2015 WIG CHALLENGE

GGsKin

Thanks for sharing cynd!
I have purchased some silk beanies and have considered a silk or satin headband.
I can't afford any damage to my hairline.

I recently lost a piece of hair at my nape but that could have been due to tension as well as poor detangling. I wear a bag, a silk scarf and a stocking (in that order) under my wigs. I try not to tie too tight and I change up my braid pattern so whereas I was doing canerows going back, I started doing a horizontal braid at my nape. I'll sometimes do 4 or 5 singles in the front and two or 3 canerows in the main body. I currently have three large canerows, and two single plaits at my nape. I find the single seem to be keeping the pressure off. But I am paying close attention.

FollicleFanatic

Finally finished and wore the wig I made. I crocheted the hair onto a net cap and crocheted some hair onto the first 2 inches of the front 5 of my braids. So i guess I'm wearing it more as a half wig.

I bobby pinned the sides and top to prevent slipping and it worked out great. Now I have the look of crochet braids that I can pop on and off with ease and a quicker take down.

GGsKin

Why the bag @abysblvd

divachyk I am doing the intensive GHE/baggying as part of the maximum hydration method (MHM) known as the bald spot regimen, for a bald spot I am growing in.
I wash my hair as per the regimen and wear a bag for as long as I can stand (baggying doesn't bother me, I just want to wash or play in my hair) lol. I've been doing it consistently since September (longest stint has been 3 weeks straight!) and I think it has worked wonders.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Today, I received a lace front that I ordered on Saturday and I could cry.

It's the hair I wish I was born with... :cry: So thick, so long, so lush! :lol:
I'm afraid to wear it! :lol:

NGraceO

IN week FOUR of having this wig sewn to my head. I CANNOT believvvve I made it!!

I will be taking it off this Friday to shampoo, condition, and braid it back up to [possibly] do it all again. I'm thirsting for this three inches by June. A girl had GOALS!

Go me!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I just got this wig in the mail today. It's a unit from It's A Wig and I love it.
I'll be wearing it to the mall tomorrow :up:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Still wigging it out with Vanessa "La Jay" whole wig and loving it. I'm loving it so much that I bought 3 more before they take it off the market. I have been wearing the first one since October 2014 and it still looks really good. I do wash it and keep it clean and while it's drying, I would wear Vivica Fox's Kara. But I would always go back to La Jay. She's my baby.

I just started taking Mane Choice Manetabolism hair vitamins 2 days ago so hopefully, I will have some good hair growth coming in soon. I have not texlaxed my hair since April last year and I have even big chopped in June, 2014....again! I think that was the last one. My hair has pretty much been cornrowed under a wig since then. Only a tiny portion of my hairline is exposed in the front.

I wash and treat only once, sometimes twice a month. I don't have the time to go into hours and hours of dealing with my hair every week anymore:nono:.

Hey Aggie
I looked up Vanessa La Jay. It's very similar to the kinky wig I have. And I like it!

I like textured hair and most of my wigs are kinky, crinkly, curly or wavy.

I'm trying to stop being lazy with my hair.

I caused myself damage to my ends and had to get heavy trim last month. I rarely protected my hair except for silk and satin pillowcases. I did wash and goes and though I deep conditioned on a regular basis, I still did damage because of SSKs and tangling.

I usually take a daily multivitamin, but recently purchased a hair, skin and nail supplement. I hope this will help me with growth and strength too.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I also received the silk beanies from Pretty Antoinette and I like them.
You can use it under a wig or a hat. I also like that I can cover my braids (single plaits all over my head) when I need to take the trash out or answer the door.

They are thicker than a sleep cap and will keep your head warm - I know I won't be wearing wigs in the Summer, so for now, they will work.

Also, I received two complimentary Dream Deluxe wig caps with the lace front I recently purchased and they're pretty nice - I wore one yesterday and they don't pull and snatch the hair like the regular nylon wig caps and they're quite comfortable. They come in black, brown and nude.

I'm going to buy a few of these to use when the beanies make my head too hot.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Great review january noir on the PA's beanies. I may order one.

