2023 - 2024 Ayuravedic Treatments Challenge

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Hey everyone! It's been a while since we've had an Ayuravedic challenge.

Here's a list (not comprehensive) of some powders, oils and masks you may have in your stash:
- Henna
- Indigo
- Fenugreek
- Amla
- Hibiscus
- Chebe
- Bhringraj
- Brahi
- pre-made mixes

Let's put your stash to use and get your hair growing. Feel free to share your recipes and how you plan to use over the next 14 months or so.

MzSwift

Recipes and how I plan to use them:

I primarily use powders. I premix these products approx. once a month (or whenever they run out).

Cleanser - Neem and Shikakai mixed with cheapie condish, castile soap and lemon EO

Leave in condish- Henna, Hibiscus and Amla mixed w cheapie condish and a few squirts of my hair oil

LOC or LCO- (daily M&Sing)

(C) - Herbal condish mix: Brahmi, Amla and Cassia mixed w condish and a little herbal infused Almond oil

(O) - Herbal oil mix: Amla infused EVOO + herbal blend infused Almond oil + sweet orange, carrot seed and red raspberry oil

(L) - Herbal tea in spray bottle: Fenugreek seed/Clove Bud/Nettle leaf tea + Brahmi, Bhringraj and HIbiscus tea + lavender and sweet orange EOs

Scalp oil - Bhringaraj and Amla, Nettle and Horsetail infused EVOO + peppermint, cayenne, clove bud, lavender and chamomile EOs

Moisturizing DC - Hibiscus paste mixed with Queen Helene Cholesterol, EVOO and salt.

Protein DC - **TBD** My go to mix is Queen Helene Cholesterol + baking soda + Amino Acids + sweet orange oil for scent. I use that after my relaxers.

My hair stays in braids or twists 95-99% of the time. And I do all of my hair stuff in those braids/twists.

It looks like a lot but I'm a big follower of KISS.

-- Once or twice a month, I use Dr. Woods liquid Black Soap to wash instead of my cleanser.

-- I don't use any herbal products if I plan to straighten my hair or blow it out. I use my herbal hair oil after it's straightened or blown out though.

-- This year I bought Vatika Egg Protein w Honey DC. It has a nice, thick consistency that I like. It also has a strong soapy smell that stays in the hair for a long time after I rinse it out. lol

1701012975441.png
-- I recently bought Dabur Amla oil gold and use that in my hair oil mix. Doesn't really have a strong smell.

1701013011435.png

-- I also bought a pre-mixed herbal mix of sticks, seeds and leaves. Probably not gonna repurchase bc I have a problem not knowing what's really in it. I'm planning to just buy dried herbs to make my own herbal mix.

Food Herbs Herbal Hair Oil Mix. It was really cheap though, only $8 on Amazon.

And when I backslide and get hair lazy, my favorite Ayurvedic poo is this:

VAADI Amla Shikakai and Reetha shampoo

Last edited:

mzteaze

I've got to get back to making fenugreek bars. It's fairly easy to make a big batch then freeze.

Here is the process I use (the video is in Italian so use closed caption). I like this process because you don't need to strain the fenugreek AND 2 to 4 tablespoons makes enough for nearly 8+ weeks of use. I pour into silicon molds and freeze.

mzteaze

Today I used a pre-packaged mask on my scalp called "ZIZYPHUS + MORINGA HAIR MASK" from Henna Sooq. It's great if you wanted to save time over mixing your own powders.

Here's the ingredients:
  • Zizyphus - Thickens Hair Strands⁠
  • Moringa - Boosts Keratin Production⁠
  • Amla - Promotes Hair Growth⁠
  • Fenugreek - Moisture and Slip⁠
  • Ashwagandha - Stimulates DHEA (antioxidant)⁠
Next time, since I have all of the ingredients, I will mix it up myself.

mzteaze

I've got to get back to making fenugreek bars. It's fairly easy to make a big batch then freeze.

Here is the process I use (the video is in Italian so use closed caption). I like this process because you don't need to strain the fenugreek AND 2 to 4 tablespoons makes enough for nearly 8+ weeks of use. I pour into silicon molds and freeze.

So, here are my notes from this last batch.

I started with 4 tablespoons of fenugreek powder and slowly added water while mixing with a spoon. However, I couldn't find the correct wand for my immersion blender. I tried using the whisk attachment for the immersion blender but it really wasn't getting the lumps out. After the first several adds of water (the mix will definitely be lumpy), I added the mix to my Vitamix then slowly drizzled hot water in. It whipped up so nicely that I will ALWAYS go that route then add water. It definitely made the process a little quicker.

