2023 - 2024 Ayuravedic Treatments Challenge

Dare~to~Dream

I did my ayurvedic "Hair Wash" for the first time. It was an experience to say the least. I didn't do a patch test first and ended up with a little irritation on one side of my neck as the mixture dripped. It has to be one of the new powders that I tried like aritha or neem. I am used to making an actual paste for my ayurvedic masks so for the next time I will go back to that instead of a watery mixture. Or maybe something in between. This was messier than usual and I think some got in my eye though it did not burn just slight irritation SMH. I also made the mistake of adding pure aloe vera gel. I didn't even add a lot just enough to add some moisture. Despite putting it into the food processor then straining it, I had some aloe vera residue in my hair and nothing got it out not even the Henna Sooq cleansing cowash. I never had this issue before but then again I always used pure aloe vera gel as pre-shampoo followed by a commerically available shampoo. I removed what I could very carefuly with my fingers. I got the idea to add pure aloe vera gel from a few websites that I consulted but next time if I want to add some extra moisture, I will just use aloe vera powder instead. First time mistakes. I will play around with different mixes and ratios after I rule out what caused the skin irritation. It was only slight irritation but it was irritation nonetheless.

Anyway, my curls were tightly coiled/clumped after rinsing and my scalp feels great so that is the most important thing to me. My hair also felt clean despite the aloe vera residue. My scalp not having irritation is a huge plus. I used Annabelle's Perfect Blend Ayurvedic Hair Serum for the first time and I love that stuff. I also added some Annabelle's Perfect Blend Ayurvedic Hair Creme. These were basically my leave-in "conditioners." The directions state to use them both on damp hair but they can also be used on dry hair too.

snoop

Okra and honey. I didn't think that it would do much, but my hair feels so soft and fluffy.

I made a mistake and applied it to dry hair. I normally apply my hair masks to dry hair and so it was just automatic for me, but I left it in for about half an hour and my hair was saturated and feeling wet by the time I went to rinse it out.

Dare~to~Dream

I just finished my hair for the evening but still have to blow dry it later. This was my second week doing the ayurvedic "wash." I did a patch test on all of the powders separately but couldn't rule anything out as I had no irritation. *Shrugs.* I made sure to have a towel to drape around my neck to prevent any drippage.

This time I used more of the cleansing powders to make a thicker paste like consistency. It was working well and wasn't as messy until it got messy again. Some got into my eye again and this time it burned! :angry2: I think it is due to the way I rinsed in the shower. The irritation is gone after water rinsing my eye then following up with some eye drops. But, I have to find a way to prevent this from happening because as much I am liking the way my scalp feels, I might have to quit it. I am going to try a different way of rinsing it out using the handheld shower head instead of my fixed showerhead. I am also going to consider ordering these eye shields but from the reviews it can be a hit or miss. Now for the results.

My hair felt very stripped due to me increasing the amount of powders I used. It was so clean and so stripped that my hair almost squeaked lol. I used a hair butter in my hair this week too so it was nice to see that these powders got my hair pretty clean. I decided to to do the scratch test this time too and it passed (I dont typically have dandruff or scalp buildup though). My scalp feels so amazing right now which is why I want to do this for a third week like I originally planned even though my eye really bothered me. The way my scalp feels makes me want to continue this indefinitely (3 weeks on/1 week off) but I have to find a way to keep it out of my eyes!

I followed up with Henna Sooq Sweet Honey Enriching Hair Nourisher and this is an excellent product. I knew that it was good almost immediately since I could finger detangle in some sections of my hair right after applying. It was really just a test as I saved my actual detangling until I after I applied heat. I used this with my heat cap for about 30 minutes then detangled effortlessly. This hair nourisher is a keeper. It kind of reminded me of the honey and olive oil treatments I used to back in the day but this is less sticky. I did not feel the need to follow up with the Henna Sooq Cleansing CoWash like the directions say because my hair felt really really good.

I then used the same leave-ins I used last time but this time I did something a little different with the ayurvedic hair creme. I decided to try a version of the Kimmaytube recipe but instead of aloe vera juice, I used some of the leftover pure aloe vera gel that I strained really well and added a few drops of two oils. I loved how slippery and almost gooey it made the creme and it feels so good on my hair. The real test is how my hair looks and feels after I blow dry it.

Last edited:

MzSwift

@Dare~to~Dream

Oh no!
I grew up washing my hair in the kitchen sink. Could you rinse out your cleanser that way? Bending forward at the waist to get under the water and then either standing on something or get onto your tippy toes when you get to the back so that you're more shaped like a "V" should help the water run away from your eyes.

