4a/4b summer hair ideas

ree.denise

Question for my 4a/4b ladies.....
How do you wear your hair in the summer? I need pics, tips and ideas!

Thans ladies:)

Sent from my SGH-T959

Nonie

If wearing my hair out, it's pretty much always in a puff. Some styles I've worn in Spring and Summer:

In the pics below my hair is not loose so what you see is a phony puff. My hair was twisted or in the case of the photo with the scarf, in the process of being undone so not fit/safe for human eyes hence the puff :lol:

Straightened, I just wear my hair up coz I'm boring like that, plus my hair is too light to hang/move so it'd just pull a Don King if I let it be:

Braids on straightened hair:

Then a braid out:

Twist-out:

ree.denise

Nic pics! Do you have any problems with shrinkage?

If wearing my hair out, it's pretty much always in a puff. Some styles I've worn in Spring and Summer:

In the pics below my hair is not loose so what you see is a phony puff. My hair was twisted or in the case of the photo with the scarf, in the process of being undone so not fit/safe for human eyes hence the puff :lol:

Straightened, I just wear my hair up coz I'm boring like that, plus my hair is too light to hang/move so it'd just pull a Don King if I let it be:

Braids on straightened hair:

Then a braid out:

Twist-out:

Sent from my SGH-T959

Nonie

Nic pics! Do you have any problems with shrinkage?

Not really. I braid my hair every night. Only product I use on it: S Curl. So at the end of the day, I will use fingers to pull out a section of my hair and stretch it out with one hand as I slide comb through the now open coils (due to the stretch) to make sure it's tangle-free. I might spritz it with S Curl so I get slip if necessary. The combing is as smooth as shown in this vid where I had conditioner: notice I stretch before sliding comb through). So after pulling out a few strands and combing through to make sure they are tangle free, I then braid the hair immediately...and work on another section. Then I baggy. In the AM, my hair is so easy to comb once I take the baggy off. And I only comb it when it is damp from baggying and don't touch it again until bed time when I do as I just described. I never go to bed w/o braiding my hair. I think if I used a dryer moisturizer like Shea Butter, shrinkage would be bothersome and difficult to work with. S Curl seems to behave on my hair the way conditioner on wet hair would.

tocktick

I usually don't change my hair much from winter styles. Once in a while, I do a big fluffy braidout but most days I bun it with a cute hair-band. I also pull it back into a low-braid or low stretched pony with a 40/50s inspired roll at the front. That's my new favourite way to wear my hair right now. I'm a low-manip type person though; I try to keep my hair stretched. I don't do W'nGs or any shrunken styles.

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I wear pretty much the same stuff year round except I can wear my hair out more often in the summer:

Twists with braided roots, 2008:

caramelty

I will be rocking a wet and wavy weave for the next 6 months re-applying my weave every 2 months. I am trying to get atleast 4-5 inches by november. I oiled my hair with mtg/coconut oil and the hair that is left out i spray with elasta qp h20 then put coconut oil on ends and twisy my natural hair to blend wih the weave.

caramelty

Your hair is absolutely GAWGEOUS.....I cant wait to I get some thickness again

I wear pretty much the same stuff year round except I can wear my hair out more often in the summer:

ree.denise

Sounds cute!

I will be rocking a wet and wavy weave for the next 6 months re-applying my weave every 2 months. I am trying to get atleast 4-5 inches by november. I oiled my hair with mtg/coconut oil and the hair that is left out i spray with elasta qp h20 then put coconut oil on ends and twisy my natural hair to blend wih the weave.

Sent from my SGH-T959

Fhrizzball

This summer I don't want to be bothered with my hair so it will be in styled twists and twistouts with perhaps some shingled wash and go hair when I get bored of it all.