I'm wearing a satin bonnet today for the first time. Yall may recall, I usually wear a satin durag & nylon stocking. The satin bonnet was harder to stuff under the wig and things just appear off. My LF isn't laying as flat as it would wih doing the durag/nylon combo. And, I don't believe my hairline / wig transitions well. I just feel like my hair looks wiggy today with how it's sitting on my head. Just kinda hard to explain. So with that, I wonder if the PA beanies would be of the same situation.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Great review january noir on the PA's beanies. I may order one.

I'm wearing a satin bonnet today for the first time. Yall may recall, I usually wear a satin durag & nylon stocking. The satin bonnet was harder to stuff under the wig and things just appear off. My LF isn't laying as flat as it would wih doing the durag/nylon combo. And, I don't believe my hairline / wig transitions well. I just feel like my hair looks wiggy today with how it's sitting on my head. Just kinda hard to explain. So with that, I wonder if the PA beanies would be of the same situation.

divachyk
I'm wearing the PA beanie in the picture I posted last night. I don't think it will make your wig look wiggy. The outer band is thicker than a regular wig cap, but it works well for me. I have a slightly smaller than average head and my hair/braids is not as thick as others, so depending on your situation you may have a different experience. I say try the beanie. You can always use it even if you don't wear it under your wig.

divachyk

divachyk
I'm wearing the PA beanie in the picture I posted last night. I don't think it will make your wig look wiggy. The outer band is thicker than a regular wig cap, but it works well for me. I have a slightly smaller than average head and my hair/braids is not as thick as others, so depending on your situation you may have a different experience. I say try the beanie. You can always use it even if you don't wear it under your wig.

So true january noir or I'll give it to dh. We both ride motorcycles so we both could benefit from having one with having it under our helmets.

divachyk

A few random thoughts....

It seriously makes my day when someone says, I can't tell you're wearing a wig. Whether is a lie or truth, I gladly accept the compliment.

I am finding those being nosey about my hair (wig) and being borderline shady at first actually are secretly wanting to try their hand at wigs. Funny how that works. They come at me like my wig is an issue for them and then next thing I know they are confessing they've considered wigs.....BYE!

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
A few random thoughts....

It seriously makes my day when someone says, I can't tell you're wearing a wig. Whether is a lie or truth, I gladly accept the compliment.

I am finding those being nosey about my hair (wig) and being borderline shady at first actually are secretly wanting to try their hand at wigs. Funny how that works. They come at me like my wig is an issue for them and then next thing I know they are confessing they've considered wigs.....BYE!

It's nice to be noticed and complimented :up: Thanks for repping for the Wig Wearers Club! :lol:

There are many people with way too many hang ups about hair/wigs/makeup/dating/etc. etc., etc. :drunk: I'm happy that I'm open and unafraid.

I found that people want validation or "permission" to try things they are uncomfortable with and what you're doing is showing them that it's not hard nor is it about "fooling" people which a lot people believe that's the only reason to wear wigs and weaves.

For me, and I'm sure for you divachyk and the other ladies who wear wigs, it's about exercising all the possibilities and options that are there for us and taking charge of how we look and living our "best" lives. I have fine and thin hair, but if I want thick, long, cascading waves, well, I can have it! :lol: If I want short and sassy, but my hair isn't cooperating nor do I want to cut my hair, well, I can buy a wig and have it! :yep:

I didn't mean to go deep, but I realize that people have so many fears about wearing wigs or weaves when wigs and weaves (and braids) have been worn for centuries. It was a good idea then and it's still a good idea. :yep:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Today, I received a lace front that I ordered on Saturday and I could cry.

It's the hair I wish I was born with... :cry: So thick, so long, so lush! :lol:
I'm afraid to wear it! :lol:

OK Ladies,
Here's she is! I'm mad because I messed up on cutting the lace :sad: (I'm a novice), but it will be OK.

This wig has not been styled. I will be taking it to my stylist to thin out and layer accordingly. I also had to remove the combs on the sides because they were snagging my hair even with the wig caps on. This wig has so much hair, I really don't know how they manufactured it. :blush:

It can be parted down the center or on either side.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
That is gorgeous!! Is it a kinky straight wig?

Prettymetty
It's indian remy Italian Yaki. Italian Yaki is a coarse straight type hair.
When I spoke to the customer service agent, she said that the Italian Yaki looks more like African American natural hair that has been blow dried straight.

Last edited: