quality Henna for African Hair?

When I order from them I get the Punjabi Prime...I get the the brightest/most red tint from this henna. I heard the the one for African hair is a little easier to rinse out, I've never tried it though.

Platinum

I henna'd about 2 weeks ago but I'll probably do a henna and indigo treatment this weekend. I'm almost a year post now and I'll probably get a sew-in so I'll henna for added strength.:yep:

Aggie

My vitamins are gowing my hair so fast that I think that I would need to add a hendigo treatyment to my front hairline to cover my grays. I just hendigo'ed my hair 9 days ago. I noticed that the grays were coming in 2 days ago, but only deep at the root.

When I was finished with my henna treatment 9 days ago, I thoroughly inspected it - looking for gray hairs and I had complete gray coverage. The last time I henna'ed my hair, my grays stayed covered for much longer - more like a whole month it seemed.

Wow, I really :love: my PhytoSpecific Cap Energy but looks like I will need to henna my hair more often than previously planned. This is a good problem to have. Believe me!

Platinum

My vitamins are gowing my hair so fast that I think that I would need to add a hendigo treatyment to my front hairline to cover my grays. I just hendigo'ed my hair 9 days ago. I noticed that the grays were coming in 2 days ago, but only deep at the root.

When I was finished with my henna treatment 9 days ago, I thoroughly inspected it - looking for gray hairs and I had complete gray coverage. The last time I henna'ed my hair, my grays stayed covered for much longer - more like a whole month it seemed.

Wow, I really :love: my PhytoSpecific Cap Energy but looks like I will need to henna my hair more often than previously planned. This is a good problem to have. Believe me!

Congratulations on your progress, Aggie. What vitamins are you taking?

Summer79

Here are a few pics of the first henna I did back on 4/13/2010. LOVE the color and the heavy feeling it gives my hair. I think I get more a sheen than shine.....but my hair has never really been shiny though. Henna is a keeper for me for sure, have some on right now. Wish I would not have waited so long to try it. After I did the henna, I DC for about 2hrs, air dried over night in 2 braids, did a light press with my flat iron, then a caruso set.

Attachments

• 0415001505.jpg
    0415001505.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 2010-04-16_15.17.55.jpg
    2010-04-16_15.17.55.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2010-04-16_15.13.30.jpg
    2010-04-16_15.13.30.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 61

Curly Lee

Hey Ladies,
I use the Jamila brand. I mix mines with hot water. Once that is mixed, I add a whole egg. Mix that up and then add Suave Conditioner(which ever one I grab first), and coconut oil. May add a squig of lemon juice. I section my hair and slap it on. Put on my baggie, either get under the dryer for about 45 min or do things around the house to kill time.
I never have a problem washing it out. I use a clarifying shampoo for two washes and then a moisturizing shampoo( maybe because I do long washes). It always rinses out well. I then DC for 45 min and roller set the top. It turns out great every time.
I have been using henna almost 2 years now and the strength of my strands is my greatest accomplishment so far. I know once the hair is strong, it will then start gaining length......
You may have answered this already, but why do you add an egg to your henna mix?? What does it do different fro a traditional henna mix??

Nasdaq_Diva

Since the Karishma has herbs in it all ready, do I still need to add more amla?

Is adding the tea water used to make a darker hair color?

You dont' need to add more amla if you dont' want to. Amla tends to tone down the reds in the henna. Karishma henna (imo) doesn't turn the hair the brightest. It's the only henna I use by the way.

Zawaj

:look: I'm considering hennaing again. I'm a little scared because my hair is soooo dry but I'll give it another go.

Platinum

:look: I'm considering hennaing again. I'm a little scared because my hair is soooo dry but I'll give it another go.

Have you tried adding a moisturizing condish to your mix? Also, I DC overnight with a moisturizing DC and that works for me.

