2014 Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Froreal3

I make sure the bun is loose. I either use headbands or scunci elastics. I make sure I don't pull too hard or use too much tension.

toaster

Bumping! Thought I'd post some pictures of my ever present bun. Roller setting has been good for my hair. I can make loose buns and keep my hair stretched and moisturized. It still reverts because of my work outs and showers but I think my hair likes it. I like it better than wet bunning because I think my hair looks "cuter" although wet bunning grew my hair out to hip length so I'll :love: it forever.

Sometimes I think back to that day in November of 2012 when I took scissors to my head and I get so mad. Oh well. Journey back to hip length by 2015.

Also I noticed my edges started to disappear but using the sulfur pomade and taking Hairfinity is making them grow back nicely.

Attachments

• image-751525662.jpg
    image-751525662.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3635007127.jpg
    image-3635007127.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3831575382.jpg
    image-3831575382.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3330355412.jpg
    image-3330355412.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Took out my braids after just about four weeks. Did a protein treatment, dced, moisturized and sealed. Hair is soft and supple. I wore my hair I two loose braids on either side of my head.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
The braids were cool, but I do like to use my products every week and DC properly. The braids were easy to wash, but they did get really fuzzy. I think I will do at least a couple weeks with my hair in twists and buns before I go back to braids. toaster

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'll join. Trying to get better about participating in challenges especially when they fit in to what I'm already doing. Plus toaster is my roller setting sister. lol

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
I braid in between roller sets. So one week I roller set, one week I braid to let my hair rest and repeat the process. I initially wanted to do senegalese twists but I'm afraid of the extra hair pulling at my strands as I am expecting to have postpartum shedding in a few months. Me using 2 braids with my own hair every other week is a way for me to substitute the time I would have spent in senegalese twists without the cost. lol

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
After the initial braids, I'll wait 3-4 days then spritz my hair with with conditioner/coconut oil & water mix and sit under my steamer. I don't bother it again until take down the day before wash day. When I say my hair is resting, it truly is resting. No co-washing, no take down to moisturize...none of that. My hair retains moisture really well especially if I use a good deep conditioner before braiding so I don't need all those extra products.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
2 years post relaxer with about 6-7 inches of relaxed ends.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Waist length yummy hair

5. When and how will you restyle your hair?
I either do 2 Goddess braids or just 2 cornrows on both sides. I pin them up into each other. I don't restyle through the week.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one).
1st is Length wise from my last roller set
2nd is my braid style right after washing

Last edited:

toaster

:bighug: lulu97!

Welcome! I'll be sure to add you to the challengers list tonight. I wish I knew how to French braid. I would turn my roller sets into one braid down the middle and be so happy.

toaster

Wanted to post a picture of tonight's bun. I attempted the second of the three protective styles naptural85 posted on YouTube and I love it! I think if I practice more I can get it a little neater, but there is no tension on my hair anywhere and it feels so light!

image-1898358134.jpg

image-2698474848.jpg

image-3515553637.jpg

image-3752451050.jpg

toaster

Froreal3 It was actually very easy and I'm super super style challenged. I think it helped that my hair was stretched so I didn't have to worry about trying to part my hair and pulling from a different section. Naptural85 pretty much inspired me to try doing roller sets or curlformers to keep my hair stretched because she does such pretty styles but almost always on stretched hair, and I wanted to try and copy.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYbhw0sNkk8

I attempted the second style.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
^^^^^^

No major changes happening for me in February. I am still set to to have two weeks of hair rest in Goddess braids as I did in January. I did experiment last month and added in a mid week steam session while in braids as I don't moisturize daily. My hair likes it so I'll attempt it again this month.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
My hair is in a banded ponytail right now.

I am in a bun or in braids daily.

I just need to maintain moisture in my hair a little better and I will be good to go.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
It's a new month so I thought I'd do a roll call. Any changes happening in February? Did January bring any surprises? Or are we all still trucking along with our regimens?

Pretty much just trucking along. I'm hoping these vitamins and sulfur oil will give my hair the boost it needs.

Tibbar

Hey toaster, thanks for the shout out... Still here, still twisting although this week I'm rocking two french braids. Will wash and deep condition (trying to get rid of some things in my stash) and probably go back into twists, or maybe bun --- will do something though... Not planning any major changes... Toying with doing a length check but I've been off heat for a while...

Soooooo hey everybody!! :weird:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Took my 2 braids down, finger combed and removed shed hair with some coconut oil. Bout to sit under my steamer for 20 minutes to let it soak in. Washing my hair tomorrow and roller setting so I'll be back next week.

I won't be adding pictures every time I do this because I PROMISE you my 2 braids look the same all the time and my take down process looks the same all the time. I'll maybe put up more in a few months to see if it gets bigger though. lol

Last edited:

toaster

lulu97 your hair is fabulous! I'm with you on my hair looking the same every time. Going to lay off the pictures for a few months and see if I can see a change.

DigitalRain

After 3 weeks of twisted hair I finally washed today :look: I did take down the original twists after 2 weeks and flat twisted my hair for a curly fro for a few days, and for the last couple of days pin curled my hair and wore a scarf. I have my hair in about 7 big twists letting it air dry before re twisting. I'll post pics of this months set of twists soon.

toaster

DigitalRain I can't wait for the pictures!

I'm getting excited about the upcoming months. Spring and summer are so nice for the hair and this winter has been horrific, so I'm ready for warmer weather.

I'm hoping to master the wash and go style this spring and get a Deva cut at a salon. I figure I'll rollerset Sunday night to get through the week and then wash and go Friday night. We'll see.

sgold04

My hair is currently in small twists, but after just one week, they frizzed up fast because of my workouts. I am getting Havana twists installed for the first time next month. Can you wash Havana twists? I work out pretty often, and I don't want to have 6 weeks worth of dirt in my hair. Has anyone ever used dry shampoo? How should I keep my hair clean and moisturized with the twists, without compromising the style?

toaster

Ceemarie82 I've never had braids or twists with added hair but I believe you can use witch hazel to cleanse your scalp with a q-tip, if you don't want to wash the twists constantly. I also think you can use a moisturizing braid spray once or twice a week to keep your hair moisturized.

lulu97 can you help us out?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My hair is currently in small twists, but after just one week, they frizzed up fast because of my workouts. I am getting Havana twists installed for the first time next month. Can you wash Havana twists? I work out pretty often, and I don't want to have 6 weeks worth of dirt in my hair. Has anyone ever used dry shampoo? How should I keep my hair clean and moisturized with the twists, without compromising the style?

Ceemarie82 Are Havana twists similar to senegalese twists? Those are the ones I get. When I have my twists done, I wait a month before washing. I know that may sound gross but I use minimal products (just African Royale braid spray a few times a week) and dry shampoo on the scalp weekly. Dove has a good one. At night, I would put them in 2 big braids and sleep with a bonnet. HTH

sgold04

lulu97 and toaster Thanks Ladies! Dry shampoo sounds like a good idea, and I can use the witch hazel after every workout. Havana twists are similar to senegelese, just a different type of hair. They are a lot like Marley twists.

DigitalRain

Pics of this week's twists