$20 and Up

lovelynights

I set myself to a budget of $20 a month for my hair products and supplies, but sometimes I come across something that I want to try. Kinky Curly, Curls, Mega-Tek, and a few other would eat up my budget for the month. I guess the real question is are these more expensive products worth it? And what produts do you use that cost more than $20?

Eisani

I set myself to a budget of $20 a month for my hair products and supplies, but sometimes I come across something that I want to try. Kinky Curly, Curls, Mega-Tek, and a few other would eat up my budget for the month. I guess the real question is are these more expensive products worth it? And what produts do you use that cost more than $20?

$20 a MONTH?! I don't know what I'd do with myself...I do have an alotted amount that I can spend every month on hair products that I try my best to not exceed. If I have money left over from the month before (rarely), I can roll it over to the following month's allowance.

Whether or not the higher price tag on certain things is worth it is going to be relative and will depend on what you're looking for. I only use a few things that are indivuidually priced over $20, but they are staples and worth every penny IMO.

Geminigirl

the only thing over twenty dollars i use is MT and I loves it. other than that...i haven't bought hair products in awhile. i need to though.

HoneyDew

:lachen::lachen: @ $20.

Even if my staples can be less than $20, like my fermodyl leave-in ampolues($2-3 each), I end up spending more because I buy two dozen count boxes every other month or so. That runs me about $40 + shipping.

Or even my Kenra Clarifying. It is $9 for a small bottle, but I prefer buying a liter or half gallon which goes way over $20 (although I can find a liter for $18 sometimes)

Even my Qhemet Moisturizers end of being more than $20 with shipping tacked on.

My Biolage Conditioning Balm is $22 a pop. Sometimes I can find a sale or get them cheaper on Ebay.

I used to purchase Activate shampoo and conditioners that were cheaper, and a bottle of the shampoo can last a while. But, I could go thorough 3 bottles of the conditioner in a month so that ends of being more than $20.

You know what though, my Nasabb Kelechi Oil, a VERY important staple, is only $10 a bottle plus shipping (although I normally buy 3 or 4 at a time). A bottle of that lasts me 3-4 months, if not longer, so that is one cheap staple for me.

ACV is cheap too. A bottle of that cost about $6 and lasts months and months because I only use a few ounces of it every month.

My relaxer, Profectiv Regular is about $12 and I only buy one kit to last me 2 touchups, or 4 months.

Over time, I guess I do have some cheaper things, but I could not limit myself to $20 a month. Maybe I can do $300/a year and buy as needed - maybe. :perplexed

lovelynights

I guess i am cheap with the $20:grin: a month but as im just starting on taking care of my hair my self and right now I dont want to go into pj overload. I mostly use suave naturals line and HE hello hydration or totally twisted for my co-washes. I have apple cider vinegar and the mizani thermasmooth for when i poo. I use cantu shea butter leave-in, but these are mostly cheap product so 20 goes a long way. As i progress in my journey i'm sure i'll go over my budget here and there or even increase it eventually but right now i'm taking thing slow.

Neith

I don't use anything that costs over $20. My budget is about $50 dollars, but I could do it for $20 too if I really buckled down.

I know, I know... y'all probably like "Hmmm... now we know why Neith don't got no hair" lol... but no, it's really working out for me. :yep:

tbaby_8

My budget isn't quite $20.00 but it is close to it. My DH has already told me that I don't need to buy one more hair product right now, so I am trying to use what I have up.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

It would really only work if that's all you really had to spend, or you already had a good arsenol of staple's. Other than that it's gonna be really hard to start out with. Especially when you start wanting to buy accessories, combs, clips, rollers and stuff.
Sometime I find reasons just to go buy hair stuff knowing darn well I don't need it.

Angelicus

My cosmetic budget is actually 35 dollars a month. This includes skincare, haircare, nailcare, and makeup products. It's doable!

loulou82

I think you can do it but it doesn't leave much room for whim purchases or experiments. It also depends on what your regimen includes. For example, a reggie that consists of pre pooing, co washing, frequent deep conditioning, and moisturizing twice a day requires more products than a wash and dc bi weekly and moisturize once a daily reggie.

Most of my products are under $20 (Aubrey Organics, Giovanni, Aphogee, oils). I only get in trouble when I buy online and pay for shipping (Elucence and Hair Veda). I haven't bought a hair product since September but that's because I have containers full of products. I could last well into next year without purchasing a single item.

justsimply

I think there are some products that are expensive and worth it with results that may not be found in a knock off. But usually a good product requires a small amount to be used so it lasts longer. So you shouldn't have to replace it every month. But not all expensive products are quality products.... If I found a product that I loved, I would pay $20 for it ONLY IF I didn't have to restock it and 5 other products every 2 weeks.

HoneyDew

I think there are some products that are expensive and worth it with results that may not be found in a knock off. But usually a good product requires a small amount to be used so it lasts longer. So you shouldn't have to replace it every month. But not all expensive products are quality products.... If I found a product that I loved, I would pay $20 for it ONLY IF I didn't have to restock it and 5 other products every 2 weeks.

I think this is my theory. I will pay the $$ for it, but it needs to last.

For example, I have been seeing raves for the Hydrathermal Naturals conditoner and the little bottle is pretty pricey for me, only because I know I will use that little bit up in NO TIME and need to buy more.

But I will pay that amount and more for products that will last. Qhemet Heavy Cream is so concentrated that it last a LONG TIME. It is money well spent.

Last edited:

PuddingPop

I think a $20 a month is do-able. If you think about it we really dont need a lot of products for our hair. I personally tend to accumulate a lot of things because there is always something new that i just have to try. The only products that I have that are over $20 are Mega Tek and Jane Carter N & S and I only have to buy the N & S once every 3-4 months and I expect to only have to buy the MT every 3-4 months too.

Eisani

I don't use anything that costs over $20. My budget is about $50 dollars, but I could do it for $20 too if I really buckled down.

I know, I know... y'all probably like "Hmmm... now we know why Neith don't got no hair" lol... but no, it's really working out for me. :yep:

:rolleyes: nah, we know better :grin:. As long as it works, why change anything, eh?

danigurl18

I think KCCC is a good investment.. It was about $35 with shipping.. I don't use it everyday.. maybe once a week.. and I have a lot left.. It makes the curls pop!

chebaby

$20 is funny. the only thing i use thats over $20 individually is my ojon revitalizing mist. with that said i never go in a store and come out with 1 thing. and i never go a whole week without buying something. lol. $20. moms would love you.

cuteazz1

I guess i am cheap with the $20:grin: a month but as im just starting on taking care of my hair my self and right now I dont want to go into pj overload. I mostly use suave naturals line and HE hello hydration or totally twisted for my co-washes. I have apple cider vinegar and the mizani thermasmooth for when i poo. I use cantu shea butter leave-in, but these are mostly cheap product so 20 goes a long way. As i progress in my journey i'm sure i'll go over my budget here and there or even increase it eventually but right now i'm taking thing slow.

Sweetie,don't feel bad about budgeting your money.I have seen more than a few people spend large amounts of money on hair products and then complain about paying their bills.You gotta work with what you got and me being the cheapskate that I am-I can appreciate a budget.I don't really have a budget for hair care I just take from my miscellaneous fund as needed.I don't pay full full price for ANYTHING in my life and that is the main way that I save money.I usually find most of my products on clearance online or at Kmart,Walmart or whatever.When I find a good deal I just stock up.I don't jump on every bandwagon on LHCF so that too,saves me money.If there is a product that I am interested in say..A new conditioner,I make sure that I have used up most of my stock at home first and by then I have usually forgotten about the latest "great thing."

You can do great on $20 a month and if there is something that costs more just save up for it- spend 15 this month and add on to next month and so on....good luck.

anon123

I have one product that I use that's over that, Aveda Damage Remedy intensive treatment. No, wait, I also have been using MT on my edges for the past 5 weeks and that bottle was $26. So was the Aveda DR. But it is definitely possible for me to go for less than $20/mo for hair care. Leaving out the MT, I can do:

Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo: less than $3
V05 Vanilla Mint Tea conditioner: 99 cents per bottle, used mostly for detangling
Treatment: conditioner + mayo, less than $4 a jar (replaces Aveda).
Leave-in: coconut oil @ $4 a jar + whatever. I can use a lot of things, but my favorite is Oyin Honey Hemp $9 + Oyin Whipped Pudding $10. But these two will last 3 months, so that's just $7/mo.

The shampoo, coconut oil, and mayo will also last longer than a month, the only thing I'd need to buy monthly is that V05 conditioner, and it's only a dollar.