Nonie

I usually don't change my hair much from winter styles. Once in a while, I do a big fluffy braidout but most days I bun it with a cute hair-band. I also pull it back into a low-braid or low stretched pony with a 40/50s inspired roll at the front. That's my new favourite way to wear my hair right now. I'm a low-manip type person though; I try to keep my hair stretched. I don't do W'nGs or any shrunken styles.

tocktick May I please see what that looks like, pretty please with sugar on it? :pray:

Geminigirl

!oh my goodness yes your hair is so beautiful! !I love the sick waves in the front. So thick and healthy.

tocktick

@tocktick May I please see what that looks like, pretty please with sugar on it? :pray:

Alas, I have no pics. I only have a camera phone at the moment, so I haven't taken hair pics for a very long time. I'll try and get a decent pic on my phone sometime this week and will upload if I do :).

I will have a look for an image or tutorial that looks like the front in the meantime.

lettieg27

I think Im gonna wash and go this summer, I've been natural a little more than 2 years and have never done this style Ill really excited to just wear my hair naturally. :)

tocktick

Alas, I have no pics. I only have a camera phone at the moment, so I haven't taken hair pics for a very long time. I'll try and get a decent pic on my phone sometime this week and will upload if I do :).

I will have a look for an image or tutorial that looks like the front in the meantime.

Well, here's the closet thing I could find and it's done on another type 4 natural, which is great.

The difference between how she makes her roll and my own is that she seems to turn it back, where as I use 2 fingers to roll, roll up further and don't turn it back or in another other direction. I then pin inside the roll as best I can. I took a few photos before I went out this afternoon.

The camera phone quality is awful, so the photos are a bit disappointing. I hope at least the shape is somewhat clear - what cannot really be seen is the hair rolled back on itself to make the roll :perplexed.

She also has a cute vintage inspired look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlsdn9x2rZ0&feature=related

Nonie

tocktick (Can you mention a Girl so she doesn't miss your response pretty please?)

Looks good. Is your stretching just done by braiding or banding or do you use heat? Or ooh...African threading!!?

tocktick

@tocktick (Can you mention a Girl so she doesn't miss your response pretty please?)

Looks good. Is your stretching just done by braiding or banding or do you use heat? Or ooh...African threading!!?

@Nonie Thanks. My hair gets stretched when I put it into a wet pony tail and I also band the pony. My hair has always been easily stretched, tbh. So this method gets most of it 70-80% there. Since I did a bentonite clay last week, it's a bit less though. This style was done on a day old pony.

edit: I'm uber slow and just clocked your meaning - thinking "a Girl" was some random member here :rolleyes: :lachen:

Last edited:

Nonie

Ok, I'll amend my previous to include the mention but to clarify is the user-name just "a Girl" or am I confused :drunk:?

Thanks. My hair gets stretched when I put it into a wet pony tail and I also band the pony. My hair has always been easily stretched, tbh. So this method gets most of it 70-80% there. Since I did a bentonite clay last week, it's a bit less though. This style was done on a day old pony.

tocktick
:lachen: I was referring to myself. I could've said, "Could you mention someone/me/Nonie/Snape's Gal..." I was just saying that if you do not mention me, I may never know you answered coz I don't always return to a thread I posted in...even after I ask a question, if a lot of time passes and it gets buried and I forget about it or assume it was never answered. The mention feature alerts someone to the fact that you said something to them. And it's @ followed by that person's user name w/o leaving a space.

And no, please don't mention me on a thread I've already seen. :lachen: Coz that'll just bug the heck out of me. :lol: When you mention someone, it's to bring their attention to something you said to them. If they already know of what you said, mentioning them after the fact is redundant and will just send an annoying alert to say you said something they already know about. Why? :lol:

BTW, I totally believe in keeping hair stretched all the time. I just wondered how you did yours. Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
@ms-gg do you gel and put a scarf on for a while to get the waves when you wear a puff? Or does it do that on it's own?

Hey Pook :)

I either use aloe vera gel by itself or aloe gel+worlds of curl activator gel. I smooth it on then wrap my satin or silk scarf around my edges. I leave it on for about 15 minutes or more. HTH