Sounds like your hair is loving what you're doing! :)

snoop

@Dare~to~Dream
How do you wash your hair? I wash mine in the shower with my back to the shower head then tilt my head back and rinse for a few minutes. By the time I'm ready to change angles to wash the side or my nape, most of the powders are out. But before I do, I will slowly and carefully put my head in an upright position, then squeegee my face with my hands. If I think it'll be particularly bad, I keep a dry washcloth nearby so that I can use that instead.

And that Hair Nourisher is absolutely amazing! I love it! I think it's their best product.

Dare~to~Dream

Oh no!
I grew up washing my hair in the kitchen sink. Could you rinse out your cleanser that way? Bending forward at the waist to get under the water and then either standing on something or get onto your tippy toes when you get to the back so that you're more shaped like a "V" should help the water run away from your eyes.
I have avoided doing this in the kitchen because of ayurvedic mask/powders and I also I don't really like standing on my tiptoes anymore lol but it may be worth a try.
Sounds like your hair is loving what you're doing! :)

Yes, I am loving the results so far.
How do you wash your hair? I wash mine in the shower with my back to the shower head then tilt my head back and rinse for a few minutes. By the time I'm ready to change angles to wash the side or my nape, most of the powders are out. But before I do, I will slowly and carefully put my head in an upright position, then squeegee my face with my hands. If I think it'll be particularly bad, I keep a dry washcloth nearby so that I can use that instead.
This was the way I was washing my hair before I got my double shower head which includes a handheld one. Once I got the new showerheads, I started washing my hair in sections (mostly two but on a rare occasion 4). When I washed the two secions, I would use the handheld to rinse each side of my head and the water flow is nowhere near my face. I did this for most of last year when I did my regular ayurvedic masks (that were conditioning mask not cleansing ones like these are). This year, I decided to switch to washing my hair with my back facing the shower again which was fine for shampoo but for some reason the powders are getting in my eyes (not both eyes at the same time but it has happened twice now). I am thinking the mixture itself is still not thick enough and it is still running down my face in the front. My regular conditioning ayurvedic masks were always more thicker.

If I don't order the eye shields, I might try your washcloth method.

And that Hair Nourisher is absolutely amazing! I love it! I think it's their best product.
Yes! I thought I loved their cowash but I have to admit that this the best ayurvedic product I have tried from them so far. I will make sure to buy a few more jars during their next sale so that I can always have some on deck.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

So here is my weekly update. Since I have been feeling under the weather, I decided to use Henna Sooq's Cleansing Conditioning Cowash and not fool with powders or even shampoo. No muss no fuss and took very little time from start to finish. This Henna Sooq product acts as both a mild cleanser and regular rinse-out conditioner for me and of course it has ayurvedic ingredients so I was able to keep my three week ayurvedic schedule. I had styled my hair in small-ish two strand twists for the week so I decided to just cowash my hair with them in. I discovered the "vine wrap" method for twists so I decided to give it a try. This style is a switch up from my typical style and it was a nice change for me. Now, with the ease of "washing" my hair with them in I am considering changing my regimen up and keeping them in for at least 2-3 weeks. I was able to lightly scrub my scalp with my scalp massager and they did not come down like twists or even plaits have in the past. Sure, some were a bit too loose at the root and I re-did them but it took ony seconds. My scalp feels so nice and clean and for me that is the most important thing since I have been bothered with my scalp in this one spot for quite some time now. I am really beginning to wonder if commercial shampoo was one the culprits that aggravated that part of my scalp.

So that is my update. This "3 weeks out of the month ayurvedic regimen" was a trial but now I want to do it indefinitely. I am thinking one week I would use the cleansing powders (that will also be the week I won't have the twists in), then do two weeks of co-washing with the Henna Sooq product with the small-ish twists in. Finally, on the fourth week I would reset with shampoo and my regular deep conditioning. My original plan was to try the cleansing powders three weeks out of the month and use the cowash during those three weeks as needed but I think my new plain suits me better. I will be figuring the "logistics" of this new regimen out and will try it for at least 2-3 months and maybe even longer. I have been a member of this website for a very long time and I have been using commercial shampoo at least once and sometimes twice a week for a very long time as well. Despite keeping up with a consistent regimen, moisturizing my ends and keeping them tucked away as well using growth aides off and on, and taking supplements for general health and for hair, I have hit a plateau that has lasted for many, many years now. It's not going to hurt to switch things up and try something different for a change because "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result..." well you know the rest of the saying.

