2015 WIG CHALLENGE

My hair easily breaks. Would this over moisturize if done daily?

There may be a possibility. My scalp doesn't seem to mind baggying and I did it longterm lol (for days at a time) but my hair gets a bit limp (I noticed this as I started wanting to wear my hair out more).

My hairline breaks easily but when I baggied, my hair was in braids. I did notice some breakage maybe due tension and too much moisture IDK, so I started doing the singles around my hair line.

@trebell

I deep condition and moisturize my hair once a week and then braid my hair first.

Then, several times, during the week, I moisturize my hair (still while in braids) with a spray moisturizing leave-in, then moisturize my braids with a cream (I smoosh the moisturizer into the braids) and hairline. Before putting on my wigs, I moisturize the hairline again and then add an edge restorer product (I've been using Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Edge Treatment) and then put on a mesh wig cap. Personally, I can't baggy under a wig because my scalp needs the air (hence the mesh wig caps) or it will get too hot for me. So far, so good!

Thank you. I need to protect my edges also. What's a mesh wig cap?

I think the nylon which has to be bad lol. And I have nothing to protect my fragile edges.
@trebell ok so that is likely the culprit. Those things are so drying to my hair. The spandex cap is slippery so I put a nylon cap on top of it to keep the wig from sliding off but the nylon doesn't touch my hair directly. I don't have the scalp issues like some where my scalp is bothered by the layering. If you have scalp issues, layering may not work for you.

@Aggie, dh and I have concluded that curly hair looks better on me too. It also looks a tad bit more realistic than silky, straight hair. How do you keep them from tangling.

@january noir, @HairPleezeGrow and others, how do you maintain curly wigs. Mine get matted at the nape kinda quick.

Hey girl I just spritz mine with a water and moisturizing conditioner mixture especially the nape. I put very minimal products in it like very little leave in and maybe a gel depending what type of definition I want. I also put small amount of sweet almond oil. I leave it alone for a few days like 4 and then do it all over again after cowashing. I wash product out with cleansing or poo once every 2 weeks and let hair dry after styling.

Thanks @divachyk
The tutorial was really helpful for me. I figure I can do the same thing using straight hair thats a little longer to make a low ponytail while avoiding too many bobby pins. Of course I wouldnt need the bun maker though. Im set with hairstyles for the next few weeks.

I'm so busy with school and home that I've been staying in buns and occasionally in wigs. But I'm not nearly as cute in a bun as I am in a wig, so back to wigging, hot weather and all!:gorgeous:

I'm in the process of making my first wig. It's a Senegalese twist crochet wig. Next I'm gonna make a kanekalon rod twist wig.

I'm also in the BSL-MBL 2015, sulfur, & MN challenges.

My reggie:
Sunday is wash/braid-redo day.
1. Wash/DC every 3 weeks.
2. M&S heavily & 5 braids for wig.
3. Wig off for gym, wear cute do-rag. (Wal-Mart has cute ones for $1)
4. Water rinse scalp weekly, then unbraid to remove shedding, M&S, rebraid.
5. Oil scalp 1x week on takedown day

I bought a wig two weeks ago:lachen:and forgot to come back to update y'all.
I went to a store by myself and couldn't find a curly wig that looked good on me. They all looked gigantic and my face was buried in them. I figured wavy would look better on me and it did but the store didn't have the color I was looking for.
I was so desperate and thought I wasn't going to find anything that I asked a friend to go to another beauty supply store with me. I tried at least 6 wigs before I found the right one. :eek:
I thought my head was big but my friend made me realize that was not the problem. My face is oblong and so is my forehead. I just needed bangs to cover it all.
I ended up buying something totally different from what I was aiming to buy and I actually like it. It's a Diana Bohemian Wig, Egyptian.
It's a synthetic wig so I'm not expecting it to last long. I'll definitely get some more wigs but they need to have a bang or be a really nice lacefront.

PhotoGrid_1430671974983.jpg

I bought a wig two weeks ago:lachen:and forgot to come back to update y'all.
I went to a store by myself and couldn't find a curly wig that looked good on me. They all looked gigantic and my face was buried in them. I figured wavy would look better on me and it did but the store didn't have the color I was looking for.
I was so desperate and thought I wasn't going to find anything that I asked a friend to go to another beauty supply store with me. I tried at least 6 wigs before I found the right one. :eek:
I thought my head was big but my friend made me realize that was not the problem. My face is oblong and so is my forehead. I just needed bangs to cover it all.
I ended up buying something totally different from what I was aiming to buy and I actually like it. It's a Diana Bohemian Wig, Egyptian.
It's a synthetic wig so I'm not expecting it to last long. I'll definitely get some more wigs but they need to have a bang or be a really nice lacefront.

View attachment 326093
Very cute wig. I'm a sucker for bangs. I haven't had them in a while but I love bangs.

I'm so busy with school and home that I've been staying in buns and occasionally in wigs. But I'm not nearly as cute in a bun as I am in a wig, so back to wigging, hot weather and all!:gorgeous:

I'm in the process of making my first wig. It's a Senegalese twist crochet wig. Next I'm gonna make a kanekalon rod twist wig.

I'm also in the BSL-MBL 2015, sulfur, & MN challenges.

My reggie:
Sunday is wash/braid-redo day.
1. Wash/DC every 3 weeks.
2. M&S heavily & 5 braids for wig.
3. Wig off for gym, wear cute do-rag. (Wal-Mart has cute ones for $1)
4. Water rinse scalp weekly, then unbraid to remove shedding, M&S, rebraid.
5. Oil scalp 1x week on takedown day

@HappyAtLast
Are you using the hair thats already twisted and ready to put on the crochet hook? How are you gonna make a wig with this type of hair?

I ordered some of this but its not as long as it looks on the package

It's pretwisted. I'm crocheting it on a weaving cap. There's videos on YouTube.
I bought it in a 4.
B_B_GoldenState-Senegal-Sould-Braid(1)_500.jpg
@HappyAtLast
Are you using the hair thats already twisted and ready to put on the crochet hook? How are you gonna make a wig with this type of hair?

I ordered some of this but its not as long as it looks on the package

Back