2015 APL/BSL Challenge

traceedeebee

I'm not wearing them but I do them on ny sister and girls. I usually only leave them in 3 weeks to a month bc i use synthetic hair and it doesn't last long especially how crazy they all sleep and the hair mats like crazy. Anyway when I do their braid downs I apply a leave in, oil and sealer bc I dont wash their hair until the 3 week mark. I do use a light oil like jojoba or almond on their scalp to make sure it doesnt get dry. If I could leave the crochets in longer I would wash their hair /scalp once a week.
I'm so glad you have experience with crochet braids. I've been wanting to do them, but I've been afraid. My last installation of box braids with synthetic hair caused some of my hair to be sliced through. I understand that box braids and crochet braids are different. I'm concerned with inadvertently cutting my fine hair with the synthetic hair. Is there a certain brand of hair you use? Do you have any YouTube videos you would recommend?

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'm so glad you have experience with crochet braids. I've been wanting to do them, but I've been afraid. My last installation of box braids with synthetic hair caused some of my hair to be sliced through. I understand that box braids and crochet braids are different. I'm concerned with inadvertently cutting my fine hair with the synthetic hair. Is there a certain brand of hair you use? Do you have any YouTube videos you would recommend?

Since you're braiding all the way to the ends with box braids can you use the oil while braiding and making sure your hair is really coated and moisturized so it isnt ruff on your hair? I dont know of any YT videos but look for ones with great comments and suggestions. Also were your braids big or small?

traceedeebee

Since you're braiding all the way to the ends with box braids can you use the oil while braiding and making sure your hair is really coated and moisturized so it isnt ruff on your hair? I dont know of any YT videos but look for ones with great comments and suggestions. Also were your braids big or small?

Thank you! I'll make sure that my hair is moisturized use oil when I try to crochet. My braids were small but not quite micro. I found one source black women hair on YT. I'll keep looking though. I don't want to box braid my perimeter. That's where my finest strands are, and it's less dense. I want to try a style that is like a short bob. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.

gvin89

Thank you! I'll make sure that my hair is moisturized use oil when I try to crochet. My braids were small but not quite micro. I found one source black women hair on YT. I'll keep looking though. I don't want to box braid my perimeter. That's where my finest strands are, and it's less dense. I want to try a style that is like a short bob. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.

traceedeebee, by no means am I an expert (this is my 2nd time having them) but I will share that moisturizing your hair heavily before cornrowing will be beneficial. You have access to your scalp which makes it easy to oil. Both stylists blow dried me first. I used marley hair the first time....You have to recurl it like every week. I currently have water wave hair which mimics a twist out to me and I just shake-n-go every morning. I did a search on yt and pinterest to find style suggestions.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
traceedeebee, by no means am I an expert (this is my 2nd time having them) but I will share that moisturizing your hair heavily before cornrowing will be beneficial. You have access to your scalp which makes it easy to oil. Both stylists blow dried me first. I used marley hair the first time....You have to recurl it like every week. I currently have water wave hair which mimics a twist out to me and I just shake-n-go every morning. I did a search on yt and pinterest to find style suggestions.

Great advice! :)

traceedeebee

What does water wave feel like? I have Marley hair and it's coarse. I was just watching chocolate tresses after her install. I think that was her name. I believe she used the same hair. I'm all about shaking and going. Once I remove these mini braids, I'll need another low maintenance style. Can you wet the hair? I'm worried about my sweating from working out. I also get a scalp build up after 5 days, but I can get more jojoba for oiling my scalp. I'll have to cleanse my scalp to remove, or I'll be one itchy girl.

I'll come up with a pre and during regimen. That way I can share it with you guys for your input. Is that ok?

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Okay soooo I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my grays never turn a brown they always turn golden copper. I've even used more indingo to henna ratio but it still isnt working. Ah well guess I jist have to deal with the color it gives me lol.

Anyway here's the pics of ny hendigo. No different than they way it usually looks. All the color is result from my hendigo of my grays. My hair is not dyed and that should give you an idea of how much gray I have lol. For some reason though I have more gray in the front and sides than the back....

View attachment 290421

View attachment 290423

View attachment 290425

View attachment 290427

View attachment 290429

View attachment 290431

gvin89

What does water wave feel like? I have Marley hair and it's coarse. I was just watching chocolate tresses after her install. I think that was her name. I believe she used the same hair. I'm all about shaking and going. Once I remove these mini braids, I'll need another low maintenance style. Can you wet the hair? I'm worried about my sweating from working out. I also get a scalp build up after 5 days, but I can get more jojoba for I oiling my scalp. I'll have to cleanse my scalp to remove, or I'll be one itchy girl.

I'll come up with a pre and during regimen. That way I can share it with you guys for your input. Is that ok?

It's not heavy on my head...Still synthetic though. Has more of a shine to it than Marley. (Not me in pic)

2014-11-20 12.31.19.jpg

I haven't tried to wet this but my sis in law does...She has deep twist hair by freetress. Use a no rinse shampoo if worried about irritation. Sure you can come up with regimens, I may use them too ;-)

traceedeebee

Okay soooo I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my grays never turn a brown they always turn golden copper. I've even used more indingo to henna ratio but it still isnt working. Ah well guess I jist have to deal with the color it gives me lol.

Anyway here's the pics of ny hendigo. No different than they way it usually looks. All the color is result from my hendigo of my grays. My hair is not dyed and that should give you an idea of how much gray I have lol. For some reason though I have more gray in the front and sides than the back....

View attachment 290421

View attachment 290423

View attachment 290425

View attachment 290427

View attachment 290429

View attachment 290431
Your hair is pretty! I didn't know what shade hendigo put on hair. My friend is from India. She gave me a mix, and I was afraid to use it.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Your hair is pretty! I didn't know what shade hendigo put on hair. My friend is from India. She gave me a mix, and I was afraid to use it.

Thanks! You should try it out you may like it.

Eta- i dont use it for the coloring effect but for the other properties like strengthening. It just so happens I have ton of gray so I benefit from the dye deposits.

traceedeebee

It's not heavy on my head...Still synthetic though. Has more of a shine to it than Marley. (Not me in pic)

View attachment 290477

I haven't tried to wet this but my sis in law does...She has deep twist hair by freetress. Use a no rinse shampoo if worried about irritation. Sure you can come up with regimens, I may use them too ;-)

Now, I like this hair. I've been researching on the internet but didn't see that one. I'll have to make a trip to BSS store to see if I can find it. I would cut the back, though. It's odd that I'm growing my hair out when I prefer for nothing to be on my neck. I never know when a personal summer will engulf me:yep:

Oh, I don't know if you'd like what I come up with. I'm a planner, though. If I don't have one, I feel out of sorts. I don't restrict myself to following them, but I to have one...just in case.

Pre-cornrow
Pre-poo
Shampoo with Neutrogena T Sal(removes all build up from my scalp)
Deep condition with my Cantu DC (steam for 30 & under a conditioning cap for an hour)
Light rinse
Wrap with t-shirt for 5 minutes
Thoroughly detangle, apply leave in if needed, seal with JBCO mix and braid my hair into 12 to 16 braids to dry
Once dry, I'll see how stretched my hair is. Typically it's close to blow out stretched. If not, I'll blow it out.
Then cornrow my hair.
Install hair

During(cleanse)
No rinse shampoo(need to check out) or dilute my Dr Bronner's Tea Tree castille soap in a squirt bottle and apply to my scalp.
If I use Dr Bronner's, I'll need to rinse my scalp the same way 2-3 times
Dilute my leave in with oil and water in squirt bottle and apply to cornrows
Massage and seal with JBCO mix.

Maintenance
Apply leave in mix and jojoba oil during the week
Massage

What do you think? Too much...too little?

traceedeebee

Thanks! You should try it out you may like it.

Eta- i dont use it for the coloring effect but for the other properties like strengthening. It just so happens I have ton of gray so I benefit from the dye deposits.

I'll make it one of my 2015 experiments. If it strengthens hair, then that will end my quest for a protein product.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Detangling is the devil! I think I can retain more length by detangling an plaiting my hair in the middle of my DC process. I have tried this for my last three wash days and it's a keeper. I rinse with my hair in plaits and then take down the plaits and finish with a Twistout or WNG. After the detangle, it doesn't seem to matter which leave-in or styler I use, my hair is soft and cooperative. I am going to straighten for a length-check at the start of the year and see if my theory works for me.

caribeandiva

Human being
I'm in!
Current length:

What I plan on changing: Doing Aphogee 2 step protein treatments every 6-8 weeks and wigging 100% until December 2015.

Regimen: Shampoo and deep condition with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. apply olive or argan oil, leave ins, braid and wig. That's all. Trim as needed.

PlainJane

My relaxed ends are notttt happy with the heat I have been using. I'm so glad the holiday party season is over. I'm going back to braid outs as my "going out" style. I just wish I could get them to last more than one day.
Off to search some threads for tips...

beauti

hi ladies. Went ahead and straightened my hair after prepooing overnight. Used grape seed oil as heat protectant. Hair is silky soft. Will maintain at least two weeks. This is my official starting length. Think I'm gonna claim SL. I won't straighten again till June and hopefully by then will be APL...

Attachments

• 20141227_002751_resized.jpg
    20141227_002751_resized.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 20141227_002329-1_resized.jpg
    20141227_002329-1_resized.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 77

GGsKin

Hello
traceedeebee I love crochet braids as a low maintainance protective style. I've used both water wave and marley hair. I prefer the water wave /bohemian braid for simple ease. I rarely styled this hair and just let it do its thing.
It feels lovely and light the first few days. Then the hair begins to 'clump' a little more but still looks good. I'd keep mine in for up to 4 months at a time (I know! Don't judge lol). When it starts to get a little matted, I'd just cut those bits out.

Attachments

• 2014-04-19 02.22.43.jpg
    2014-04-19 02.22.43.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 70
  • 2014-12-29 00.39.34.jpg
    2014-12-29 00.39.34.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2014-12-28 23.32.09.jpg
    2014-12-28 23.32.09.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

traceedeebee

Hello
traceedeebee I love crochet braids as a low maintainance protective style. I've used both water wave and marley hair. I prefer the water wave /bohemian braid for simple ease. I rarely styled this hair and just let it do its thing.
It feels lovely and light the first few days. Then the hair begins to 'clump' a little more but still looks good. I'd keep mine in for up to 4 months at a time (I know! Don't judge lol). When it starts to get a little matted, I'd just cut those bits out.

:worship2: Hi! No judgement here. I think it's awesome that you can get four months out of a style. Your crochet braids are gorgeous! I was reading on another thread that water wave was good. I like the looser curl look to it. Do you have any issues taking it down after wearing it so long? What do you wear over your hair at night? Thank you so much for sharing! I'm preparing my list so I can do this in January. When you install what is the distance between the hair?

charmtreese

Starting pics. First pic before trim, last two after trim. Pics taken 12/28/14

Attachments

• image-2446951358.jpg
    image-2446951358.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2889897485.jpg
    image-2889897485.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4157389881.jpg
    image-4157389881.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1478700929.jpg
    image-1478700929.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

GGsKin

:worship2: Hi! No judgement here. I think it's awesome that you can get four months out of a style. Your crochet braids are gorgeous! I was reading on another thread that water wave was good. I like the looser curl look to it. Do you have any issues taking it down after wearing it so long? What do you wear over your hair at night? Thank you so much for sharing! I'm preparing my list so I can do this in January. When you install what is the distance between the hair?

Thank you:giggle: No, as long as I'm not rushing (or creating a mess in the first place). They are really easy to take down by either slipping off the knot or cutting out.
I sleep in a silk head scarf almost every night but this I something I have done for years and doesn't change when I'm in a PS.
Sounds obvious now but make sure to only tie hair around your braid. I started too far forward on one braid and when it came to the take down it tangled to the point I cut the piece out in frustration. I decided to give them a break after that but I love them and lived in them for a good year or more.

GGsKin

traceedeebee I usually do smaller canerows at the front and around half the amount of larger cane rows in the back. I will try to post old braid pattern pics (in my old phone) with it half done.

hairqueenny

Hello All! I would like to join this challenge for 2015

Current Length: Grazing APL
Hair: Natural
Goal Month: Full APL by March & BSL by Dec Reggie: Hair is usually braided under a weave as protective style. Wash every other week, DC under dryer. Moisturize braids every few days
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL: I plan to wear my hair out more often in between weaves to DC and massage scalp
Post a beginning picture: Sorry I was wearing a dark shirt but here's my current progress

image-1354185007.jpg

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

ckisland

Soooo my products plans are probably going to change because 1) one of my goals for 2015 is to budget, cut expenses, and save save save and 2) I just gave my own homemade mixes a try and my results are just as good as when I use AO or Giovanni :look: .

So now I have to build a new routine, but I ain't about brewing junk :lachen:. I'm sticking with multi-purpose and edible products: bentonite clay, acv, yogurt, honey, mayonnaise, bananas, and flaxseeds. I just need to build a routine around these concoction :lick:

Fotchygirl

Hi Ladies, I am officially joining this challenge.
1. SL
2. Relaxed
3. I would like to reach my goal in April 2015 which will be my 1 year anniversary of my HHJ.
4. My current Reggie was co-wash weekly, DC weekly with both protein for 15 mins and a moisturizing DC for an hour, M&S daily but that is about to change.
5. I am now in a weave and will be adopting the weave regimen from the hide your hair challenge until April.
6. Post a beginning pic:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 37

TheNDofUO

Everyday I love my hair more and more.

Attachments

• IMAG0810.jpg
    IMAG0810.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0757_1.jpg