Last edited:

MzSwift

OK, something must be in the air bc I was sick as a dog this last week into this week. So I missed my 2 week wash and DC mark.
I'm finally feeling a bit better so I decided to wash and DC (w heat) today using the new Dabur products. I'm week 3 in my mini twists and I do everything in these twists.

1708656854565.png
Shikakai poo- Like my other "store bought" ayurvedic Shikakai poo, I find it made my hair feel very "proteiny." It felt rougher than usual and clean. Smells great! I could definitely use it as my "hard poo" when I want to strip or clean my hair before using heat or going into long-term PSing.

1708656900820.png
Honey + Egg DC - I've used this since last April. It has a nice, thick and creamy texture. It smells great, very strong smell though. It doesn't really feel like a protein in my hair even though it has egg and henna in it. It's a good balanced DC. Which is exactly what I want from my regular 2 week DC. I'll have to look somewhere else for my protein tx. Which brings me to my next product...

1708656947962.png
I used this Coconut and Castor volumizing condish as my leave in on the left side of my hair.. It smells very good, a little strong. I knew it would feel "proteiny" bc it mentions coconut oil and henna in the description, both of which react like protein in my hair, making it hard/rough. I tend to stay away from coconut oil in my hair and I only use henna with very moisturizing ingredients. I also find castor oil to usually be too heavy for my fine strands. But I decided to try this one bc Suave Tropical Coconut was my staple cheapie condish for all of my Ayurvedic mixes until this year. The Dabur condish is nice and creamy. Not runny but not as thick as a DC. My hair dried like it does when I add a boost of protein to it - it dried with more curl texture. A good use for this condish could be rubbing it into the ends of my hair once a week or so for extra protection before tucking them away. OR cornrowing my hair with it.

1708656997466.png

The Virgin Olive nourishing condish is also a new one I tried. I applied it to the right side of my hair as a leave in. This one has Olive oil, almond oil and henna. And it smells heavenly! This side of my hair dried straighter, more elongated and also softer. Also, it looked and felt a bit oily but there was no oil residue on my fingers after touching it. I expected it to be soft bc my hair absolutely LOVES EVOO and almond oil. I love that this is thicker than my usual cheapie but I probably won't repurchase. I'm gonna stick with my cheapie. Probably good anyway bc this one is often sold out on Amazon. HOWEVER, it also comes in a DC. I bought the DC for my mom a few years ago and it's her favorite DC! It would be worth keeping in mind if I need a break from mixing my own products. I think I might use this condish as a heavy sealant in the summer when I don't want to use oil to seal.

For me, the conditioners are just too expensive ($9-$10/ bottle) to use them as my daily leave in. I apply my condishes too heavy handedly for that. I think I may use them combined as a leave in if I'm going to an event where I'll be hugging ppl or going out dancing where I want my hair to smell really good. lol They are much thicker than the cheapies I'm used to. But, I prefer my own mixes for daily use bc the powders and other herbal ingredients have a higher potency in my mixes. And there are less unknown ingredients.

Dare~to~Dream

This week was the shampoo reset. I did my first wash with the twists in and used my scalp clearing massager to really get into the roots or at least I thought I was getting to the roots. This was done with an all-purpose shampoo that has a mild sulfate. Scalp felt fine. I warmed some of my pumpkin seed oil with some other oil the applied the warm oil to my twists and began taking them out. Two weeks really is my limit. I have very fine hair that can easily lock and there were a few twists in which the strands were trying to stick together but it was not a big issue. I also thoroughly detangled at this time so I expected the shed hair.

Now this is where it gets interesting. With my twists now out, I did a second shampoo with my sulfate free moisturizing shampoo and used the scalp massager again like I normally do. After rinsing my scalp burned a bit which I thought was odd. It only lasted about 10 seconds max but I felt it. This shampoo is very gentle and one of the most moisturizing shampoos I have used in years so I was confused that it would now irritate my scalp. Then I remembered reading an old ayurvedic thread on here and one of the members said that after resetting with commercial shampoos after weeks of using ayurvedic cleansers, you can expect a sore scalp. My scalp was not sore so that was good. Now, I am using a scalp spray that has capsicum in it so maybe that was a factor too but I never have a burning sensation when using the spray on my scalp and I did not feel the sensation with my sulfate shampoo unless the twists prevented the shampoo from getting to my scalp even though I used the massager. Not sure what to think but the feeling did not last long. One thing that I do want to make note of is that my scalp felt so much better during the weeks that I was using ayurvedic stuff. Like even if my scalp didn't burn for those 10 seconds it stiil did not feel as good or even as clean as when I was using the ayurvedic "cleansers." So that is another interesting thing.

