2020/2021 Challenge - Cowash, Cocleanse, Mud Wash, Honey Cleanse, & Others

I am currently sitting with an herbal ACV rinse in my hair, but I'm going to follow up with a honey cleanse. This time, instead of making it into a "tea", I'm going to use straight honey. I'll report back later.

So, I've got mixed feelings about this, but leaning towards the positive. So I used the straight honey yesterday to cleanse. First, I rinsed out the ACV which I had sitting on my hair for an hour (it was diluted to a pH of 5). Then I worked the honey into my hair in sections. I rubbed it into my scalp where my hair was parted.

The honey that I was using was semi-solid and grainy so I didn't rub it through my scalp as I should because it would have been too abrasive.* I left it on my hair for about half an hour? I did a bit of a steam with it because some of the older threads claimed that when it's heated it doesn't change your hair colour.

When I was rinsing it out, I could smell the product the week before. Not sure if this was the product being lifted out or being re-activated from not being removed, since I didn't smell anything but the vinegar rinse at the pre-poo stage. I didn't follow up with conditioner. I plopped my hair. And went for a nap. When I woke up I took off the wet towel and started moisturizing my hair.

Observations: Yesterday, was super sunny! So I'm not sure if it was the fact that we had some real sun or if it was the honey, but my hair had a reddish glow to it. My natural hair colour isn't black, but you can only really see that it isn't when it's sunny out. But I don't want to play around with lightning my hair at the moment.

The other thing that I noticed was that my hair was really soft. It felt nice. Unfortunately, glycine spray and shea butter to moisturize and seal my hair -- I also used a moisturizer in between. The problem is that sometimes shea butter leaves my hair feeling hard at other times my hair ends up feeling really soft, so I won't have any idea how the honey makes my hair feel on its own.

Overall, it's going to stay in my regimen. It's for so many beneficial properties for scalp health. I would prefer to use it straight instead of diluted now that I know that it's an option.

My new regimen might look something like, clay wash, conditioner rinse, honey mask for 3 weeks then, protein treatment, shampoo, conditioner on week 4.:scratchchin:

*Note: I didn't want to microwave the honey to melt it, because I didn't want to destroy any of the properties. I did set it in a warm bath which melted it a bit.

Used a premix mud mask on saturday.

It has a shea butter blended in and because so It does say use heat or steam. I have never did it before but it was a good experience. I made sure my hair was damp, then slowly added it in. Jumped in the shower and watched the water rinse cloudy. After rinsing hair was soft and fluffy.

Wash
Kaolin clay + goat's milk powder + herbal/botanical tea

Conditioner
Giovanni Smooth as Silk + honey

Ms. Jessie's Cowash & a little corner of: UFD "Bye Bye Build Up" Cowash

Final R/O: SM's Weightless Moisture Cream Rinse

Not sure if it belongs in this challenge, but I did a water only wash yesterday. I concentrated on my scalp. I think that I had a lot of oil and stuff still in my hair from prior. After I just moisturized and sealed. My hair feels really good.:look:

I'd like to join

1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): Natural
2) Current hair length: Collar Bone
3) Ultimate hair length: Waist Length
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Thicker & stronger hair
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: alternating between clay and cowashing every week
6) Number of times per week you will do this: once a week
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: aztec indian clay, ayurvedic powders, mielle organics cowash
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): deep conditioning afterwards
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: right now I'm not sure. I don't have plans to really use traditional shampoo at the moment
10) List shampoo:

Cowashed with the Mielle Organics cowash. I'm not sure that I like this product. I have another unopened bottle but I don't think I'll repurchase. I liked the Cream of Nature co wash much better.

Cowashed my hair with the mielle organics cowash. I used it all and won’t be repurchasing. Didn’t care for it. Maybe I had a bad bottle but it was too watery for me

Back