4B/C + Length = More Defined Curls/Coils?

drmuffin

Alright, maybe you guys can help me out on this one, cuz I'm sitting watching YT vids and feeling bamboozled. :perplexed

Ok, I just recently got into watching vids, and I'm finding it increasingly hard to find someone with my texture. I'm 4 something, I suspect b or c (and that's if "C" even exists), and I have about 3 inches of hair. I was trying to find someone with hair like me and their methods of defining coils, especially with Eco Styler. I wanna rock a very defined fro for Christmas, so I picked up a tub and raked a little bit in random spots of my hair. Granted, it wasn't on clean, freshly washed hair (I couldn't wait to see how it looked), but I was none too pleased. So I turned to YT.

I found some vids of folks that say they're 4b/c and used Eco Styler, but they sure don't look it! Their hair looked vastly different from mine. But all these vids I find, their hair is much longer than mine. So could it be that because they have much more length their hair looks different from mine?
I know that the longer the hair, the more weight is added, thereby helping it to "hang" more.

I'll be washing my hair tomorrow before I head to Houston, so I'll see if I can post some pics before I leave.

naturalnikki

My 4b or c hair...

What Eco styler does

My sisters hair maybe 4a

sis again

cheryl26

I don't know much about 4's but you and your sister's hair look the same, hers might be a bit longer. The first and third pic also just look brushed out with the third being longer.

brittle_hair

I was actually gonna post about this but never got round to taking pictures - Couple of days ago I created a defined curl completely unintentionally - I put some aloe vera gel on a section of my hair that I had unbraided, then I put some vaseline on the ends just to strengthen them. And low and behold I had created a defined tightly coiled spiral curl without even trying to o the section that had both the gel and the vaseline. Gel alone doesn't do that for my hair. I had long accepted that I had no way of getting any curl definition until couple days ago.

It was only a small section though, as my hair is in braids at the moment I haven't yet tried it on the whole head, but if you are gonna do it, definitely do it in small sections.

Let me know how it goes!

MissAlinaRose

@drmuffin
Hey there lady!

I know how you feel about texture matching via YouTube. I luckily found my hair twin who is a youtuber by the name of Cynthiarf. When I look at her hair I am literally looking at mine, but the only difference between us is that we style our hair differently.

Also I should say that maybe it is more technique than anything when it comes to having a more defined style with kinky hair. What I did in the pic below is take small sections, add ecostyer gel, then brush it through with a denman d3. Then after it was all done I would give my gelly hair a cool water rinse in the shower and shake it. Then I would add a t-shirt over my head and press down on it to get rid of excess water and product. Needless to say that was 2 years ago and I don't do that anymore lol! Experimentation I tell ya.

Anyhoo, Here is my 4b naked hair (this picture kept coming out HUGE so now it's real small :ohwell:)

and here is my hair with ecostyler gel. (I no longer use this product though)

I never put gel through my hair in the twa phase because I loved twist outs.

Here is my twa wet with no product

and here is my twist out
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/98_196/192_122/Rose006-vi.jpg
I hope that helps a little to see the differences, and have safe travels back here to the city of Houston!

Attachments

• naked hair.jpg
    naked hair.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Nubenap22

do twists on wet hair with something like eco styler, i like flax seed gel for my 4b/c hair with castor oil on the ends ( dont forget to seal ) and do a twisted out puff!

naturalnikki

I don't know much about 4's but you and your sister's hair look the same, hers might be a bit longer. The first and third pic also just look brushed out with the third being longer.

Her hair curls better. It's different textures in different places. In the front it's almost completely straight and there's no damage to it. My hair is actually longer. She just has doesn't have hardly any shrinkage. It maybe the same just that she has no shrinkage and that what makes it look different to me.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Yay! My hair idols posted pictures!! :woot: :woot: mwedzi and MissAlinaRose

drmuffin Experiment, experiment, experiment!! Your hair and your sister's hair look very good to me. I think I'm more 4A than anything else, and I haven't noticed more defined curls, kinks, or coils. My hair is just fluffier depending on how I style it. If I want definition/elongation, I do a braid out on dry hair.

To define my hair, I'd have to 'shingle' with lots of product, and I don't like gummy hair.

This was BC hair, no product. Not much change in definition IMO.

Last edited:

NaturalEnigma

The hair products and techniques you use will determine what texture you hair looks like.
For example I have 4B hair. From when I big chopped to about a year my hair has always looked 4B. Just recently my hair has started to look differently and its because now I know my hair. I have experimented with products and different hairstyles. My hair looks looks 4A now. I remember this girl with 3C hair tried to tell me, she and I had the same texture I was looking at her like she was crazy. I think I had a twist out that day so it may have looked liked we had the same texture but we really don't.

I did a twist out with satin rollers and it looked like my hair was relaxed. I think people with longer hair have had time to figure out what technique/products works for them + they're hair is probably healither, more moisturized and softer then someone who just started their journey so their hair can appear to be a different texture, but in reality they probably have the same texture as the person who just did the BC or who is 6-8 months into hair natural hair journey.

drmuffin

NappyNelle oh that isn't me, but naturalnikki and she is GAWJUS!

Here is me, my Eco Styler results:

The Final Results:

I know the pics don't really show the definition, but it is there and I actually love it! Oh yeah, sorry about the REALLY BIG pics!

anon123

@mwedzi - How did you do your hair in your signature? So much definition and body!

I blow dried my hair in sections, oiled each section with coconut oil after I blow dried it, and twisted that section. There were about 10-12 sections. I left the twists in for a day and wore them in a ponytail. The next day I undid them.