So now on to the ayurvedic part of this week's process. I had no plans to use ayurveda anything this week but then I decided that I wanted to use my regular ayurvedic powders (the ones that have some moisturizing properties), for a conditioning gloss like mask. I mixed zizyphus, aloe, fenugreek powders along with a little amla for good measure with hot distilled water and let it sit overnight. On the day of my shampoo, I mixed several tablespoons of some Annabelle's Perfect Blend conditioners (cholesterol and moisturizing) and then added the rest of my pure amla oil, some Jamaican black castor oil, and some olive oil. I might have put some pumpkin seed oil in it too. Very nice thick mask that felt soft as a cloud on my hair. I used my heat cap for about 25 minutes with the mask on then rinsed. I did not follow up with another rinse out conditioner because my hair felt nice enough without it.

However, when applying my leave-in conditioning mix and combing that through with my heat protectant, I had a two small-ish knots that I had cut to out of my hair. Another knot I was able to detangle to get rid of it thus saving the hair, and one SSK that I cut. It has been a long time since I dealt with knots larger than a SSK. So I don't know if that is due to my not adding a rinse out conditioner and detangling with that in like I normally do or if it was caused my the two strand twists that I kept in for two weeks even though I did thorough detangle with oil in them as took them down. Since I shampooed again, maybe it caused those hairs to knot up again. This is still an experiment so hopefully I can find out the best ways to do this regimen without losing any major issues.

I have not installed the mini/small twists yet so I am debating on doing that or just keeping my hair in the large bantu knots for the week which is my typical style. Now would be the time to do the small twists though because in exactly 2.1 weeks, I will be using my clarifying shampoos in preparation for a flat iron/silk press. I will make up my mind soon.

Last edited:

snoop

So here is my weekly update. Since I have been feeling under the weather, I decided to use Henna Sooq's Cleansing Conditioning Cowash and not fool with powders or even shampoo. No muss no fuss and took very little time from start to finish. This Henna Sooq product acts as both a mild cleanser and regular rinse-out conditioner for me and of course it has ayurvedic ingredients so I was able to keep my three week ayurvedic schedule. I had styled my hair in small-ish two strand twists for the week so I decided to just cowash my hair with them in. I discovered the "vine wrap" method for twists so I decided to give it a try. This style is a switch up from my typical style and it was a nice change for me. Now, with the ease of "washing" my hair with them in I am considering changing my regimen up and keeping them in for at least 2-3 weeks. I was able to lightly scrub my scalp with my scalp massager and they did not come down like twists or even plaits have in the past. Sure, some were a bit too loose at the root and I re-did them but it took ony seconds. My scalp feels so nice and clean and for me that is the most important thing since I have been bothered with my scalp in this one spot for quite some time now. I am really beginning to wonder if commercial shampoo was one the culprits that aggravated that part of my scalp.

So that is my update. This "3 weeks out of the month ayurvedic regimen" was a trial but now I want to do it indefinitely. I am thinking one week I would use the cleansing powders (that will also be the week I won't have the twists in), then do two weeks of co-washing with the Henna Sooq product with the small-ish twists in. Finally, on the fourth week I would reset with shampoo and my regular deep conditioning. My original plan was to try the cleansing powders three weeks out of the month and use the cowash during those three weeks as needed but I think my new plain suits me better. I will be figuring the "logistics" of this new regimen out and will try it for at least 2-3 months and maybe even longer. I have been a member of this website for a very long time and I have been using commercial shampoo at least once and sometimes twice a week for a very long time as well. Despite keeping up with a consistent regimen, moisturizing my ends and keeping them tucked away as well using growth aides off and on, and taking supplements for general health and for hair, I have hit a plateau that has lasted for many, many years now. It's not going to hurt to switch things up and try something different for a change because "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result..." well you know the rest of the saying.

I hadn't heard of "vine wraps" and looked them up. These seem like a good idea, but I'm wearing mini twists right now and it feels like it could take another hour just to install those? These seem like they would be a lot better for the ends and would also allow me to wear my hair out without worrying about my ends getting damaged. Even though I use spiral elastics, I sometimes think that wearing them too often or on wet/damp hair like I do, can't be that good for my hair.

As for your plan, it just reminded me that I wanted to do something similar with my hair routine and forgot to implement it. I need to write it down/schedule it for next month so that I don't forget.

snoop

There's definitely something in the air. The fam has been going through it for 2 weeks now. First, the kiddos, now me and one kiddo who can't seem to shake it. I didn't get to wash my hair last week because I was too caught up in looking after them, but missed this weekend because I was sick. I managed to wash my hair yesterday, though.