I may try to henna this weekend.:look:

demlew

Hello everyone. Thank you for all of the valuable answers here. I'm considering HIN for the first time, but I have two questions. First, does anyone use Porosity Control after the final DC or is that unnecessary? Second, does anyone know where I can purchase both Karishma and indigo in the Dallas-Fort Worth area? I'm too anxious to order online lol. TIA!

Zawaj

Have you tried adding a moisturizing condish to your mix? Also, I DC overnight with a moisturizing DC and that works for me.

I may try to henna this weekend.:look:

I think I'll try the DC overnight after! Thanks! Did you do the henna :look:?

Zawaj, have you done the conditioning, oiling and/or shampoo bars as part of your henna/herbal regimen? That would help a whole lot :)

I am an avid oiler. I pre-poo with EVCO typically overnight prior to my washes but this is a newish addition to my routine since I stopped henna-ing. This may help a lot though. I don't use any other ayurveda powders. I just ordered some henna so I will post my results as soon as I do it!

sidenote: Khadija I feel like I've been stalking hennasooq's website and flickr! I wish you were close because I would love to have my henna done by you!

sharifeh

Yes Zawaj, henna is really drying, next time I do it, I'm going to DC for a while with an uber moisturizing conditioner like aubrey organics...
I also heard that adding coconut milk to your mix can help counter the drying effects, I have yet to try that though...

DrC

1.) Can Henna be used for transitioners??
2.) What are benefits of Henna ( besides changing your hair color?)
3.) Does it really make your curl pattern easier??
4.) How many TYPES of henna are there?

I'm a transitioner who would like to try Henna and change my hair color to Red (any type of natural shade red). Uncertain as to what Henna to use since there is a variety out there. So far, I know compound Henna is not good.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Thanks Zawaj! You are in Washington State right? Anywhere near Vancouver at all? My cousin lives in Seattle. I am trying to get to Vancouver for August around the 8th...

I think I'll try the DC overnight after! Thanks! Did you do the henna :look:?

I am an avid oiler. I pre-poo with EVCO typically overnight prior to my washes but this is a newish addition to my routine since I stopped henna-ing. This may help a lot though. I don't use any other ayurveda powders. I just ordered some henna so I will post my results as soon as I do it!

sidenote: Khadija I feel like I've been stalking hennasooq's website and flickr! I wish you were close because I would love to have my henna done by you!

Khadija.D.Carryl

1.) Can Henna be used for transitioners??
2.) What are benefits of Henna ( besides changing your hair color?)
3.) Does it really make your curl pattern easier??
4.) How many TYPES of henna are there?

I'm a transitioner who would like to try Henna and change my hair color to Red (any type of natural shade red). Uncertain as to what Henna to use since there is a variety out there. So far, I know compound Henna is not good.

The benefits of henna are that they strengthen, and thicken your hair. Brings shine to it. Gorgeous! Makes your hair soft. It can be drying so do moisturize and balance your hair regimen out to include henna. It stops dandruff.

it is fine to use if you are transitioning in my opinion.

It does loosen the curl pattern for a high percentage of people, about 85% of people have this happen to them

How many types? hhmmm well there are MANY brand names, but really going by the country of origin gives a better idea on what the henna might be like.
There is henna from Morocco, yemen, indian, and pakistan and those countries have the best henna on the market. Some are better then others of course. brand names vary, and next sift, and freshness would be important things to factor in.

Platinum

Hi Zawaj, I didn't Henna this weekend because I just got home a few hours ago. I'll probably henna in about 2 weeks.:look: I like Jamila Henna but I may try Reshna brand next time.

DrC

The benefits of henna are that they strengthen, and thicken your hair. Brings shine to it. Gorgeous! Makes your hair soft. It can be drying so do moisturize and balance your hair regimen out to include henna. It stops dandruff.

it is fine to use if you are transitioning in my opinion.

It does loosen the curl pattern for a high percentage of people, about 85% of people have this happen to them

How many types? hhmmm well there are MANY brand names, but really going by the country of origin gives a better idea on what the henna might be like.
There is henna from Morocco, yemen, indian, and pakistan and those countries have the best henna on the market. Some are better then others of course. brand names vary, and next sift, and freshness would be important things to factor in.

thank You.

Wooow, didnt know there were that many varieties of it. Okay since I have that information down, wheres the best place to buy it?? Online or at the store??

Khadija.D.Carryl

Unless the store specializes in henna and natural hair care, I wouldn't recommend it as my number 1 choice. as henna powders can be sitting on the shelf for a long time, out in the open and not in cool conditioners for freshness, but some do get from the local indian shops. The sift is usually not as great as the body art quality henna powders. Body art quality means and applies to ONLY henna powder, where the henna powder is fresh enough and finely sifted enough for henna artists to also use for body art, and the color is usually the best in those henna powders.

Online a few members I am sure can recommend a good henna shop. :)

DrC

Unless the store specializes in henna and natural hair care, I wouldn't recommend it as my number 1 choice. as henna powders can be sitting on the shelf for a long time, out in the open and not in cool conditioners for freshness, but some do get from the local indian shops. The sift is usually not as great as the body art quality henna powders. Body art quality means and applies to ONLY henna powder, where the henna powder is fresh enough and finely sifted enough for henna artists to also use for body art, and the color is usually the best in those henna powders.

Online a few members I am sure can recommend a good henna shop. :)

:thankyou:

Hello I just started henna back again , I purchased rajasthani from the Indina store , I usually get NUPRE but they were out. I add my conditioner , alma oil , coconut oil, and two other oil. My question have anyone used this brand rajasthani. My hair is finally growing so I dont want any set back. Please give me a review on this brand , I did check internet I did not find any bad review . Thanks

Zawaj

Thanks Zawaj! You are in Washington State right? Anywhere near Vancouver at all? My cousin lives in Seattle. I am trying to get to Vancouver for August around the 8th...

Yep I'm in Washington State! I'm about a 3.5 hour drive away from Vancouver. Will you be here on business :look:? #plottinghenna

Billygirl61

Hello I just started henna back again , I purchased rajasthani from the Indina store , I usually get NUPRE but they were out. I add my conditioner , alma oil , coconut oil, and two other oil. My question have anyone used this brand rajasthani. My hair is finally growing so I dont want any set back. Please give me a review on this brand , I did check internet I did not find any bad review . Thanks

I have used rajasthani henna from hennasooq and it worked fine ,washed out really easy

Creatividual

I used to use Reshma with great results but now I use Nupur and luv it even more. It has tons of the conditioning ayurvedic herbs already added to it like amla, bringhraj, shikakai, arithra, hibiscus, etc. I buy my henna from local Indian groceries.

I was doing full henna treatments but my hair was getting too thick so now I'm back to henna glosses. I use henna every 1-2 months. It has done nothing but great things for my hair. I'm a lifetime user. :D

My fav full henna treatment recipe:
* 1 cup (depends on how much hair you have) henna
* coconut milk (till pudding consistency is achieved)
* 1 tbsp EVOO and/or coconut oil
* quick squirt of honey
This was extremely conditioning and had my hair feeling like silk and my curls would be POPPIN. The dye releases pretty fast with both hennas I listed. I don't care about color so I use immediately after mixing. If I have any leftover, I freeze till my next use.

My henna gloss recipe:
* 2 tbsp henna
* water (till a paste consistency)
* conditioner or coconut milk - I'm experimenting with both one to see which one I like better. I add enough till the mix becomes creamy
* 1 tsp grapeseed oil
* quick squirt of honey

This mix is lighter and I get just as good results without the thickening.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Yep I'm in Washington State! I'm about a 3.5 hour drive away from Vancouver. Will you be here on business :look:? #plottinghenna

I am trying to be there for business, a meetup in particular that I've been wanting to have for a long time. But I've never been on the west coast so that should be fun.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I've never tried henna or indigo and I want to do both. I have a big weekend coming up. Should I try it before the weekend or should I wait. I don't want to mess up and look crazy. Whadya think?

(subscribing)