A ? for those with texturizers

inkysphinx

I'm fairly new to this board, and I'm getting a lot of great advice and suggestions, so thank you for that!

I have a question for those of you who texturize:

*Is the hair easier to maintain compared to 100% natural hair?
*Is the hair more prone to breakage than natural hair?
*What is your routine?
*What do you (or your stylist) use to texturize?
*How often do you touch up?

My mind is starting to wander about what to do with my hair. I WANT to stay natural, but the grow out is a pain! First and foremost, my goal is long, HEALTHY hair. And it seems like a lot of women on this board use chemicals without too many problems. Anyway thanks for the advice!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
It's easier now for me because there are less tangles and knots on the ends from the manipulation after washing. I can now wear a wash n' go and air dry without having my hair tightly curl up on itself. I don't need a lot of products to maintain my hairstyle or care for my hair.

My hair didn't break either way.

*What is your routine?
I wash with conditioner OR conditioner/oil OR spritz with water/glycerin in the morning. Then air-dry. That's it.

I do it myself using Revlon Realistic (lye) in Mild.

Every 3 months.

DahomeyAhosi

*Is the hair easier to maintain compared to 100% natural hair? yes, but not much
*Is the hair more prone to breakage than natural hair? yes it is much weaker
*What is your routine? wash once a week with any shampoo, followed by AO GBP and elucence mb conditioner. Moisturize daily with s-curl, use surge daily and some other moisturizer.
*What do you (or your stylist) use to texturize? mizani sensitive scalp lye
*How often do you touch up? every three months

blue_flower

For me texturized hair is easier to maintain than natural hair- long natural hair. When my hair was shorter it was quite easy to take care of natural hair. But as it got longer, it become difficult. My hair was harder to style and it had incredible shrinkage.

My natural hair was breaking more because I was impatient and would tear a comb/pick through it. Some breakage is unavoidable, but I've noticed with my texturized hair it doesn't feel so dry and it's much easier to comb through.

*What is your routine?
I wash and deep condition once a week, conditioner washes 3-4 times a week. Trim when needed.

I texturize with Motions Mild.

So far it has been every 6 months.

ms_kenesha

Thanks for the bump...waiting on some more answers....blue flower what does your hair look like natural (the coil diameter...pen spring, #2 pencil, etc.)

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I want one too.. how much new growth should you have before you get one? At least 4 inches ya think? I need to call that girl I was told about who did the wash and wear and ask her questions.. Does anyone know what the mildest no-lye relaxer is that you can get at Sally's?