Miamori

I think $20/month on products is feasible. I spent about $50 or so between May and June and didn't buy any more products until about 2 weeks ago. I bought about $90 worth including shipping.

So I am heavy handed, and I spent about $140 over a period of almost 6 months. That's in the ballpark of what you're projecting... just a few dollars more per month. :)

I will be buying more over the winter though, and then again in the summer before I leave the country. :look: I don't like buying products each month, so I prefer to just buy everything I want at one time, and then use it up or use it until I am sick of it and want to try something new.

prospurr4

When it comes to my hair products and supplies, it may take me three months to spend the whole $20. :lachen:

Since I co-wash only once per week and touchup my relaxer every 3 months, my products last a long time. Plus, my staples are very inexpensive, i.e. water, Suave and VO5 conditioners, Motions Lavish Shampoo, extra virgin coconut oil, castor oil and 99% aloe vera gel.

My most expensive staple is my Giovanni Direct Leave-in at $5 for an 8.5 oz. bottle:look:... and since I only use a small amount, it will last for years.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
is it just me or do i smell a challenge:yep: this would be easier for me than those buy nothing challenges

MJ

Two things:

~ My wig (approx. $20-$25). I buy one every few months.
~ 8 oz silk amino acids ($25). I've only bought this once (a few weeks ago), and I intend for it to last me through May.

My staple products cost less than $10 each, with the most expensive (Aubrey Organics conditoners) costing about $8.00 and the least expensive (Trader Joe's Nourish Spa) costing about $3.25.

Your budget is totally doable, but I'd suggest you put aside a $50 or $100 for once-in-while larger-ticket items. For example, my hair budget for this year is $25 per month. However, earlier in the year my hardbonnet dryer broke, and I had to replace it. I spent $44 on a soft bonnet dryer. Since, I don't buy hair stuff every month, I'd save up what I didn't spend and had a small cushion to cover the dryer without breaking my budget.

ETA:

A list of the basics:

~ Conditioner for deep conditioning
~ Conditioner for cowashing (optional)
~ Leave in moisturizer
~ Butters and/or oils for sealing
~ Protein treatment
~ Satin/silk scarf
~ Comb and/or brush for detangling

For some of these, you can successfully use food/kitchen items. For example, evoo or castor oil for sealing; yogurt or eggs for protein treatments (see Traycee's video); aloe vera juice plus glycerin or rose water for a moisturizing spritz/leave in (see Traycee's video); Trader Joe's nourish spa spiked with evoo, castor oil, molasses, etc. for deep conditioning (see Lady Libra's posts)...

You can have fabulous, healthy hair on a $20/month budget.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

I just wanted to add that alot of the salon brands can be bought at low prices if you just shop during sales. For example, Trade Secrets does a buy 1 get 1 free thing with Kenra so when they have it, I get two bottles. Its the liter sizes so 2 liters of it lasts me a GOOD minute. I pay 28 bucks for conditioner to last me 4-5 months.

Ulta just had redken liters on sale for 9.99 a piece. My precious joico gets bought only when its on sale so I get twice the product for the price. Since its very high quality (atleast to my hair), I can use much less and it last even longer. I am still nursing my kpak liter set I got last fall and trust me when I say, I can go through some product.

I generally spend less on products that are not going to spend as much time on my head like shampoo and I don't break the bank on protein products since there are many great treatments for no more than 5 bucks.

Also remember to check the cost per ounce when buying stuff. Sometimes, something that seems cheap because of the price isn't as cost effective when you do a oz by oz cost comparison.

lovelynights

Thanks for all the responses, I think I will try some of the products you ladies have listed especially the giovanni it has been catching my eye in kroger lately.

spacetygrss

Hmmm, I COULD spend only $20/month if I wanted to. I tend to find what I like, then buy 1+ liter(s) of it so that I don't have to buy again for awhile, so even though it's more than $20 dollars a pop, I only have to buy any every 3 or 4 months. I really don't use much anyhow. I use Joico Kpak line (1-2 times per month depending on my hair), Joico Moisture Recovery (shampoo, conditioner and balm), ORS Replenishing (alternate with Joico balm for DC), coconut oil. I have some Redken Cleansing Cream for clarifying which is used once a month and some Giovanni Direct that I've been using up. I found a couple of random things under my sink that I'll work into my routine to use them up (Nexxus Humectress and Keraphix, Giovanni Reconstructor). Seems like alot, but it's really meager by LHCF standards! LOL.