Last edited:

long.hair.dont.care

Joining. :)

I've been adding a spoon of Henna and Aloe masque AND Amla and Bhringraj masque from Curly Proverbz in my deep condition sessions. I also add a spoon of rose powder for the hydration benefits... I am looking forward to strength, shine and hydration. I've done it in November and earlier this week. There was a wee bit of breakage (nothing out of the ordinary), but I think that's my fault for allowing my hair to become dry.

I still need to figure out how often is too often, or if I am strengthening my hair as often as it needs? Looking forward to finding out!

MzSwift

I did end up buying herbs for my scalp oil infusions.

My new scalp oil is:
Burdock root
Nettle roots
Horsetail leaves
Hibiscus petals

Infused in EVOO.
I mix that into a pointed tip bottle 60/40 with my Amla and Bhringraj infused Almond oil and then add a few drops of peppermint oil and lavender for scent.
This will be my scalp oil for 2024!

mzteaze

I bought Moringa to use in my weekly masks.

I was supposed to do my henna last week but had another hip injury. Hopefully I can do it this week.

mzteaze

Joining. :)

I've been adding a spoon of Henna and Aloe masque AND Amla and Bhringraj masque from Curly Proverbz in my deep condition sessions. I also add a spoon of rose powder for the hydration benefits... I am looking forward to strength, shine and hydration. I've done it in November and earlier this week. There was a wee bit of breakage (nothing out of the ordinary), but I think that's my fault for allowing my hair to become dry.

I still need to figure out how often is too often, or if I am strengthening my hair as often as it needs? Looking forward to finding out!

Welcome! :bounceline:

Dare~to~Dream

I'm in. I was doing various ayurvedic masks at least once a month for almost all of last year. I also started making ayurvedic hair spritzes to use as a once or twice weekly strengthening spray on my hair. I still have some powders left but will be buying more because starting in February, I am going to try some of the powders to cleanse my scalp and hair for a few weeks out of the month. I have never tried the super cleansing ayurvedic powders before so this is really going to be a trial for me and if I like it, I will keep it up.

Powders for Cleansing, Ayurvedic Spritzes and/or Once-A-Month Mask Treatments (ordered from various sources on the web)-
Brahmi
Amla
Fenugreek
Aloe Vera
Zizyphus
Shikakai
Neem
Areetha
*May add Bhringraj back into the mix*

Cleansing Cowash to use as a standalone or to help rinse out ayurvedic pastes or masks
Henna Sooq Cleansing Conditioning CoWash-Sweet Orange <---I have the other two versions as well but this one is the best amongst the three

Conditioning Treatment
Henna Sooq Sweet Honey Enriching Hair Nourisher

Styling and Daily Moisturizing Cremes
Annabelle's Perfect Blend Ayurvedic Hair Serum
Annabelle's Perfect Blend Ayurvedic Hair Creme

I don't plan on applying any oils to my scalp during the week. Any oils that I will use will be utilized as pre-shampoo oil treatments or hot oil treatments in between the cleansing and conditioning phase. Mostly I just plan to use the oils up that I have in my stash and I will not be repuchasing 98% of them.

Oils
Zenia Herbal Shikakai Hair Oil
Zenia Herbal Amla Hair Oil
Creekwood Naturals Cold-pressed 100% Pure Amla Oil
Henna Sooq Ayurvedic Oil
Curly Proverbz Fenugreek Elixir
My own infused oil mix (oils infused with fenugreek and kalonji/nigella seeds)

I think that is everything. If there is something else, I will come back and edit my post.

snoop

I'm in!

Yesterday I decided to go "old-school" with my clay mask and stuck to 3 ingredients: kaolin clay, goat's milk powder, and water.

I'm not sure if it's because of the weather or because the recipe is missing a lot of my regular ingredients, including ayurvedic powders, but my hair didn't feel the same. :nono:

snoop

Why do you add goat milk powder?

Honest answer? I first started using it because I wanted to be boogie and use something else that no one else was using. :look:

However, the interweb tells me that

• The lauric acid content in goat milk enhances its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties which are very effective in fighting dandruff and promoting a healthy scalp.
  • Vitamin A helps sebum production
  • B vitamins help improve blood circulation to the scalp, promoting hair growth
  • Goat milk contains lactic acid which is an alpha hydroxy acid often found in commercial chemical exfoliants
This last bullet, is my secondary reason for including it. I figure that between the clay and the milk, my scalp should stay flake free.

I've been using it in my clay masks for 5 years? Probably a lot longer than that.