4a or kinkier hair: question about shampoo

Lilmama1011

What shampoo do you use? I find that no matter what shampoo I use it behaves the same way, it dries my new growth out! Even acv rinse I gave up on because for the past 2 months, it just matts and tangles my hair up really bad. I prefer some recommendations without cones please. If not I will still listen :) I'm not talking about clarifying ones either. Thanks in advance

I use CON Detangling shampoo, the yellow bottle old formula. As a matter of fact I have tried all three and I like the green, yellow and red. I think my first preference is the red on though. That shampoo is very helpful to me and my NG because I do long stretches 16 weeks or more.

eta: They never dry my hair out, currently i'm using the yellow bottle and I need to stock up on the green and red because they are just as good. Cleansing, moisturizing and I read they are sulfate free.

Last edited:
Elucence moisture benefits is awesome.

Elasta QP creme conditioning poo was my go to while relaxed, but it's too thick/creamy for my hair now. I feel like I'm rinsing forever

I use Ouidad Cleansing Oil. A little goes a LONG way, I've had my bottle for a year and I cleanse my hair weekly when I'm not in long term protective style mode. Doesn't dry out my hair like the shampoos I've used in the past, but actually cleanses my hair/scalp which cowashing conditioners seem to never do.

Sound like you might need a good conditioning shampoo. And also a good moisturizing conditioner/deep conditioner. Have you been tried doing a pre poo before using a shampoo? My go to shampoos have been - Shea moisture shampoo, Bo beam hemp bar, Jakeala apple cider vinegar shampoo/marshmallow root bar, trader Joes and Aubrey organics.

Sound like you might need a good conditioning shampoo. And also a good moisturizing conditioner/deep conditioner. Have you been tried doing a pre poo before using a shampoo? My go to shampoos have been - Shea moisture shampoo, Bo beam hemp bar, Jakeala apple cider vinegar shampoo/marshmallow root bar, trader Joes and Aubrey organics.

The conditioner isn't the problem it's the tangling up and matting after shampooing. I did a prepoo before and didn't see a difference lenu80 I just noticed what you meant because most people wash, condition and then detangle, but I wash, do a cowash with a cheap conditioner and comb through before actually deep conditioning because I apply my conditioner relaxer style so it needs to be detangled before or I will break my hair off

Last edited:
i use Mizani milk bath, nairobi detangling shampoo, elucence, and con argan oil shampoo. i don't have any issues with these shampoos. i use the conditioners that follow these shampoos. it seems it may be a conditioner issue, or your hair may be overprocessed, protein overload, or you may be stretching too long and may need to wash hair in sections. dilute your shampoo with water, use a squirt bottle, and apply to scalp only as well and see if that helps.

I am a 4A I believe. My tangle issues did not stop until I transitioned. When I was permed I had horrible tangles. The further I got into my transition the less tangles I had. I transitioned a little over a year. Since I got all the perm cut off earlier this month I haven't experienced really any tangles. I only co wash and I only detangle with a wide tooth shower comb when my hair has conditioner on it. I also detangle in the shower sometimes under the running water. I have used: as I am coconut co wash, eden body works co wash or Aussie moist conditioner. My favorite is as I am. As my hair grows I may develop tangle issues, but right now I don't have any. I am currently shoulder length. I find that with the co washing my hair feels very soft and clean. When I was still using shampoo(sulfate-free) my hair would feel stripped and ruff.

Elucence moisture benefits
Silk dreams go moist
Carols daughter cupuacu smoothing shampoo

i use Mizani milk bath, nairobi detangling shampoo, elucence, and con argan oil shampoo. i don't have any issues with these shampoos. i use the conditioners that follow these shampoos. it seems it may be a conditioner issue, or your hair may be overprocessed, protein overload, or you may be stretching too long and may need to wash hair in sections. dilute your shampoo with water, use a squirt bottle, and apply to scalp only as well and see if that helps.

shortdub78. I might have to go from 12 weeks to 10 weeks. My hair isn't over processed. I do dilute my shampoo in my root only bottle. And the conditioner works fine. Any conditioner makes my hair soft. It's just after washing I cowash with v05 under running water to detangle before deep conditioning. I apply relaxer style so it needs to be detangled in advance . I don't like doing it any way because I lose more hair trying to apply conditioner on knotted hair and don't feel ever strand gets conditioned

I am a 4A I believe. My tangle issues did not stop until I transitioned. When I was permed I had horrible tangles. The further I got into my transition the less tangles I had. I transitioned a little over a year. Since I got all the perm cut off earlier this month I haven't experienced really any tangles. I only co wash and I only detangle with a wide tooth shower comb when my hair has conditioner on it. I also detangle in the shower sometimes under the running water. I have used: as I am coconut co wash, eden body works co wash or Aussie moist conditioner. My favorite is as I am. As my hair grows I may develop tangle issues, but right now I don't have any. I am currently shoulder length. I find that with the co washing my hair feels very soft and clean. When I was still using shampoo(sulfate-free) my hair would feel stripped and ruff.

Yeah I cowash every week and use shampoo once a month and that's when I have tangles and lose the most hair. But use conditioners with cones so I have to clarify once a month so I won't have build up. But I was looking for a moisturizing shampoo in case I wanted to use that instead of coaching one week stephanie75miller

what shampoos are you using? i had to use a rinse out conditioner when i had protein overload or due to hard water.

Maybe its a pH issue. Do you know your porosity?

Also, I know there are some ladies that condition, shampoo, and then DC. Have you tried that?

I have a section of hair that if left alone for a week, will coil into mini locs. I have to pull the hair apart with my fingers because I'm sure I'd break a comb. The hair is extremely fragile. Like, insanely sensitive. And it detests ALL shampoo. Tangle city immediately. The only thing that helps is softening it before shampooing. That means an oil or conditioner to finger detangle, let it sit, then proceed as normal. I hope this helps

I use ORS creamy aloe shampoo and it hasn't caused any tangles for me. I've found that a good detangling before shampooing and/or pre-pooing really helps.

what shampoos are you using? i had to use a rinse out conditioner when i had protein overload or due to hard water.

I do have hard water. I was using acv for a while for cleansing. I used con detangling shampoo a while back and the moisturizing one I believe that was the name of it. I just tried vidal sasoon just because it was white and creamy. I have tried Shea moisture retention shampoo. But no shampoo has wowed me shortdub78. Maybe it's the hard water along with the shampoo tangling it up

Maybe its a pH issue. Do you know your porosity?

Also, I know there are some ladies that condition, shampoo, and then DC. Have you tried that?

I have a section of hair that if left alone for a week, will coil into mini locs. I have to pull the hair apart with my fingers because I'm sure I'd break a comb. The hair is extremely fragile. Like, insanely sensitive. And it detests ALL shampoo. Tangle city immediately. The only thing that helps is softening it before shampooing. That means an oil or conditioner to finger detangle, let it sit, then proceed as normal. I hope this helps

No I haven't tried that, sounds so long. Already wash days can be long. I might try it since it only once a month I use shampoo. My hair is since easy to detangle before washing and cowashing. It's just the shampoo. My hair holds moisture well. My hair isn't dry. I don't never let it get dry. I moisturize and seal daily.

I suggest Giovanni (smooth as silk, 50/50, or chinese botanicals) or EO essential shampoos , I never feel stripped or have crazy tangling.

The only shampoos I use are Giovanni's moisture shampoo and CON argan oil shampoo. They are the only shampoos that don't dry out my hair.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Perhaps, it's your method of shampooing that's contributing to the tangles and matting, e.g., scrubbing with the pads of your fingers versus using the fingers and palms to gently smooth the hair shaft from root to tip. My hair is extremely tangle-prone and using the latter method has helped tremendously in reducing tangles and facilitating detangling.

FWIW, one of the best shampoos I've ever tried is Elucence Acidifying Shampoo. It's a highly concentrated, non-stripping clarifier and chelator. Also, have you tried any cleansing conditioners?

Shea moisture Yucca Shampoo
Shea moisture Raw ( yellow bottle)
Cream of Nature Argon oil shampoo

Creme of Nature Argan Shine Shampoo, Parnevu T-Tree Shampoo are very gentle. I can opt not to use conditioner after using these shampoos.

Back