7 Months Post Relaxer.... Pics!

LivingDol1

Hi Ladies,

Sooo.... I had posted this rant a few weeks ago... I'm still undecided about what I am going to do next with my hair. I'm 7 months post relaxer touch up... it looks as though I have about 2.5 to 3 inches of new growth(see pics below). to me, that sounds like a lot to have in 7 months but who knows....

I removed my braids on Monday. It took 8 hours!! I learned that I can unbraid 25-30 braids per hour... I did the following to my hair:

1) I carefully combed out the shed hair.... detangled... and "pre-pooed" with a combo of EVOO, and coconut oil for one hour in 4 braids under a plastic cap. i had a lot of shed hair but i guess after wearing braids for 2 months, i should expect to see this much hair. see pics below.

2) I washed my hair in 4 sections with clarifying shampoo.

3) I put a combo of Giovanni Smooth and Silk Deep Conditioner, coconut oil, and Aphogee Essential Oils on each section of my damp hair. i put my hair in 4 braids, put on a plastic shower cap, and then a silk scarf and went to bed...

4) Got up this morning (tuesday) and just put my hair into a bun, went to work...

5) came home, put my hair back into 4 braided sections, wet my hair a little, did a conditioner rinse, followed with some roux porosity control. rinsed out after 5 minutes...

6) blow dried each section of hair on medium heat, then low heat, then a cool shot... trying to get the roots straight. i used sabino moisture block before i blow dried...

7) i flat ironed my hair in small sections on 330 degrees.

so far, the flat ironed look is good. i wasn't heavy handed with my products during the blow dry or flat ironing process. i do have some split ends...

i feel like my hair isn't much longer than it was when i got braids 4-5 months ago.(see pic of me in a black tank top from june...) i am always floating at the full APL/close to BSB area. i feel like my layers are longer. less fly aways. i do need a trim....

at this time, i am not sure if i should just get a touch up or go natural. i am thinking about BKT but i'm worried about the ingredients and long term effects... i like to wear my hair straight and i like to wear my hair down for special occasions/nights out. i am the type of person who has always gone to a stylist. i am not a DIY... but i am sick to hell of having my stylist cut my hair to the same APL length and then i never see progress.

i guess i will see how my roots hold up over the next few days. i didn't have much difficulty managing my roots during this washing process. i actually found it easier to wash my hair in sections and then handle it afterwards.

anyways, sorry so long! pics are attached....

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 263
  • photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 257
  • photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 180
  • photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 233
  • photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 199

LivingDol1

okay, i have more pics.... please see below....

Attachments

• photo-10.JPG
    photo-10.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 110
  • photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 109
  • photo-12.jpg
    photo-12.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 103

Ijanei

Congrats on your growth over and your hair is beautiful. Your roots look like they are holding up well after 7months ....

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
Your flat ironed roots look really straight to me, perhaps hold off on your relaxer until you know for sure you want to be permanently straight.

andromeda

Your hair looks beautiful! I think you should continue to stretch with the intention of going natural. You can still wear your hair straight. Just make sure you/your stylist baby the demarcation line. Your braids looks very nice and those are also a great transitioning style. If you really want to do the natural thing, there's lots of resources and support, so it's just a matter of deciding what's best for you. :yep:

LivingDol1

i think i'm going to keep stretching... i went to work today with my hair down and my roots didn't revert. i also prefer a little more body to my hair and i detest how my hair looks 2 days after getting a relaxer touch up. flat flat flat!

how does one "baby" the demarcation line? i haven't had much breakage of long strands to be quite honest. only some short bits when flat ironing, probably from the ends where i know i have some split ends.

andromeda

i think i'm going to keep stretching... i went to work today with my hair down and my roots didn't revert. i also prefer a little more body to my hair and i detest how my hair looks 2 days after getting a relaxer touch up. flat flat flat!

how does one "baby" the demarcation line? i haven't had much breakage of long strands to be quite honest. only some short bits when flat ironing, probably from the ends where i know i have some split ends.

just keeping it moisturized and soft to prevent from the breakage and tangling that the border of the two textures is prone to. Almost treating like your ends, paying extra attention to it during DCing, etc.
Also, have you tried using ceramides? I think that would help keep your roots soft and manageable, which would probably eliminate the need for the bkt.

LivingDol1

ceramides? i have never tried that. didn't know i had to treat the demarcation line like my ends. i think i want to wear my hair in air dried buns more often... so i'm going to have to master some styling options.... i do not want to be a slave to my hair, scheduling roller setting into my week... in fact, considering where my demarcation line is at, i should probably not roller set

it sounds like i need to do some research! off to use the search tool! :)

HappilyLiberal

Your flat ironed roots look really straight to me, perhaps hold off on your relaxer until you know for sure you want to be permanently straight.

THIS. YES!

Up to last night I was 5 months post. But, yesterday I was sick of my new growth and since I can't afford a flat iron right now I slapped a relaxer in my hair. I woke up this morning aggravated because I want my naps back and now I have to start all over!

EbonyCPrincess

Your sides definitely look longer and it appears the stretch has gone well! I see you already relaxed - my suggestion was going to be if you know you're a straight haired girl, down and out then relaxing may actually be easier/healthier than a lot of manipulation, heat (blow drying + flat ironing) regularly. BUT I see you already came to a conclusion! Come back and post pics of the relaxed hair!