This week: yucca root + honey, coltsfoot, sage, (and a small amount of horsetail and rosemary -- small because I was making a "shampoo" batch for the whole family and ran out.)

Every other week I do a "moisturizing" wash so I want every second moisturizing wash to be a yucca wash and every first wash to be a clay wash. This way I can get the benefits of both because even though I love the clay, I feel like I can experience more healing properties for my scalp when I make tea rinses.

I still haven't set up my herbal oil yet, but I promise myself that that will be done by the end of the week. This time, I want to be intentional about the type of oil I'm infusing and so I'll have to do a bit of research.

Dare~to~Dream

I hadn't heard of "vine wraps" and looked them up. These seem like a good idea, but I'm wearing mini twists right now and it feels like it could take another hour just to install those? These seem like they would be a lot better for the ends and would also allow me to wear my hair out without worrying about my ends getting damaged. Even though I use spiral elastics, I sometimes think that wearing them too often or on wet/damp hair like I do, can't be that good for my hair.
I do like this method and it may take time some to do them on the ends of each twists correctly. I am not sure which videos you watched but I watched a couple of them from one YouTube vlogger to ensure I would get it right. It worked really well the first two weeks for me. Then I reset and installed another set of twists and this is where I ran into trouble. I got the bright idea to make more of my ayurvedic tea spritz and use it on this current set of mini twists. Though the herbs were supposed to be more moisturizing it turns out it was still too strengthening to use on these small twists. In the past the spritz worked well on larger twists/bantu knots. I followed the spritz with my daily moisturizing spray but it still was not enough moisture. So on a few of my twists the "vine wrap" actually formed a knot that I had to struggle to get loose or risk losing the hair. It was definitely due to the more strengthening ayurvedic tea spritz....because as the hair slipped down and formed a coil the spritz created a hard cast and it ended up creating a knot out of the coil. So if you do this method make sure not to use any strenghtening sprays or hard gels and continue to use moisturizing sprays/cremes or emolient hair balms/butters instead. I learned my lesson with that one but this was only my third week of wearing my hair like this and I decided to switch things up.
As for your plan, it just reminded me that I wanted to do something similar with my hair routine and forgot to implement it.
I did not write my plan out yet because I am thinking that mini twists might not be a long term style for me. These two weeks were different from my first two weeks aside from the ayurvedic spray mishap/knotted ends. I cowashed this week with the ends loose and left them that way but I find that even with moisturizing, my hair is drier and I am seeing little pieces of both shed hair and broken hair if I touch it briefly. So I have to keep my hands out of my hair. It is also time for a protein treatment too so that could be another reason. I still plan to do this regimen for a little while longer. Maybe for the month of April and going into May. I plan to wear my hair straight the last few weeks of March.

As far as the ayurvedic spritz, I will still make it but I will be switching back to glycerin instead of sodium lactate. I used sodium lactate in place of glycerin early on in my hair journey (there are old posts here about it) and back then it was better than glycerin for me. Now, over a decade and some change later it is not....granted I am not using the same brand but still... I think the sodium lactate was a factor as well for how strong the spritz turned out this time.
I need to write it down/schedule it for next month so that I don't forget.
Yes, write it down. I would be interested to read it your regimen if you decide to post it here.

Last edited:

BeautifulRoots

I would like to join. I have a bunch of powders, oils, and ayurvedic products I need to get through. I plan to come back and update with what I am using at the moment.

How I plan to use them:
- Oil length of hair before washing as a prepoo with premade and DIY oils.
- Use up Vatika DCs that I have in my stash

First up:
Auromere preshampoo conditioner oil

Great ingredients, but this oil is just okay to me. I was hoping to like it more. The smell is quite strong with the wheat germ oil. I am a little over halfway done with the bottle. Really going to concentrate on getting through it the next few washes.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

I finally came up with a regimen that will allow me to do my regular routine and my ayurveda routine. In my mind, I was thinking it was going to be a six week regimen then I would start over with the reset process of using regular shampoos and deep conditioners. I documented the regimen in full detail in WORD and realized that it is actually a 5 week regimen that I will repeat. I will strictly be using ayurveda for 3 weeks out of the 5 week regimen. I may tweak the regimen as time goes on. My hair is still straight-ish after my latest silk press at the moment but I am ready to wash it out and begin this regimen on April 1st. I also documented the dates that I broke down in rounds (ex: Round 1, Round 2 so on and so forth). I will tentatively do this regimen until a specific date in September which at that time I will be doing my second silk press of the year. I don't normally use direct heat twice a year like that but I am trying to get on a specific schedule and September works for me. At least it will give me a chance to see if the regimen is working for me in 5 months time if I stick with it.

Last edited: